Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: U.S.I.C Bonus Time!!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: U.S.I.C Bonus Time!!

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarksalot View Post
    I haven't been in this business very long, but I would be disappointed to bust mhy butt in this heat all day long not get a raise and only get one small bonus in a year. How can this motivate you? The company I work for is still giving raises and we have a bonus plan for locators where I can get a bonus each week. The bonus is based on how much I bust my ass and it doesn't matter what the other guys do. I have been getting a bonus almost every week.

You hit a good point of the general topic of raises and bonuses.

A raise is divided into two areas of consideration.

First is an annual cost of living, col, raise to compensate for inflation. This is universal and applies to all techs.

Second, a big one, is how much the employee has enhanced their value in the last year.

If a newbie has completed their first year and have reached the level of skill a one year tech is expected to have then they are due a raise that matches their new skills. With the increase in job skills there also must be consideration of absenteeism and tardiness as part of job performance. Someone who cannot make it into work is of less value than someone who shows up and gets the job done. Job skills are of no value if the tech is not on the job using them.

A tech with more years of experience is generally of more value and should get raises in addition the COL raise.

The above are in-grade raises of raises to a higher grade.

I do not discount the fact that there are many multi-year techs who do not have the skill level their years in the service would imply. I knew a 10 year tech who had only marked water and when confronted with phone, power, CATV, etc. was of no more value than a newbie. They should have had a fast learning curve but they just did not get it.

I also knew a multi-year tech with experience in all utilities. But they were not good at the job because they had spent those years not getting out of the vehicle, just writing up tickets as if they had done the job. This one had very poor marking skills and happily is working at a competitors firm now, or at least sitting in one of their vehicles and drawing pay for work not performed.

One thing many techs cannot understand is that any job has a top of grade pay. There comes a point where raises other than COL are just not available.

Finally annual raises must be at a set date, either the begging of the year, employment anniversary date, etc. These dates must be adhered to and when a raise is awarded after the due date the raise must be retroactive to the due date. These techs can count and when a 5% raise is given 6 months late they know it is really only a 2 % raise.

sirmarksalot, you hit it right on the head about a bonus being based on an individuals performance, not on group performance. At least as far has having a bonus system to motivate techs to do an above average job.

Having a group bonus only system counters improving work more than promotes it. This is because there will always be techs who have cares only for themselves and never be a real part of any group effort. This is a personality defect and nothing can be done to change it. They will always do a less than good job, have absenteeism, tardiness, low production and try to push off their hard jobs onto other techs. When the other techs see these people getting the same share of the group bonus they feel, correctly, that the money they earned was just given to someone who did not earn it. This removes the motivation to do an above average job from the techs capable of doing this. In fact it encourages them not to work to their best ability so that they do not feel those poor techs are using them.

The individual bonus is far more powerful and not counter productive as a group only bonus is.

The individual bonus must have certain elements.

It must be obtainable. Some firms set bonus goals, in grade pay scales, so high that no one can get them. This way the company claims to have available a bonus, or hourly rate, that is not really there. The bonus must be obtainable.

The bonus amount must be of a significant amount, enough to be worth the extra effort made to obtain the bonus. If the bonus is too small then for the tech it is not worth the effort. Many firms, probably all or most, do not understand that a bonus system is self funding and costs no money.

For a production bonus any tech is worth so much an hour profit. There is a break even point in production where at that amount the company does not make a profit but does not lose money, below that amount money is lost.
    As the hourly rate of production increasing not only do profits go up but overhead stays basically the same. So a high production employee is making a higher hourly percentage of profit. A big part of this higher hourly percentage of profit is that these employees are now working less overtime, profits jump high with these employees. So a production bonus to these employees is only giving them a percentage of extra profits that the company would not have if they did not motivate that employee with a that share of extra profits.

Production bonuses are dropped, or failed to be implemented, when some office wonk with a college degree, or certification from the local community college, sees the bonus money as adding to the overhead and then is puzzled as to why production and profits drop when the bonus is removed.

Sharing extra profits is also how damage free bonus money works, it costs the company nothing, it is self funding. For a year the company can expect the average tech to get two or three damages. The average cost of a damage various but company and their clients but for many this is around $1,000 to $2,000 dollars. So if a tech is damage free for that year the company saves $3,000 to $6,000. Offering the tech $50 a quarter is not motivation because it is not worth it to the tech. This tech just saved to company between $3,000 and $6,000 so giving them $2000 makes them feel cheated and is counter productive. A quarterly or yearly check like this less taxes is not of an amount that makes all the above average effort worth it to them.

Also damage free bonuses must be based not on a set time period but on the number of party charges the tech has done. A yearly bonus for damage free means a tech in an area who does 3,000 tickets a year is the same for a tech who does 9,000 tickets a year. So a damage free bonus is based on party charges, just like a production bonus, and not just tickets done within a time frame.

Figure a bonus for every 3,000 party charges.

Damage free bonuses should also be like production bonuses, the longer damage free the larger the bonus. I worked at one firm where a bonus was given for every 3,000 party charges damage free. The first bonus was $50, then $100 and capped at $600. I can tell you this was very motivational. I would be out marking and on long hard day, tired and hot or cold, I would be feeling like; I have two years damage free and I can take a hit on this service being cut. But hey, that would be $600 out of my pocket and I would renew my efforts on the difficult to mark service.

Damage bonuses are dropped, or failed to be implemented, when some office wonk with a college degree, or certification from the local community college, sees the bonus money as adding to the overhead and then is puzzled as to why damages increase and profits drop when the bonus is removed.

Also the infamous "that is too much money to pay a locator".

The bottom line on production and damage free bonuses is this;
    They cost the company nothing, increases profits, lowers damages making the contract more secure.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Personally I never worked to get the bonus. To me it was a bonus for doing my job. When I first started I didn't even know we had a bonus program, until the supervisor put it out there as a carrot. I assigned to a team with 5 other guys and in 6 months I was he only one left of that class. I guess I wasn't smart enough and liked doing locating to get out, lol. My team was the worse in the state. I was doing 70-75hr a week and I think we didn't go through a week without some kind of damage. Our turnover rate was horrible. The new techs were luckily getting mentor with techs that did not use power mode as their primary. Each class one or two tech started taking pride in doing a good job. Through peer pressure and competition damages went down and bonuses came. It was great to get them. We became one of the best in the state. We got to the point that we didn't want to be the one that caused the team not to get the bonus. Then the next year came and they changed the bonus program. there was no way we could control the work habit of an entire group in order to get a bonus. I wasn't as upset of not getting a bonus, but that the company made it almost unattainable.

With their new bonus system someone figure it out and if I remember it right you can bust your as all the time and the bonus was like $200 every six months. Meanwhile by cutting corners and running your d**k into the dirt you made the company ungodly amount of profit. Why kill yourself for what $1.00 more a week

Usic gave me a 5% raise for all the OT i've worked....

Years of Experience

If only they gave me a bonus for Cigs/8 while working.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    If only they gave me a bonus for Cigs/8 while working.
    When I worked for USIC I couldn't afford to smoke.

Years of Experience
    too many

Usic gave me the shaft.....was told due to quality i didnt qualify...i have been arguing with the upers for 6 monts on bullshit damages (out of scope,digging prior to locate etc ) have backed it up with notes on the tickets and pictures, measurements. Guess thats what happens when you get people who dont give a shit.....

Btw.....everyone can see my name ....i dont hide (dont get offended anyone) my name because usic dont like us to speak our mind. On top of that i have given them notice .they can have there bounus and ill take all my production out the dam door . Let them add more locates push us harder .here we added 3 more locates , didnt get a raise or extra people.

Years of Experience

hang in there buddy!!! something good may be around the corner????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Most USIC techs will be receiving a 1% - 2.5% bonus in the next couple of weeks.

Will you be satisfied with this small reward?

Did you know USIC Supervisors make bonus every month?

It begins....
    No, I didn't know that....in fact..they don't.

b.s.
    we do not get any bonus in my district because we are a union.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedover View Post
    No, I didn't know that....in fact..they don't.
    Most Sups do. In fact my supervisors make $500 to hit plan and $750 to exceed plan. Pretty nice bonus for 1 month.

What now?

Snuck into a couple supervisor conference calls. I know they make 3it different bonuses a month. Quality, on Time percentages, and retention of new hire employees. Just throwing that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Most USIC techs will be receiving a 1% - 2.5% bonus in the next couple of weeks.

Will you be satisfied with this small reward?

Did you know USIC Supervisors make bonus every month?

It begins....
    Is it true that if you get "one" damage, you don't get a bonus? Im new to the company. Since 5/2012. Some say it wont matter....some say it will. Don't know what to believe.

Years of Experience

I started same time you did....I got nothing !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123