Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&N locating company

Default S&N locating company

Has anyone heard of a company called S&N locating company i heard a rumor they are taking the VZN CONTRACT FROM CONSOLIDATED ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: S&N locating company

Quote Originally Posted by stinky View Post
    Has anyone heard of a company called S&N locating company i heard a rumor they are taking the VZN CONTRACT FROM CONSOLIDATED ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS?
    S&N Locating is a company of S&N Communications. Verizon is a customer of S&N so the created a locating firm of their own.
    S&N has taken the Verizon contract at least in most of Virginia.

so is the same s&n that use to bury the fiber and copper for vzn and lost that contrct and now have become a locating company for VZN?

Years of Experience

so is the same s&n that use to bury the fiber and copper for vzn and lost that contrct and now have become a locating company for VZN?
    Technically I believe it is a subsidiary.

I think saying basically the same people covers it.

Years of Experience

never heard of them
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

As long as they don't move south and start picking up the Verizon contracts in NC, it will be aight.

Years of Experience

S&N is Allen Powell and Steve Roarke(sp). They have been in Virginia doing the FTTP and FIOS work for Verizon for a couple of years now (I think they are a Master Contractor for some of this project). Verizon has apparently decided to give (since no bids were solicited from other companies) S&N the locating contract in Virginia (from what we have heard it is the entire state during peak dig season). I believe S&N is going to phase the work in, starting with locating the Verizon plant that they are doing construction in/around and then moving on to the entire state by June 1. So far we have heard that they are subcontracting the work in the Beach and Peninsula area to another company (C3 Construction - Tim Vest). We can't really confirm anything as Verizon has yet to announce their intentions or their plan - I am relaying what I heard from both the field and from the regulatory people.

It is my understanding that S&N has never held a locate contract before taking on this one.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    S&N is Allen Powell and Steve Roarke(sp). They have been in Virginia doing the FTTP and FIOS work for Verizon for a couple of years now (I think they are a Master Contractor for some of this project). Verizon has apparently decided to give (since no bids were solicited from other companies) S&N the locating contract in Virginia (from what we have heard it is the entire state during peak dig season). I believe S&N is going to phase the work in, starting with locating the Verizon plant that they are doing construction in/around and then moving on to the entire state by June 1. So far we have heard that they are subcontracting the work in the Beach and Peninsula area to another company (C3 Construction - Tim Vest). We can't really confirm anything as Verizon has yet to announce their intentions or their plan - I am relaying what I heard from both the field and from the regulatory people.

It is my understanding that S&N has never held a locate contract before taking on this one.
    This matches what I have heard.

S&N has been installing cables for Verizon. S&N started a locate division to mark for Verizon in Virginia.

Could be intersting to see if this company can make it without having any locating experience time will tell.

Years of Experience

Could be intersting to see if this company can make it without having any locating experience time will tell.
    For an established locating firm opening an office in a new area and taking a contract is chaotic.

For a new firm to open at that level is a big undertaking.

For the locator taking a job there the risk is the firm will not make it, but that is a risk everywhere these days.

In the chaos and risk of an opening firm there is prospect of advancement. They are going to hire a lot of locators. Of the ones they hire there will be the slackers who have no intention of doing the job, just want to sit in the truck and write up tickets as if they had been done. These will have to be weeded out. There will be those that just donít have the ability and they will have to be weeded out. There will be the ones who have the ability and will do the work but their personal demon will have them using the truck after hours, using drugs and getting DWIs and they will have to be weeded out.

The locator who is good at their work and diligently performs their work will be much needed asset. They will also need to get new foremen and weed out the foremen the same as the locators. So for a locator wanting to make the change to foreman there is opportunity. The greatest hindrance for a locator moving to foreman is being too good at their job. For many firms promoting a top of the line locator is not an option. They value the locator too much in their current use. Many firms feel it better to make an average locator foreman rather than a first rate locator, easier to replace.

Years of Experience

Steve Roark posts on the Vine. If there are questions, why not just ask Hwyripper? He mentioned his companys plan to open a locating division and asked about equipment and such in an earlier post.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Yes this is true , but C3 is subing the locates from them.Contact #757-864-0360.

Wow already subing out locates im not sure that is a good sign

Years of Experience

Wow already subing out locates im not sure that is a good sign
    In a situation like this, a company in full start-up, locators who have a secure job are not inclined to make the move.

For locators looking for work it is a good deal, they need the locators.
    If a locator is looking to make the leap to foreman a start-up offer the best opportunity for advancement. The hard part for a good locator wanting to make foreman is that really good locators are hard to come by. Top of the line locators are often not made foreman becasue they cannot be replaced.

If you work well for the subcontractor and the main firm makes it then you are in position to either stay with the subcontractor or be hired by the main firm when they are ready to take that area.

The sub only locates their own VUPS tickets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast