Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trying to get a job with USIC

Default Trying to get a job with USIC

Hi.

I'm from West Virginia (on the Virginia border) and I'm trying to start a career with USIC. I've known about the company for quite some time and I lived a little farther than where they were hiring at in the years past and was never considered even for an interview. I submitted multiple times online and never was called or anything. I got on my profile and noticed that my location was from where I was previously, which was a good 90 minute drive from the location they were hiring at and I updated to my new location, which is in the same town. I am thinking that is why I might not had been considered in the past, but I updated my information to my current location.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I submitted my application almost one month ago and hadn't heard anything back. I have a great work background and feel I could offer the company a lot if they'd consider me. After not hearing anything back, I emailed them asking about my application status and I got a response saying "they have reviewed my application and will contact me when they are scheduling interviews in my area". It's been nearly a month and my application status just says "reviewed" and the rest all say "multiple applications".

Could anyone tell me if they've had this type of experience before? I'm really really wanting a shot as a locate technician but it seems like I can't get ahead for nothing. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you for any input. I hope to soon be a locator and stick around and share some stories with you guys. Thanks for having me.
    Last edited by 5_Speed; May 16th, 2016 at 05:01 PM.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Trying to get a job with USIC

Sounds like they just aren't hiring in your area right now.

Years of Experience

could be multiple reasons why they are not giving you a chance??? but right now is the absolute easiest time to GET hired in this field in just about any area in the US where a contract locating company is . Chances are every office in the major cities in your state is probably about 5 locators short per office. show that you are a good worker and you will get a chance......if your application says otherwise...than good luck .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    could be multiple reasons why they are not giving you a chance??? but right now is the absolute easiest time to GET hired in this field in just about any area in the US where a contract locating company is . Chances are every office in the major cities in your state is probably about 5 locators short per office. show that you are a good worker and you will get a chance......if your application says otherwise...than good luck .
    They wasn't giving me a chance previously due to lack of work experience and my location, probably. That was a couple of years ago though. What gets me now is they've posted their job locally on indeed.com and other websites and says "we are hiring locators in this area" and two of the areas are within 15 minutes from me (now, since I've relocated). Indeed.com says more than 50 people have applied to each of them. Yet, they have not closed the job down (it's been over a month).

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest in USIC. We have received your application and you will be contacted when we are scheduling interviews in your area. If you need to update your contact information, you can do so online at Job Opportunities | USIC, or by calling us at 407-480-5545.

Thank you.

^^ That's the email I received 4 days ago, nearly a month after applying.

It just has me curious because most people tend to say they hire quickly.

Years of Experience

Try to find a locator or supe out and about. Tell them you want a job and they can have your app sent from the company they use to screen resumes. The company just sends x number of contacts to USIC doesn't matter if they are qualifed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Try to find a locator or supe out and about. Tell them you want a job and they can have your app sent from the company they use to screen resumes. The company just sends x number of contacts to USIC doesn't matter if they are qualifed or not.
    Not a bad idea. I rarely see their trucks around though. I wonder what areas would be the best bet to look for?

I have a CDL license and heavy equipment experience, I'm not sure if those things would hurt me or help me?

Thanks!

Years of Experience

both of those would help you if you have the job experience to go with it . consider paying someone to do a GOOD resume for you (one that stands out) and reapply . if you have that you have worked for 10-20 different company's for all short spans of time then I would not bother reapplying .....they will not put you to work right away like a minimum wage job will. it is a process that sometimes takes weeks to go through and depends when the next training class starts. I agree with Orange , if you really want this , get out and try finding the contractors trucks in the neighbor hood , mainly where new construction is going on. if you don't won't to go that route, call a dig ticket to your house and have him/her come to you to ask questions.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    both of those would help you if you have the job experience to go with it . consider paying someone to do a GOOD resume for you (one that stands out) and reapply . if you have that you have worked for 10-20 different company's for all short spans of time then I would not bother reapplying .....they will not put you to work right away like a minimum wage job will. it is a process that sometimes takes weeks to go through and depends when the next training class starts. I agree with Orange , if you really want this , get out and try finding the contractors trucks in the neighbor hood , mainly where new construction is going on. if you don't won't to go that route, call a dig ticket to your house and have him/her come to you to ask questions.
    That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if my Resume is holding me back or not. I've got a Class A CDL with Tanker/Hazmat, heavy equipment experience. Work wise I work for Pepsi right now, but was knocked down to part-time after a recent union bid (goes by seniority). I've hauled propane, oxygen, worked construction, pressure washing from a bucket truck and worked at a grocery store. That is all over the span of nine years. I think I've had 7 jobs total. 4 of them have been lay offs or company's closing down, 1 of them was a temporary job where I filled in for an injured driver that was out on back surgery, 1 I left voluntarily and the one I'm at now I've taken about a $30,000 per year pay cut after our jobs were rebidded.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Sounds like you could use your experience to make better money elsewhere. USIC starting pay sux and raises are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Sounds like you could use your experience to make better money elsewhere. USIC starting pay sux and raises are few and far between.
    Not about money at this point. More about doing something I think I would enjoy and doing something I could see myself long-term (retiring with).

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Not sure if this helps or answers any questions. I also run UtilityES.com (formerly, locatorjobs.com) and when USIC wanted to hire anyone they would hire through an agency from what I saw. They would post jobs but the link went to a staffing website instead of to the USIC website. This may be different in other locations. It may be country wide. I don't know. So, maybe you could find out the name of the service they go through and go knocking on their door... that is, if they do use a service in your area.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

your CDL permit makes it sound like you would not stay long with them. But SUE (subsurface utility Engineering ) firms use heavy vac trucks that require a CDL permit. you would start off entry level driving and working the jack hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    your CDL permit makes it sound like you would not stay long with them. But SUE (subsurface utility Engineering ) firms use heavy vac trucks that require a CDL permit. you would start off entry level driving and working the jack hammer.
    I think that's a bad mindset to have if they do share that way of thinking. Just because someone has an extra credential doesn't mean they only want to use that one line of work. I made my CDL because it made me more inclined to find a job, not because it was the only thing I wanted to do. If I could find a job that was good and allowed me to not have to deal with driving a truck, that would be ideal.

Anyway, just an update, they closed the job on their website - says they're no longer accepting new applications. I guess this is where they browse through their current applications and schedule interviews? I hope I'm chosen to at least hear me out.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Good luck. You don't need to be a locator to be a member of the forum.
    UULC likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Speed View Post
    I think that's a bad mindset to have if they do share that way of thinking. Just because someone has an extra credential doesn't mean they only want to use that one line of work. I made my CDL because it made me more inclined to find a job, not because it was the only thing I wanted to do. If I could find a job that was good and allowed me to not have to deal with driving a truck, that would be ideal.

Anyway, just an update, they closed the job on their website - says they're no longer accepting new applications. I guess this is where they browse through their current applications and schedule interviews? I hope I'm chosen to at least hear me out.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    This industry has a problem with people using the locator job as a holding place until the get the job they really want. We don't make money on a new locator until they get over their early damage costs and their production levels rise. So if a prospect just appears the will only be there short time the are passed over.

Don't lie about the CDL but don't put it on our resume for a locating job that does not require a CDL.
    TheCableVine, UULC and Madcow101 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast