• 2 Post By Mark
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By paintitnow
  • 1 Post By yahoo

Thread: Samco

Years of Experience

Default Samco

Came from USIC after 7 years.
    At first SAMCO was a breath of fresh air but after a year or so they started to become just like USIC.
    Not enough help and of course promising they'll fix it.... Yet nothing gets done.

Went from working 10 hours a day and only a few Saturdays, to demanding you work 12 + hours and every Saturday.

So here I am contemplating another move to a rival locate company.

Why can't they just realize their employees have lives and not expect them to work from dark to dark.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Samco

Quote Originally Posted by sotiredofitall View Post
    Came from USIC after 7 years.
    At first SAMCO was a breath of fresh air but after a year or so they started to become just like USIC.
    Not enough help and of course promising they'll fix it.... Yet nothing gets done.

Went from working 10 hours a day and only a few Saturdays, to demanding you work 12 + hours and every Saturday.

So here I am contemplating another move to a rival locate company.

Why can't they just realize their employees have lives and not expect them to work from dark to dark.
    Because the bottom line is money. The company you work for must show a profit, at any cost, year after year. At any cost. And that means treating you like a tool to make money, literally. Do you really think they care about you, your Family or kids? Your life? Lol, no. It's a cut throat biz and you are the pawn.

USIC has gotten a bad rep in my area and most utility contractors are in agreement and joke about them. it's not a secret around here. I can't blame the guys doing the work cuz they are just WAAAAY overload. Great guys that do quality work, but they are just swamped. ALWAYS late on deadlines. Same story just a new year.

So yeah, I hope your not the snowflake type, but your company looks at you and sees how much they can squeeze outta you to make the books look good. They don't look at you as an investment in their company.

JMHO. Good luck Brother.

Years of Experience

This "snowflake" term that has been born after trump was elected.....not sure what thats supposed to mean.
    If it means weak,then obviously I'm not.
    Anyone who has stuck with a locating job for 10 years,is definitely not a "snowflake".
    Locating is locating, no matter who you work for,I realize that now.

All locate companies ARE the same.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

There are two major flaws in the structure of locate firms that affect other industry as well.

One is a management bonus structure that gives bonuses based on net profits without achieving other goals. So a manager does things that reduce immediate costs that show higher quarterly net profits at the expense of the long term capability of the company.

The other is that the locate firm's majority stock shared is owned by an investment company. They pay X dollars for all that stock and then demand dividends they want based on what they paid at the expense of the long term health of the locate firm.

One year before the Texas holding company sold their holdings in S&N field costs were cut to the bone and beyond. Preventive maintenance of the fleet was reduced to oil changes. Repairs were not authorized until the vehicle broke down. Items the mechanic listed as needing replacement were ignored and only enough fixed to get vehicle on road. Friendly repair shops were used, I took a car in for yearly registration inspection. I dropped keys on front desk, walked across hal to bathroom and within 5 minutes had a passed state inspection sticker.

Supervisors were supposed to do two field audits of employee locates weekly. There was not enough equipment in inventory for the supervisors to have locate equipment and when they did they only kept it for a few days before it was given to locators to replace worn out equipment.

When the new holding company got the firm the expenses did not reflect the need for a new fleet and other deficiency's caused by neglect so the demand for bottom line dollars was based on the assumption that expenses shown were accurate and showed the actual operating expenses needed. After the new holding company things went from bad to worse.
    UULC and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by sotiredofitall View Post
    This "snowflake" term that has been born after trump was elected.....not sure what thats supposed to mean.
    If it means weak,then obviously I'm not.
    Anyone who has stuck with a locating job for 10 years,is definitely not a "snowflake".
    Locating is locating, no matter who you work for,I realize that now.

All locate companies ARE the same.
    It appears he was not implying that you were a snowflake or hoping you were not one. Like most locating companies we are production and one place they can try and save $$. The snowflakes are like that girl on her knees screaming and crying because Trump won. Snowflakes are they people who's feelings are hurt very easily. They people that need the safe places on campus. They need segregation, which goes against what a university is to be. It is to be diverse and smart people having discussions instead of screaming and yelling at each other. Universities and college was where one would go to be a free thinker now it is just indoctrination.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

buddy , you came to the right place to tell us how you feel ....we feel your pain !!!!!!!!! we all know what your going thru ...hang in there . honest 8 hours do your job do the right thing when you can come back to the vine and tell us how you really feel ...you will make it !!!! i agree with what was said above !!! it's all about money ...
    sotiredofitall likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato