Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rumor That Utiliquest Is Losing The BGE Contract in Maryland?

Default Re: Rumor That Utiliquest Is Losing The BGE Contract in Maryland?

Utiliquest and USIC have burn out more good locators than they will ever get back. I worked for Utiliquest for 12 years, they left me hanging. Loosing contracts is going to keep happening to both of them and the rest until they see what they are doing to the locators, who actually make or break these companies. The GPS in the trucks is one thing, but the Cameras are ridiculous, and an expense clients are being charged for. It is this type of "I'm watching you" behaivior that is bankrupting them as well as making them loose good quality locators. Before the cameras at Utiliquest i could "hurry" along and knock out about 4-6 tickets an hour, after the cameras and the sketching crap, i went down to about 3 per hour. I might add, in 12 years with them i never had a at-fault damage. I got my first damage when i went back, and cleared a ticket that had an ariel CATV & Telephone service, ariel power, no gas, and all mains where over head...what did i miss?....there was a second buried drop coming from a ped at the Highway about 300 ft behind the address i was at, stuck a power pole right through it..lol anyway, it's the BS that's killing them, not the pay the locators get (thought that has a huge bearing on it)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locateman2011 View Post
    Things are fgoing down fast, we are running behind, no support being told to hurry up and just clear out tickets. supervisors andmanagers are bitching that they dont get any support. amzingn one guy leavbing could have such a impact. new guy bfrom virgina is a puppet. now im hearing they are closiing one othe the offices down with bge bolting. usic will get alotr of us.
    Not sure where your working, but none of that's happening in my area or anywhere around it. everyone I talk to understands its busy because its summer time. my supervisor is cool and the managers used to be techs, so they understand what it's like to be out here. The supervisor's I've dealt with here would chew us hard if we blew tickets off like you describe. We haven't met the new guy from Va yet. Sounds like your just having some bad luck. I heard usic is hiring, less techs means more OT for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Flanders View Post
    Not sure where your working, but none of that's happening in my area or anywhere around it. everyone I talk to understands its busy because its summer time. my supervisor is cool and the managers used to be techs, so they understand what it's like to be out here. The supervisor's I've dealt with here would chew us hard if we blew tickets off like you describe. We haven't met the new guy from Va yet. Sounds like your just having some bad luck. I heard usic is hiring, less techs means more OT for me
    You remind me of the infamous Baghdad Bob - Saddam Hussein's Information Minister :"They're not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

What I hear now from Utiliquest is a giant toilet flushing noise.

I bet that by this time next year they will be out of DC Metro.

Warm regards, you loser !

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by clips68 View Post
    You remind me of the infamous Baghdad Bob - Saddam Hussein's Information Minister :"They're not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are trying to sell to the others an illusion."

What I hear now from Utiliquest is a giant toilet flushing noise.

I bet that by this time next year they will be out of DC Metro.

Warm regards, you loser !
    I have just been called a 'loser' by a conspiracy theorist that believes in White power. I have hit the jackpot!

Seen the first USIC trucks out on the road in MD already, when does their contract start?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by NASCARFAN1981 View Post
    Seen the first USIC trucks out on the road in MD already, when does their contract start?
    Rumor has it as the first week in Septemb4er. So right before or after the Labor Day weekend.

Nobody marks BG&E gas or electric until they complete the BG&E approved course. So they have to have some of their current techs taking class right now. Also any new hires they take on must be from Utiliquest with a current training record or successfully complete the course. They will have to take on new hires at least before the last week of August to have them certified to go to work.

If these new hires bother to give two weeks notice local firms can expect an exodus begin August 10th.

Unless there was a great lack of interest for working at USIC they will have already interviewed and hired their full complement. The new hires are just waiting for their start date.

If the new hires are angry with their current employers they will not give advance notice and simply not report to work one day leaving the locate firms scrambling around trying to go get all the trucks and equipment back. Seen it before. I recommend giving notice, the grass may not be green at all on the other side of the fence.

My firm has a group of techs all quit at about the same time, none gave notice. Within three months almost every one of them asked to come back. An absolute mandatory policy, quit without two week notice and never work for the firm again. I have also seen techs give two weeks notice, leave and then ask for their jobs back, one in my group now.

You may be displeased with your current employer but C Y A, give two weeks notice.

If your firm has a history of firing people who give two weeks notice disregard that last bit of advice. That is the standard they set.

September 7 is when USIC is required to start putting paint on the ground. I still seriously doubt they have enough guys to cover all the area they cover though. That is whey they started so late in the season so they would not get bombed with tickets. Also BGE tells contractors when and when not to work overtime which will have an affect on ticket load. Also all tech is maryland have been trained on BGE and WGL for the last two years reguardless of what office they went to so im sure the majority of the ones that jump ship will all ready be trained. USIC is using there own " all in one" plat system" so I guess they still have to be trained on that.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Berizon Line View Post
    September 7 is when USIC is required to start putting paint on the ground. I still seriously doubt they have enough guys to cover all the area they cover though. That is whey they started so late in the season so they would not get bombed with tickets. Also BGE tells contractors when and when not to work overtime which will have an affect on ticket load. Also all tech is maryland have been trained on BGE and WGL for the last two years reguardless of what office they went to so im sure the majority of the ones that jump ship will all ready be trained. USIC is using there own " all in one" plat system" so I guess they still have to be trained on that.
    The ones that leave Utiliquest yes, but you can expect they have recruited from other firms as well so these techs will need to meet BG&E qualification training.

Also when these changes occur it is common to start up taking over one area at a time. They may start marking in Baltimore city, then later marking in Harford County and so on over a period of months.

Years of Experience
    30+

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Rumor has it as the first week in Septemb4er. So right before or after the Labor Day weekend.

Nobody marks BG&E gas or electric until they complete the BG&E approved course. So they have to have some of their current techs taking class right now. Also any new hires they take on must be from Utiliquest with a current training record or successfully complete the course. They will have to take on new hires at least before the last week of August to have them certified to go to work.

If these new hires bother to give two weeks notice local firms can expect an exodus begin August 10th.

Unless there was a great lack of interest for working at USIC they will have already interviewed and hired their full complement. The new hires are just waiting for their start date.

If the new hires are angry with their current employers they will not give advance notice and simply not report to work one day leaving the locate firms scrambling around trying to go get all the trucks and equipment back. Seen it before. I recommend giving notice, the grass may not be green at all on the other side of the fence.

My firm has a group of techs all quit at about the same time, none gave notice. Within three months almost every one of them asked to come back. An absolute mandatory policy, quit without two week notice and never work for the firm again. I have also seen techs give two weeks notice, leave and then ask for their jobs back, one in my group now.

You may be displeased with your current employer but C Y A, give two weeks notice.

If your firm has a history of firing people who give two weeks notice disregard that last bit of advice. That is the standard they set.
    At USIC once you gave notice it was Policy to get their truck and equipment and they were gone. It all depends on your management.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    At USIC once you gave notice it was Policy to get their truck and equipment and they were gone. It all depends on your management.
    This is true, when I gave my notice I was called back a half hour later and told to meet my Supervisor at the office the next morning to turn over my equipment.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    This is true, when I gave my notice I was called back a half hour later and told to meet my Supervisor at the office the next morning to turn over my equipment.
    For those that do get fired upon giving their two week notice go file for unemployment. You get at least a week or two until your next jobs starts, they fired you for no cause on your part. This bugs the heck out of your former boss because in many states, perhaps all, one of the determinations in how much the employer pays into the unemployment fund depends on how much they use it.

This is a high stress job, so get two weeks off with pay. Take this as an opportunity to relax, travel and visit or get some around the house project done.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    For those that do get fired upon giving their two week notice go file for unemployment. You get at least a week or two until your next jobs starts, they fired you for no cause on your part. This bugs the heck out of your former boss because in many states, perhaps all, one of the determinations in how much the employer pays into the unemployment fund depends on how much they use it.

This is a high stress job, so get two weeks off with pay. Take this as an opportunity to relax, travel and visit or get some around the house project done.
    I just bumped up my start date with my new employer by a week and a half and had a four day weekend, It wasn't worth my time to try and collect what would have been a weeks worth of unemployment.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Wisconsin is now like Illinois where the first week is no pay for unemployment

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345