Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SM&P Hiring Freeze

Default SM&P Hiring Freeze

We have heard a rumor that SM&P has instituted a Hiring Freeze. Has anyone else heard the same? It is very recent and we also heard that they were supposedly calling peolple that were starting class today, 6/02, to 'fuhgettaboutit".
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Hmmm...sounds like what happened to me in 2007. I was scheduled to start class but the day came and no one ever called until a week later, then it was "oh sorry, we don't have enough people for a full class" A month later I got in and here I am. Not sure if that's good or bad!

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    We have heard a rumor that SM&P has instituted a Hiring Freeze. Has anyone else heard the same? It is very recent and we also heard that they were supposedly calling peolple that were starting class today, 6/02, to 'fuhgettaboutit".

Hey there Spray:

Would that be because they believe they may have too many people with the amalgamation?

utiliquest in va is on a hiring freeze thats the only one i heard about

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Hey there Spray:

Would that be because they believe they may have too many people with the amalgamation?
    It has to do with the efficiency numbers in certain districts. They figure if you can not hit your numbers then you are over staffed. Also if your On time Percentage is close to 100%, why hire more people. But that is not happening everywhere!
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience

I think everyone is till the merger goes through they want to see if anyone wants to transfer probally

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMap View Post
    It has to do with the efficiency numbers in certain districts. They figure if you can not hit your numbers then you are over staffed. Also if your On time Percentage is close to 100%, why hire more people. But that is not happening everywhere!

I heard later last nite that the new management believes that the new co. overall is overstaffed and until they determine exactly where this is, everyone is going to pay the price. Ain't this just lovely? Being lumped all together. Again, I hope I am wrong, but I don't like the feel or smell of this type of corporate thinking.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    na

I heard it to...

But most of the trimmings will be from the top down...

All you management people hovering around the site better get those resumes

tideyd up...

Years of Experience

Years of Experience

Hiring Freeze = Mucho Overtime =

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMap View Post

Holy Crap Batman:

So they work the few they have to the bone not realizing there is a point of burnout in everyone? We have no where near enough people to do all the work but I believe our on time is within a percentage or two of 100% could be wrong though. Some of us Seniors are assigned to territories and get to know the infrastructure quite well so can do more tickets in less time compared to a nubee. Many times I can take a quick look at the area to ensure nothing was SNUCK in when I wasn't lloking, then go to all my known hookup points. Saves a ton of time not having to search each time for hook up points.

Our economy is moving along quite well, but for some reason I am pretty sure our numbers are not what they were last year. Could be wrong though! So not as much pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Hiring Freeze = Mucho Overtime =
    Nyet. Let's look at this through the eyes of a locator who sees a large urban market severely understaffed year after year...

Hiring Freeze = late tickets = burnout = damages = burnout = vehicle accidents - burnout = comp claims = burnout = turnover = burnout = Hiring Freeze .....

Now we're told, " Don't worry, help is on the way!".

From the CLS crew. Only last week we got word that 18 or so didn't pass drug tests, or their USIC paperwork, or...

And 8 CLS sups were demoted to locator. Some CLS guys are transferring OUT of this area!

And let's see how many pass the Nicor " let's weed out the feeble minded" gas training. We'll lose a good size chunk of 'em there.

CLS has an OUTSIDE company doing phone tickets in the greater Chicago area while they train, etc. !

No such help here. Just locators quitting, and getting fired. With a multi million dollar phone contract just over the hill.... overtime? Great! Just don't expect me to work over 100 hours a week, because you didn't think it would be cost effective to hire sufficiently.

Or is it your bonus? You know, the one you get if you cut costs to the bone, to the detriment of your field staff?

The one you don't think anyone knows about? That bonus?

Like the title of another thread that was posted on this board recently:

Different Name, Same Game!

Sounds like an even bigger nightmare than ya'll are going through in other parts, eh?

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking I Just Heard

I just heard that layoff's are coming in Florida for USIC. They will be looking at the low producers and non-productive locators. There is a possibility of the loss of the FPL contract in Florida due to the price FPL pay's for tickets.

So to the locators who just coast, your day's are numbered.

Years of Experience
    na

Unhappy

I already have paint palsey and flagitis in my good hand...

Whats an old timer to do???

From what I've heard, There is no freeze. Most areas that need the help have classes going on. By the way, the idea is to be slightly understaffed, You save on the overhead costs (insurance, vehicle costs, etc.). Do I agree with this. Hell no. But, the overhead costs are what a company looks at. Figure 25k per locator in overhead costs. The wages do equal out (60 hours by a senoir tech per 90 hours by 2 newbies).
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast