Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Stake Center Locating

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Stake Center Locating

I have been working for Stake Center Locating for 14 months now. All I locate is fiber. I live in Florida and when I took the job with SCL I had to go to Memphis for 8 months until a job opened in Florida. I have moved back to my home town. When I took this job, I had to leave my home and family. In all that time I was only home for 5 days.

I have to say working for SCL is a MAJOR difference then working for USIC. Yes we have GPS and the starting pay is better then average. I have not had a raise in that 14 months. I am on call 24/7/365 but here I rarely get a call out. In Memphis I was called out at all times of nite and weekends.

I have a manager that really cares for his employees.

I think there is about 450-500 employees. They like to hire folksexperienceriance. This is a small company compared to others. SCL has been fair to me for the most part. As long as you do your job you will be ok.

Most people who troll this site will know who I am but I am a person who say's it like it is. No Bull Shit. So for the other folks who have asked what it is like to work for SCL this is just my pexperienceperiance and in no way represent the company views.

Just sayin.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Stake Center Locating

Congratulations to you, sounds like you found your match! It's amazing how much difference there is between the extremes in this business. Some companies are really tuned in, but as we all know, many aren't the most sympathetic bunch. Thanks for taking the time, and best of luck man!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Stake Center has an overall very good reputation among locators and anyone can feel confident in applying to work with them.

My effort to work with them was negative but not with Stake Center the company, just the one person they had running things in my area.

See here in my area was a small operation, not even an office. The Manager / Supervisor (Foreman) wore all the management hats and was a working locator with his own territory to mark. He did no show and no call with me for two job interviews we had set up, said he got emergencies to go on when I days later was able to get him to answer his phone. This of course would not have prevented him from calling me and having me meet him after the emergencies. Also they had the option of a company vehicle or being reimbursed for using their own which was the option they had all taken. When I found out where the trucks were kept out of state I told the guy I could travel and pick one up when hired after which he simply did not answer or return any of my calls. I guess that he just did not want to add dealing with company trucks which I found out later was not his option. I hear now that guy is long gone.

In my area Stack Center just got stuck with a poor worker to run things, overall a good company.

Years of Experience

Hey U; I'm getting a little misty eyed!!! Just remember, you still got to keep your eye on your hours!

Years of Experience
    30+

I work my 40 then I am done.

Years of Experience

What fiber do they locate in FL? What areas?

just curious

Years of Experience
    30+

We locate XO Communications, FPL Fibernet & Fiberlite.

Years of Experience

sounds like this feller took a lying page out of the usic book!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wtjohnson12 View Post
    Employment at Stake Center Locating is not just a job, it's an exciting career with a stable company and great benefits. No experience is necessary with our in-depth training program. thanks..

Georgetown Mortgage Bank

We provide home mortgages, refinances, construction loans and reverse mortgages to people across the state of Texas.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I've heard good things about Stake Center but WT Johnson is a personal injury lawyer out of Dallas so I'm not sure what gives.

Years of Experience
    30+

When he said they had a great training program I knew something was up. SCL requires 2 years experience to com on. They will not hire anyone with no knowledge. I have nothing but good things to say. It could use improvement on benefits and wages. But I know if you have 2 years under your belt the Will start you out at $16 per hr.

Your manager is the one who has your back. Do your job and no worries. Sandbag tickets, and jack around and you become the target in the logo.
    PrecisionLocating likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    When he said they had a great training program I knew something was up. SCL requires 2 years experience to com on. They will not hire anyone with no knowledge. I have nothing but good things to say. It could use improvement on benefits and wages. But I know if you have 2 years under your belt the Will start you out at $16 per hr.

Your manager is the one who has your back. Do your job and no worries. Sandbag tickets, and jack around and you become the target in the logo.
    errr.... They would like people with experience, but I've got two guys from stake center in my area who do not have any previous experience in locating. One of which i'm extremely concerned for because he's severely bullshitting his way through the locates.

I've seen him connect to a screw on the back of a can that is not grounded to the cables and walk accross the street to the work area and turn the RD to the passive radio freequency to find his cable. (Ironically enough, when I located two weeks previously for design I got his cable 4' over from where he located it. The good news is he located the abandoned gas line realitively accurately.)

Just sayin.

Mke
    rreid9 likes this.

Years of Experience
    30+

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    errr.... They would like people with experience, but I've got two guys from stake center in my area who do not have any previous experience in locating. One of which i'm extremely concerned for because he's severely bullshitting his way through the locates.

I've seen him connect to a screw on the back of a can that is not grounded to the cables and walk accross the street to the work area and turn the RD to the passive radio freequency to find his cable. (Ironically enough, when I located two weeks previously for design I got his cable 4' over from where he located it. The good news is he located the abandoned gas line realitively accurately.)

Just sayin.

Mke
    That is the other end of the country from me. I would hope that the supervisor would do audits on that person. I do know my supervisor does audits on me and I welcome them. I want to know when I am wrong BEFORE I HAVE A DAMAGE!

Years of Experience
    17 years

That is the other end of the country from me. I would hope that the supervisor would do audits on that person. I do know my supervisor does audits on me and I welcome them. I want to know when I am wrong BEFORE I HAVE A DAMAGE!
    I agree. Why fear audits? They don't slow you down and if you're doing your job right and not taking short-cuts, the auditor will prove it.
    Last edited by daman1; November 24th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.

Years of Experience

Man i wish they were here in ky , i work hard for those who have my back . Glad to hear you like your job .

Years of Experience

do they have any open positions in Florida near Disney World ????? ha !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast