Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S&N Locating Jobs - Md and Va on locatorjobs.com

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default S&N Locating Jobs - Md and Va on locatorjobs.com

S&N Locating Jobs - Md and Va

For those that missed it S&N Locating has posted to LOCATORJOBS.COM seeking applicants for Maryland and Northern Virginia.

I have written a few things I have seen below, you have to ask your questions about what goes on in the job interview. As I am not the boss I do not to get to know what all changes may be made. I am only pointing out where the job is posted, this is not by me an offer of employment, pay, benefits or anything else.

The contact to send a resume to is in the job posting. This is the person who calls the shots and submits the candidates applications. Part of the application process is mandated by the clientís locate contract, a criminal background check. So if interested get your resumes in fast as the process can take a little time.

First Maryland.

They are looking for experienced locators to mark a fiber optic job. This is a FO system being installed by Maryland State Government. It will reach across the counties connecting schools, firehouses and various government buildings. This installation is being done mostly by the parent company S&N Communications.

Once an area is completed the counties have the option to determine how locating will be done. Right now S&N Locating is marking the FO. Anne Arundel County looks like they are going to mark the FO in there area in-house.

As far as locating jobs go this one has some number of thing locators look for.

First off the contract requires a locator in each area for 9 hours a day. So there is an automatic 5 hours of overtime a week.

The state contract requires a minimum hourly pay scale that the locating firm cannot pay less than, and no that does not mean minimum wage. Not for me to say the amount but it is decent which is part of why they are looking for experienced locators.

Each locator upon completion of their tickets is supposed to patrol the cable route looking out for excavations that are being done with no ticket. Also to work with contractors working along the route and protect the FO. This type of work requires an experienced tech, they seek not less than 3 years experience, who is self starting, good work attitudes and works with a minimum of supervision.

Since you are only marking where this FO runs, and it does not run everywhere, the tickets have so far been mostly no conflict. This work may not be hard enough for many of you. Since you only mark along the cable run each locator is expected to get a county to themselves. Looks like more time spent driving than marking.

The company provided vehicle comes with a gas card and of course you drive it home. Sorry Utiliquest locators, there are no microphones or cameras recording you in the vehicles. There is a GPS tracker but the only alerts it is set to send to supervisors is for exceeding a preset maximum speed and excessive idling. If you do have to idle to keep the flashing light running or other reasons you just notify your supervisor backed up by an e-mail.

This looks like one of the easiest locating jobs I have seen offered.

------------

They also advertise for locating positions in Northern Virginia. Under Ďcityí it says Herndon but that is only where the office is. The area covered is from Dulles Airport to Alexandria and south to Fort Belvoir, Va.. Daily you go straight from home to your work area so for some locations in Maryland and DC commuting to work is feasible.

Anybody who comes into the firm must get company certification to work on Verizon lines. To do this you must attend class in Virginia down by Zion Crossroads. Along with Verizon drawing and equipment training you are given safety training for working on along railroad tracks because this work also covers MCI, a Verizon owned company. There is also a driver safety course and I believe first aid training. So expect to spend 2 & 1/2 weeks in class.

For those over 90 minutes from the classroom a hotel room is provided for the school days, weekends you go home. Transportation to and from training is your personal vehicle, you will not be issued a company vehicle until you successfully complete the class.

You are on the payroll during the time you attend class.

There is a Per Diem offered to help cover the extra cost of food since you donít have your home kitchen to make breakfast, pack and lunch and cook dinner. This is only paid as reimbursement, no receipts needed, mailed out as a check next week. A lot of trainees stopped at the nearby Wal-Mart and get a frozen dinner for the motel microwave, if the room had a microwave. It reduces your costs but unless you are a frugal shopper does not cover the entire cost.

Some people have accepted these jobs and then called and said they had no transportation or no gas money or money for food during training, that unless this was provided up front they would not show up. The company does not do this up front so donít accept the job if you canít get to the training and feed yourself.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: S&N Locating Jobs - Md and Va on locatorjobs.com

Amazingly helpful as always PL... God bless you.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Good stuff. Wish I was closer to Maryland, that fiber job sounds like cake. I'm willing to move a little for a gig, but that's halfway across the country for me.

Years of Experience

Va. office has a good turn over rate. They do monitor the GPS to see if you are at each ticket and your location during the day, what time you leave the house and when you arrive home. Pay is sub par, Contract is near its end and up for bid if it hasn't already been done.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by montecarloss View Post
    Va. office has a good turn over rate. They do monitor the GPS to see if you are at each ticket and your location during the day, what time you leave the house and when you arrive home. Pay is sub par, Contract is near its end and up for bid if it hasn't already been done.
    The contract was extended and is for 5 years and it is the completion of the 2nd year, so at least three more years to go on the Verizon contract.

The gas contract in Virginia is by Virgina Beach and that just started a few months ago.

I started here as a locator and applied for a supervisor's position and got it a bit less than a year ago. Only look at the GPS when given cause like if the times of the locates are off, some irregularity in the time sheet. Also if the tech seems to have just disappeared like did not log out on the time sheet, completion of the tickets stops, etc. as they may be injured somewhere.

Industry wide turnover rates tend to be high, ours has slowed. The company formed two years ago so all techs were new hires within a few months of each other. Most techs came from other companies, some were completely new to the industry, trained a few. Many of the techs hired on from competitor's firms were of the class that had no intention of working, got rid of a several from the group I took over. A large number were lured back by their previous employer with the promise of bigger and better things. Most were upset becasue they felt a raise was due after less than a year, frankly I thought after 6 months we would be reviewed and maybe get a raise from start pay. Being a new firm things were chaotic at the time and just after that little exodus raises were given early before the years time. I got a two dollar an hour raise, did not ask for it, and others varied, I hear some got three dollars an hour. Almost all of them that left asked for their jobs back here when the promises were not met but there was a problem. Almost to a person they quit without notice and the company policy is if you quit without two weeks notice you will never be rehired.

Starting pay for noobies is as much or a little more that the going rate around here. Pay for experienced techs varies and there are some very experienced techs who will not get starting pay matching where they are now. Some we have hired on at higher rates than they currently got elsewhere. USIC has bought into the area and Utiliquest is also around here. Do to job dissatisfaction they are our principal source of experienced techs calling for job applications. I carry job applications in the truck, get asked for them a lot.

Years of Experience

Some more positions have opened up, even in Maryland, as we have increased out allotted amount of locators.

In Maryland some new areas are activating the FO system and we are going to need more people there.

There is a certifications class starting soon so now, today, is the time to make contact and apply. You can always so no if you find what is offered is not for you.

If you are shy just PM me.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by montecarloss View Post
    FYI gps is not that closely monitored, it is opened if there appears to be a need to.

There was during the time of your post a supervisor here who logged into the GPS all the time and watched every move. Used to track the movements of the techs in my group and asked me why there were where they were which was allways because I had sent them there. Called the locators all day long grilling them on what they were doing. That supervisor was moved back to being a locator.

No, that contract is still going, never went up for bid. In addition have started a new office in Ohio. Prior to that took on a gas contract in Virginia Beach.

We have openings now in Northern Virginia and it will be posted on Locatorjobs.com as soon as my manager remembers his password.

In the meantime West Virginia Trades Classifieds - Free West Virginia Trades Classified Ads

Years of Experience

Hmmm what part of MD and VA is it? I just started at a locating company about 2 months ago
    And me the wife and kids are looking to move and I would be willing to relocate, wife can get a
    Job any place with the job she does. Cause the pay for this state is not good.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MasterLocator View Post
    Hmmm what part of MD and VA is it? I just started at a locating company about 2 months ago
    And me the wife and kids are looking to move and I would be willing to relocate, wife can get a
    Job any place with the job she does. Cause the pay for this state is not good.
    The original post last year had jobs in Maryland and they were long ago filled. The recent post are for more hires in northern Virginia. Fairfax County. Runs from Alexandria by the West side of DC out to Dulles
    airport and south to Fort Belvoir.

Steve e-mailed the access information to my manager for locatorjobs.com and it should be up soon.
    Until then you can use the link West Virginia Trades Classifieds - Free West Virginia Trades Classified Ads

Years of Experience

Really? That would work for me, being I'm originally from from the Dulles area, I will
    Have to get in touch with them. Thanks for the info

Years of Experience

Anbody hearing how usic is doing with bge? EIther uq needs to shake up thier management or usic or sn needs to take thier work. our director thru vp are the worst. morale has gone to the dogs and doesn't look to be improving. our new quality program is called good luck. cause thats all it is, luck. looks like some of our locals are looking into unions. supposed to be something big brewing in the next 6 months. is premier only in deleware?

USIC is no better or no worse than Utiliquest. theyve had some growing pains. Utiliquest was really pretty good in 09 & 10 but things have taken a turn the last couple months, alot of mis marks or zero marks. At least thats my experience in MD. i have a crew in Del and Delmarva Power is probably the best around at getting paint down. I believe that is Premier Locating.
    locatorMD likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locateman2011 View Post
    Anbody hearing how usic is doing with bge? EIther uq needs to shake up thier management or usic or sn needs to take thier work. our director thru vp are the worst. morale has gone to the dogs and doesn't look to be improving. our new quality program is called good luck. cause thats all it is, luck. looks like some of our locals are looking into unions. supposed to be something big brewing in the next 6 months. is premier only in deleware?

As to how USIC is doing with BG&E there is always a rumor about any firm that they are doing badly. USIC is an Utiliquest clone, only not as good in my opinion, and Utiliquest lost the BG&E contract. Utiliquest did not lose the contract to being under bidden, I know of a firm that BG&E interviewed to replace Utiliquest about 18 months prior. They had decided they no longer wanted to have Utiliquest. Why they spent over a year looking and then picked a Utiliquest clone is beyond me. My only guess is that USIC being new to the industry BG&E did not have the inside info on them we get here. My personal estimate was that USIC would last 6 to 12 months with BG&E before a decision would be made to drop them.

USIC in Virginia has seriously crossed the State Corporation Commission. The SCC handed them some of the heaviest of fines not long ago. The Virginia SCC is very powerful and has the authority to kick a locate firm out of the state. They can in effect revoke a locate firm's license to do business in Virginia. The SCC, combined with other state agencies, is so difficult to deal with I know of one firm that just will not bid on contracts in Virginia.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by excavator View Post
    USIC is no better or no worse than Utiliquest. theyve had some growing pains. Utiliquest was really pretty good in 09 & 10 but things have taken a turn the last couple months, alot of mis marks or zero marks. At least thats my experience in MD. i have a crew in Del and Delmarva Power is probably the best around at getting paint down. I believe that is Premier Locating.
    Yes, Premier started marking DeMarva power, I believe last year. That is in Delaware and some parts of Eastern Maryland.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locateman2011 View Post
    S&N applied to BG&E and was permitted to bid on the contract. BG&E has both electric and gas to mark and at the time S&N had not marked any gas. Not having experience as a firm marking gas was a deal breaker in itself regardless of bid. Since then two gas contracts have been picked up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast