Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S&N Locating Jobs - Md and Va on locatorjobs.com

Years of Experience

Default Re: S&N Locating Jobs - Md and Va on locatorjobs.com

Quote Originally Posted by UTILQ1 View Post
    the 2012 merger between Exelon and Constellation - USIC was aready tied to Exelon for locate services.

thats the true reason of why USIC got it.
    Now that Exelon has purchased PEPCO does anyone think that USIC will be in line to take over the locating contracts for them also. Seems to be what is happening in other Exelon areas. I think I read that the purchase is expected to be finalized at the end of 2015. I believe that the current contracts that Utiliquest, DCI and OCC Locating go to sometime in 2016.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Have Paint Stick View Post
    Now that Exelon has purchased PEPCO does anyone think that USIC will be in line to take over the locating contracts for them also. Seems to be what is happening in other Exelon areas. I think I read that the purchase is expected to be finalized at the end of 2015. I believe that the current contracts that Utiliquest, DCI and OCC Locating go to sometime in 2016.
    Utiliquest lost Prince Georges county Maryland and later Montgomery County Maryland leaving them only DC. This was after locating for Pepco for about 25 years, first when they were Byer's Engenring.

As I recall Constellation owned Baltimore Gas and Electric and the merger still left Utiliquest holding the BG&E contract.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Utiliquest lost Prince Georges county Maryland and later Montgomery County Maryland leaving them only DC. This was after locating for Pepco for about 25 years, first when they were Byer's Engenring.

As I recall Constellation owned Baltimore Gas and Electric and the merger still left Utiliquest holding the BG&E contract.
    This is true but once the Exelon merger was complete with BGE and the locate contract was set to end it was put out for bid and we lost it to USIC. Also we lost the contract for DC not Montgomery, we are still in Montgomery. DCI is in DC and OCC is locating in PG County.

Years of Experience

This is true but once the Exelon merger was complete with BGE and the locate contract was set to end it was put out for bid and we lost it to USIC. Also we lost the contract for DC not Montgomery, we are still in Montgomery. DCI is in DC and OCC is locating in PG County.
    Thanks for the info on Montgomery County, had that confused.

I had not heard that the BG&E contract was lost to USIC. I don't expect them to hold it long.

Now that the cats out of the bag I can speak of what was said to me in confidence. BG&E began feeling out potential bidders to replace Utiliquest almost two years ago. They said to the person sent as a representative that they were not looking to have Utiliquest's bid beaten, they just wanted Utiliquest out.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Thanks for the info on Montgomery County, had that confused.

I had not heard that the BG&E contract was lost to USIC. I don't expect them to hold it long.

Now that the cats out of the bag I can speak of what was said to me in confidence. BG&E began feeling out potential bidders to replace Utiliquest almost two years ago. They said to the person sent as a representative that they were not looking to have Utiliquest's bid beaten, they just wanted Utiliquest out.
    I believe that it has been 2+ years since USIC has been marking BG&E. Have not heard how their doing as far as damages, on time performance, ect.

As far as Utiliquest and BG&E wanting out at virtually any cost, I heard something along the same lines as what you were saying above.

Getting back to original concern, I don't think its a matter of if Exelon will give the contract to USIC but when, completely based on how they have handled these situations in other parts of the country.

Years of Experience

Its true BGE wanted UQ gone. Eveything started going down when we got a new vice president around 11 or 12. The main region manager left and so have several managers. they lost atlanta which was one of there main areras. the clients havent been happy since. pepco now has 4 companies marking there lines and i hear washington gas only extended because it would just be a hastle to try someone new. ive been here for over 7 years and I stay because I dont want to move. Not a happy place to work for sure. expect them to lose more or get bought sooner than later.

Years of Experience

I believe that it has been 2+ years since USIC has been marking BG&E. Have not heard how their doing as far as damages, on time performance, ect.

As far as Utiliquest and BG&E wanting out at virtually any cost, I heard something along the same lines as what you were saying above.

Getting back to original concern, I don't think its a matter of if Exelon will give the contract to USIC but when, completely based on how they have handled these situations in other parts of the country.
    Thanks for jogging my frail memory, it was that awhile back. I am surprised USIC lasted this long.

Since BG&E pushed out Utiliquest and they have lost 2/3 of the Pepco area Exelon may exert influence and replace them. For that matter they may give their entire area to another firm and maybe USIC. I imagine they are listing to the feedback from BG&E on how the USIC offices in that area conducts themselves.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locateman2011 View Post
    Its true BGE wanted UQ gone. Eveything started going down when we got a new vice president around 11 or 12. The main region manager left and so have several managers. they lost atlanta which was one of there main areras. the clients havent been happy since. pepco now has 4 companies marking there lines and i hear washington gas only extended because it would just be a hastle to try someone new. ive been here for over 7 years and I stay because I dont want to move. Not a happy place to work for sure. expect them to lose more or get bought sooner than later.
    Do you mean move geographically or to another company? Job prospects in our area do not offer much and moving to another state may be the only answer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123