Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: S&N Locating giving notice

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default S&N Locating giving notice

I have spoken with some former coworkers at S&N and there is an ugly new turn.

Labor and pay standards require an employee be paid their unused time or PTO time when they quit. There is an exception that if the employer sets a standard for notice, say two weeks, they may keep the money if short or no notice is given.

Some now have given the two weeks notice and have been told they loose their money. That two weeks notice is 14 days and that means 14 work days or two weeks plus 4 days. My recollection of the written notice was two weeks, calendar days by default, not 14 working days. Besides we work mostly mandatory Saturdays and oncall is for 7 days straight.

In addition the company blacklists you for not giving full notice and you cannot be rehired ever again. Since Stare Center Locating uses the same HR
    Dept. I believe you are blacklisted at both firms.

So if you are thinking of quitting S&N contact HR Department and get emailed to you a copy of the current requirements.
    UULC and TheCableVine like this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: S&N Locating giving notice

2 weeks has always been 2 weeks. Not 14 working days. Just another cowardly attempt to screw people and pocket a little cash.
    daman1 and yahoo like this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Truely horrifying... These guys make all the money in the field and bust their hump to make it profitable to keep their jobs. And the result? They follow the procedure and give 2 weeks notice, and the company tries to steal from them in return.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    Truely horrifying... These guys make all the money in the field and bust their hump to make it profitable to keep their jobs. And the result? They follow the procedure and give 2 weeks notice, and the company tries to steal from them in return.
    I will try to keep up on this. So far this is being told to them by supervisors so it still has to get past HR and Payroll Depts. May simply be an effort to get a few more days work out of people due to a shortage of Locators. I know at least two, maybe a third, quit in the two weeks sense I left. Were offered more money to stay but too late, they just wanted to leave.

Years of Experience

I worked for stake center and quit without notice and I am black balled. But they don't honor giving two weeks notice when you start working for them. Told me if I give two weeks I lose a dollar per hour

Years of Experience

in the end , s and n will get the same thing done to them that they do ....get kicked out of whatever state they in ......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy121 View Post
    I worked for stake center and quit without notice and I am black balled. But they don't honor giving two weeks notice when you start working for them. Told me if I give two weeks I lose a dollar per hour
    Was this before or after S&N bought controlling interest in Stake Center?

Federal law allows them to not pay unused personal time if two weeks notice is not given, which is what they do.

Had not heard of pay cuts for giving notice. And yes two weeks notice is a 'private' street for them as they do not give two weeks notice for any type of termination including reduction in force. Treatment like that gets employees saying the U word.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

When I worked for USIC every one I know that gave a two week notice were always let go soon after giving notice. To be safe I guess use up your vacation and pto before giving notice

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    When I worked for USIC every one I know that gave a two week notice were always let go soon after giving notice. To be safe I guess use up your vacation and pto before giving notice
    Giving two weeks notice is not a two way street. For employers who treat employees as you have noted they do not deserve notice at all, vehicle parked out on street front of home, come get it before it is towed away.
    daman1, The Big-E and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Was this before or after S&N bought controlling interest in Stake Center?

Federal law allows them to not pay unused personal time if two weeks notice is not given, which is what they do.

Had not heard of pay cuts for giving notice. And yes two weeks notice is a 'private' street for them as they do not give two weeks notice for any type of termination including reduction in force. Treatment like that gets employees saying the U word.

They already merged. And what I was meaning was when I got the job offer for them we agreed ok a dollar amount. But I said I'll start after my two weeks notice from my current employer. The supervisor said for each week I'm not at stake center. I will lose a dollar per week that they are offering me to start.

Years of Experience

where did s and n go here in Louisiana ????? LOL ...hey you guys ...you still think you can do all the locates with just newbies ???? that's what I thought !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    where did s and n go here in Louisiana ????? LOL ...hey you guys ...you still think you can do all the locates with just newbies ???? that's what I thought !!!!
    That was where I was about to be sent. After 8 months working out of state and living in hotels I filed for early SS and quit. Only thing I am sorry about is I could not visit you down there. I was willing to wait until I was 66 to retire but crushing work load made taking 25% reduction in retirement preferable to being worked to death.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    That was where I was about to be sent. After 8 months working out of state and living in hotels I filed for early SS and quit. Only thing I am sorry about is I could not visit you down there. I was willing to wait until I was 66 to retire but crushing work load made taking 25% reduction in retirement preferable to being worked to death.
    Now you can go to walmart and be a greeter or just a job you like to do that brings in some $$. I got his winter and I started Ubering on weekends.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    Now you can go to walmart and be a greeter or just a job you like to do that brings in some $$. I got his winter and I started Ubering on weekends.
    I will be better able to get a job when I regain my speech ability. I can speak enough for simple things but nothing complex.

My original plan was to find good work and use the 12 month option return to the work. That is where you pay back the money SS sent you and it is as if you had not retired. That looks out of the picture now.

I have as restriction of a monthly income of $1,400 with no penalty or income tax. Anything above the limit and a 50% penalty is paid to SS.

Years of Experience

there's more locating for you to do before you retire ....heehee !!! hang in there buddy !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast