Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Premier Locating

Years of Experience

Default Re: Premier Locating

While it's good to hear that someone has had a good experience with Premier I can honestly say that here they've treated their locators worse than I've ever seen from USIC. They have a tendency toward drastic understaffing,making promises they never had any inclination toward keeping, Sending people out with two to three times mores tickets than they've ever demonstrated an ability to do, sending people home early in one area while another is on mandatory overtime. I could go on and on but I guess my point is they may claim they're better than USIC but at least here it's a total load of Shit. I've been with both companies and I'd take USIC any day because in my experience Premier dosen't make a long term investment in employees. They prefer to use them up,overwork them to the point they quit or damage out and replace them with someone else and repeat the cycle over and over.

"in my experience Premier dosen't make a long term investment in employees. They prefer to use them up,overwork them to the point they quit or damage out and replace them with someone else and repeat the cycle over and over. " = ohlocator

I am in 100% agreement with you on this. The ONLY tenured locators I ever ran into with Premier were ones that got hired in the first or second round of hirings when Premier was formed. Then they weren't even locators anymore really, managers, supervisors and trainers mostly. Good way to keep the pay scale down though. I guess it's cheaper to burn through employees rather than paying someone a decent salary who has been there for a while.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

To survive at Premier, you have to be "one of the family." If you're not, you will be subjected to damage policies that none of the managers or supervisors themselves would survive. It is nepotism at it's absolute finest.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Is it wrong that I like to see something I said in someones tag line?? LOL!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

I am sure we all have opinions, both good & bad. I can honestly say that Premier has treated me better than any other company i have worked for. i am sure we all have war stories from CLS and UQUEST, but Prmeir has treated me the best and i have been with them longer than i have been at any of the other ones. i don't want to come off as "Pro Premier" but you get back what you put in..

Years of Experience

I had a Premier guy come up to me at a locate and said he wanted to work at USIC. I said go for it but in the back of my mind I couldn't figure out why a guy would want to locate 4 utilities instead of 1.

We will all never be happy no matter where we work, or what industry we are in. We are human and are hardwired that way. There will always be something that we donít feel is right or done the right way. The good thing is we all have a job right now unlike allot of the country. I am happy for that. And yes, staying under the radar by doing what I am supposed to be doing has worked for me.

Years of Experience

Although I have never worked for Premier, I will say that we are working with them right now to transition a gas contract over to OneVision in MD/PA. They are keeping the transition agreement to the letter, they have bent over backward to try and make sure their current employees will stay employed and have every opportunity to move over to us, and are making sure that all work is getting the attention it needs.

On any given day all locate companies suck - including my own - but Premier is standing tall in this transition and to me that says a lot about the people there and the company as a whole.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Like I have said before though about Premier. Once you have made the shit list (for any reason) your effectively on borrowed time. Like them trying to pin a damage on a locator who was RIDING with an Auditor who TOLD that locator to stop at a certain point on a locate because 'Who would put a utility pole in an area that LOOKED like a paved driveway'. Guess what? The utility company we worked for would do that and DID, hitting a gas line in the process. Oh and that Auditor was 'Family' in the Premier higherarchy with him ON TAPE saying to cut the locate short.
    It takes a special kind of asshole to try to push a damage like that on someone. Good thing they are top heavy in that department.

id have to say yes they use up there good employees and then let them go after time when its time to cut funds . and yes the auditor did tell u to cut that markout down and you still got hit with that damage. but hey silly billy cant don no wrong !!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Like them trying to pin a damage on a locator who was RIDING with an Auditor who TOLD that locator to stop at a certain point on a locate because 'Who would put a utility pole in an area that LOOKED like a paved driveway'.
    I actually heard about this from one of the supervisors early last year. He was telling me a story about something else related to a damage that a different locator had. I forgot who he was talking about exactly, but he said whoever had the damage mentioned that "I'll never forget what you guys did to Don."

I wish I could remember more, but I learned to completely ignore whatever management had to say as time dragged on. Sorry bro.

Oh and I also heard that your trademark was marking things by measurements only. That is also a technique that I ended up using alot of the time. Fooking NiMo gas just doesn't tone, dude.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???

I absolutely HATED having to mark National GREED by measurements.................they were ALWAYS WRONG. Their people said with religious zelacy though that 'Our measurements are ALWAYS right'.................yeah, bullshit to that, clowns.

I have ALWAYS been a locator who, if I absolutely KNEW that I screwed up, I would be the first one to TELL THEM that I did. If I did my job RIGHT and something happened I also DEFENDED myself just as hard and pushed it until I pissed people off. NEVER lied about anything to cover it up.

That damage I was talking about above was just one of a handfull they tried to pin on me. The day I had to talk with Ed H Jr. was surreal at best, he was giving me a 'Locator of the Moment' award, shaking my hand then yelling at me about it. I was yelling right back. I will NEVER forget him saying 'Everytime I have to get in a pissing match with you'..............goddamn right, when I know I didn't do ANYTHING wrong.

Years of Experience
    30+

AUL, When I worked for USIC I was the same way. If I was off I would be the first to say so. But 99% of the time I was dead nuts on I would fight it tooth and nail. When I was a supervisor I would fight for my DPS's until the higher ups would tell me to be quiet. I have even taken a damage in my name so the DPS would not be charged with it. That was only if he did everything correct.

You know, these are just some of MY war stories from Premier. My observations and experiences are just that. Mine.

I know they burned more than their fair share of good people while those who were suck asses were promoted or at least sideways transfered if their damage ratio became too high. This was a few years ago now, for me. I can't sit here and honestly say things are still the same but I have ALWAYS found that if a company finds a system that 'works' for them, they USUALLY keep it.

All I can say for sure is that IF, and I mean IF, I were to ever get back into locating and they were the only company left on the east coast................I would move so I wouldn't have to work for them ever again.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Years of Experience

I've been told that Ed H. was banned from central NY mainly due to being an asshole of heroic proportions, but also because of some sexual comments he made about one of the female supervisors that worked for one of the clients.

I also heard that there was a member of a municipal town crew who made some hilariously funny comments about Ed H., speaking to a nearby premier locator, who just happened to have his video camera recording a markout. Ed H. saw the tape somehow and then forced the locator, who merely chuckled at the comments but didn't make them, to take 2 weeks unpaid suspension.

Don I am right there with you in agreement. Premier is a godless outfit of epic proportions and every single member of management wouldn't survive thier own damage policies in any given time of year.

Oh, and about national GREED. It's bad enough thier measurements are always wrong, but it's really fun when they don't even exist in the first place. Not to mention how much sabatoged tracer wire there is out there on the plastic gas plant due to the older national grid generation workforce still bitter about losing thier own locating work. The only worse gas to locate would be national fuel out in pennsylvania, because the tracer wire never existed in the first place. Good times.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12