Thread: Sunbelt Telecommunication Services, Inc.

Default Sunbelt Telecommunication Services, Inc.

does anybody work for or have worked for this company? any info on pay and how it goes working for them? i sent them my resume for any future openings in the state i live in and the director contacted me and asked if i was interested in working in one of the other states they operate of out. any info would be great! thank you in advance

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sunbelt Telecommunication Services, Inc.

Isn't this the company that requires the use of your own vehicle? It wierds me out when they put... "Cell phone and Laptop is required." to me, if it is needed for the job, it should be supplied by the job.

Just sayin.

Mke

i would assume you have to use your own car and laptop like how linderlake does, but for something like that, the job should pay alot more than like the very large crappy locating company most work for. someone on here has got to work for them or did in the past that can give me some info. i am thinking about relocating to another state where they have work.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I am not familer with that firm.

From what you have described there are some very important questions to be asked.

The first and biggest is are they hiring you as an employee or an independent contractor?

If you are employee you can expect reimbursement for your personal vehicle use, just make sure it is clear what they offer. Check onthier insurance requirements as now your vehicle goes from personal to business use, higher insurance rates. Also it is not uncommon for the employer to require you to have an additional 'umbrella' insurance policy to cover their costs should they be sued for an accident by you.

If you are an independent contractor you are not an employee, minimum wage laws do not apply. Also they I expect they will not be paying unemployment insurance on you so when that job ends no unemployment insurance unless you as a contractor are paying into the state fund, an additional expense to deduct what you expect your income to be.

You will not be able to participate in their health insurance coverage.

If you are an independent contractor, not an employee of that firm, you pay both halves of the Social Security tax so double what you had estimated you would pay.

And finally and worst case find out who pays for damages and get that in a written employment contract. Some of these firms using locators as independant contractors have sued the locator for the costs of damages.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

PL nailed it. There is so much more to consider in situations like that. Not only do you have to worry about the car insurance and any umbrella that might be required but you probably have to get a professional liability insurance if you are going to work under contract. $30 an hour sounds great, untill $15 of that goes to expenses. Its probably an "on-call" contract so you will only get paid when you get a call to locate. which may or may not be full time.

Ask tons of questions and get everything in writing.

Mke