Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Premier Locating

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Premier Locating

    Hey guys, I've been watching this forum for quite some time without posting. I figured I start to post up.

    I'm working for Premier now. I was with USIC and I have to say that it has been the BEST move I have ever made in the locating business. We are treated well, and management will listen to our opinions.

    I must say, if there are any good locators left with USIC (I know of only a few). It is time to make the move. After how USIC treated me and my family, I want to run them out of this state.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    454
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    First off, welcome to the forum. This is indeed a great place to put your two cents in if you locate for a living. And to answer your question, yes there are a few good locators left with USIC, I know several and talk to them on a weekly basis here in the Midwest. Although another one I know just left. He said he was tired of fighting with his supervisor all the time, he said it was the most hostile work environment he had ever seen in 40+ years in the utility industry. I've known this fellow for a very long time. He is honest to a fault, and not one to complain much about anything. That all changed when the PEF first took over, and became worse as time went on. I have several friends still working there, but who knows for how much longer. Glad to hear you have found a place where you can thrive. Best of luck to you and yours, and post often!

  3. #3
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,909
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    welcome Grease to the site and post often! ask questions and get answers!!! On this site we'll also treat you better than USIC..ha!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  4. #4
    Senior Member locator00566's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Better Place
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Welcome. I hope someone who has any say with USIC is reading these post about how all the techs are fed up with there BS. You know its bad when its a company wide problem, across the US. I've worked for 4 locating companies over 10 years and USIC is the worst. They care nothing for their employees. They lie, cheat and steal their way to getting what they want. Unfortunetly, I have no other locating option nearby, therefore I am trapped in locating hell. My DM is an empty suit, my sup is useless. I hope USIC falls fast, because I do not see how a company who treats their employees so bad can stay in business for long.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Thanks guys. I'm hell bent on pushing USIC out of my state. I know that my Operations manager is right there with me. It is no longer a company goal, but a personal one as well. I know that USIC is suffering in my area, there are locators that the utility company is telling USIC that they no longer want them in the area locating their facilities. And the damages are getting worse everyday. It is just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed under their watch. I'm hoping that we can take the contracts before that point comes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,309
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMunky View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm hell bent on pushing USIC out of my state. I know that my Operations manager is right there with me. It is no longer a company goal, but a personal one as well. I know that USIC is suffering in my area, there are locators that the utility company is telling USIC that they no longer want them in the area locating their facilities. And the damages are getting worse everyday. It is just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed under their watch. I'm hoping that we can take the contracts before that point comes.
    I know of one locator, not USIC, that got banned from a construction site, housing development under construction, becasue they were mis-marking or putting no paint down. The company had to send another locator just to run those tickets. That locator did not get into any trouble with their company, they were on the favorites list of the office general manager. That office also had two drug dealers that had free run with the company trucks so they sold drugs out of them during working hours and used them after hours. Word was they supplied drugs to the general manager who paid them with company wages including paying for the ot they never worked. I confirmed the ot with their foreman who was powerless to do anything about it. That foreman took off the ot from one of their time sheets when they did 6 tickets and charged 15 hours. He was told to put the time back by the GM. I cannot confirm the drugs to the GM but something was going on there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member AULupstate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    969
    Rep Power
    48

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Welcome to it GreaseMunky. You seem 'new' to Premier so in time you'll figure out the whole story.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Premier is my 7th locating Co, I agree with Grease. Years ago I was a Working Leader and 1 of my crew called for help. I went to help him on a sewar project in an all steel Gas line intersection. I hooked his equip. up, no tone. Checked his equip, no tone. I said how in the hell do you find anything with this equipment. His reponse " WE THE WILLING, LED BY THE UNKNOWING, ARE DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE, FOR THE UNGRATEFUl. WE HAVE SO MUCH, FOR SO LONG WITH SO LITTLE, THAT WE ARE NOW QUALIFIED TO DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING............ I took the the saying and printed it because it is true of the last 6 Co.s I have worked for. I called it the Locators Creed. Premeir is far from being like the last 6 Co.s
    Nb22x likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMunky View Post
    Hey guys, I've been watching this forum for quite some time without posting. I figured I start to post up.

    I'm working for Premier now. I was with USIC and I have to say that it has been the BEST move I have ever made in the locating business. We are treated well, and management will listen to our opinions.

    I must say, if there are any good locators left with USIC (I know of only a few). It is time to make the move. After how USIC treated me and my family, I want to run them out of this state.
    Hey man, did you get your chopper 100% yet?, or is it still a work in progress?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    It's done. You coming over to premier yet?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMunky View Post
    It's done. You coming over to premier yet?
    Actually, I'm toying with the idea of just throwing in the towel on this business altogether and going back to construction. I can work 3 days a week and make as much or more money than a week of locating.

  12. #12
    Member PokerAdam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Capitol Region, NY
    Posts
    94
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    I agree with AUL. They start of all good and well, but over time...just like the rest.

  13. #13
    Member Locator in NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    98
    Years of Experience
    21
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    After a few years and companies i look at it this way. As long as i do what is expected of me (Provide Quality work and make sure i have the Best Intrests of the Company and Me in mind) they (Management Minions) will leave me alone.
    If i stay off the Radar they will worry about the guy screwing around and they will not have to worry about me.

    That is the goal... We deal with enough sh!t during the course of the day that i do not want to give my Manager ammunition to bust my balls over by not doing the right thing.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,309
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Quote Originally Posted by Locator in NY View Post
    After a few years and companies i look at it this way. As long as i do what is expected of me (Provide Quality work and make sure i have the Best Intrests of the Company and Me in mind) they (Management Minions) will leave me alone.
    If i stay off the Radar they will worry about the guy screwing around and they will not have to worry about me.

    That is the goal... We deal with enough sh!t during the course of the day that i do not want to give my Manager ammunition to bust my balls over by not doing the right thing.
    With many companies you got it right. As we have read here there are some firms, and many managers, who believe it is their primary business to try and find things wrong, not find out what you are doing right. They are not based on performance, they are based of procedure.

    I know of a locator who was damage free for years and among the highest productivity and workload in his area. His lower ranked managers ranked him 100% on all of his performance requirements. Then he did not get his full raise becasue the area manager said that nobody was perfect, he had to be doing something wrong and just not been caught at it. And that manager reduced his performance rating arbitrarily.

    Do your work, stay off the radar. Make no complaints and make no suggestions. Do not come into the office or call the foreman or anyone else unless absolutely necessary keeps you out of sight and out of mind. The shame of it is there are some firms you have to work that way to survive.
    Nb22x likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Office Screen Country
    Posts
    196
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Premier Locating

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Do your work, stay off the radar. Make no complaints and make no suggestions. Do not come into the office or call the foreman or anyone else unless absolutely necessary keeps you out of sight and out of mind. The shame of it is there are some firms you have to work that way to survive.
    Staying off the radar is the ultimate backstage pass. It's the new priesthood!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •