Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: PiEcE rAtE?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    0

    Default PiEcE rAtE?

    What does it pay? Is it worth it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    What does it pay? Is it worth it?
    A lot of variables.

    True piece rate is X amount for each ticket without regard for hourly wage. This is often reserved for non-employee locators who work under as an independent contractor, essentially they are a firm in themselves. This also makes the individual locator liable for damages so is not practical.
    The problem of putting an employee on piece rate is that minimum wage laws still are in effect. Plus if the locator finishes work they cannot be held waiting in the work area to cover emergencies should one occur.

    The most common form of piece work is called 'pay for performance' or PFP which is actually in place in most contract locate firms. While in place they call it anything but pay for performance becasue firms that abused the method got a bad name with the clients. Never the less it is still in place just a rose by another name.

    This PFP is your number of tickets performed , usually multiplied by the number of utilities, divided by hours worked to get them done for a given period. This is modified by subtractions for damages. There are other modifications such as absenteeism or other things but that is the basic. Your pay rate for the current period is set by your performance the previous period.

  3. #3
    Mke
    Mke is offline
    Senior Member Mke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Republic of Washington
    Posts
    1,538
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    34
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    uhhh, no

    never. some people can make it work for them in certain cases, but its a rarity. Some private locate companies will work piece rate, and this may work out a bit better, because they bill differently then public one calls.

    mke

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    26
    Years of Experience
    13
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    What does it pay? Is it worth it?
    I think it can be worth it in some situations. with my company the pay depends on the customer. we have a guy who locates on piece rate for the higher paying customers and it works very well for him. but on the other hand the guy who works in the area right next door, for different customers has a harder time making it work.

    It also helps if you have a supervisor who knows how piece rate works.

  5. #5
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    I'm on piece rate and I wouldn't have it any other way. I get a larger percentage of the locate than the company who actually has the contract. I think I get 60% of the locate price. This is nice. I don't know what the norm is in the industry when it comes to piece work. I'd be interested to know.

    I also got very lucky with who I work for. He is very generous and doesn't want to know what I'm doing all the time. I've gotten maybe 2 calls from him this week.

    No complaints here.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    I know what piece rate is but what the type of pay? I do 1 utility and the tix are screened by the utility and i barley get tix cuz they are screened real tight, and they want me to go on piece rate. I totally wouldnt mind it but the fact that the tix are screened and real tight i would get 6 tix aday maxa and even if i got 7 per ticket, id make$ 42 a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wtf?????????????

  7. #7
    Senior Member sprayandpray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    I know what piece rate is but what the type of pay? I do 1 utility and the tix are screened by the utility and i barley get tix cuz they are screened real tight, and they want me to go on piece rate. I totally wouldnt mind it but the fact that the tix are screened and real tight i would get 6 tix aday maxa and even if i got 7 per ticket, id make$ 42 a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wtf?????????????
    I wouldn't even consider doing piece work for someone who screens out the easy tickets. You need some 'gravy ' to off-set the projects, or long tickets. On the other hand, I would jump at the 60% share the'Vine is getting. Let me see - 3-way area, average ticket is $32 x 60%=$19.20 per ticket x 2.5 tickets done(average) per hr =$48 per hr. Yeah, I could definitely do piece work at that rate!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !


    It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !


    The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    I know what piece rate is but what the type of pay? I do 1 utility and the tix are screened by the utility and i barley get tix cuz they are screened real tight, and they want me to go on piece rate. I totally wouldnt mind it but the fact that the tix are screened and real tight i would get 6 tix aday maxa and even if i got 7 per ticket, id make$ 42 a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wtf?????????????
    Well $42 a day is $5.25 an hour and minimum wage is $7.25 !

    You say the "want" you to go onto piece work. If they are asking tell them no. If they are ordering seek legal advice from an attorney, you can bet they are using one. But first you have to get some documentation, their offer in writing. My bet is this, they have done all this verbally, is that right?

  9. #9
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Well $42 a day is $5.25 an hour and minimum wage is $7.25 !

    You say the "want" you to go onto piece work. If they are asking tell them no. If they are ordering seek legal advice from an attorney, you can bet they are using one. But first you have to get some documentation, their offer in writing. My bet is this, they have done all this verbally, is that right?
    Sorry,
    I forget to include that by law they still must pay you minimum wage. By your description they are offering you minimum wage to be a qualified locator.

    They also must pay you overtime which is the gross amount you earned with the piece work divided by hours time 1 1/2. This pay is only for hours above 40 worked in the week. If my formula is off it still adds up to a massive pay cut.

    It used to be that when a pay cut is given the employee had the option to decline the pay cut and is effectively fired and could collect unemployment. Sounds like unemployment would pay you better than they are offering. As I recall if you worked one day at the new lower rate then you had 'accepted' the pay cut and not qualified for unemployment. Seek legal advise and be prepared.

  10. #10
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,912
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    work OT !!! scrap that other plan!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  11. #11
    Senior Member Wingfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    4,449
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    190

    Arrow Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    Piece work would suck on telephone locates. Way too much in the ground, prints can be difficult 'n timely to read and multiple hook ups required on every ticket to get it marked accurately. Every ticket needs a response because telephone always in conflict, no matter the depth of excavation; tickets for lawn aeration to tickets to install new sanitary sewer. Piece work on telephone would encourage shitty work and damages would definitely follow.

    Cable tv kinda, sorta sucks for piece work but not as bad as telephone - every ticket needs a response but usually one hook-up will get it run.

    Gas would be okay for piece work - 75% of the tickets generated would not need a response. If it don't run, you use measurements. Quick tickets to get marked.

    Electricity would be a great utility for piece work - Again, 75% of the tickets generated would not need a response do to depth of excavation. If paint is needed, one hook-up usually gets it located. A lot of times a power mode gets it located accurately. Again, quick tickets to get marked.

    Sewer and water locates would be the sweetest money maker for doing piece work. 95+% of all tickets generated need no response. The tickets that need paint are, as a rule, front yard locates away from backyard animals and their droppings........... Plus, water isn't that hard to run. You just gotta understand induction, know when power mode can be trusted and be a good witcher. Sewer is pop a lid and look for direction of laterals. Projects will be production killers, but the tickets not needing a response more than makes up for time lost doing projects.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  12. #12
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Piece work would suck on telephone locates. Way too much in the ground, prints can be difficult 'n timely to read and multiple hook ups required on every ticket to get it marked accurately. Every ticket needs a response because telephone always in conflict, no matter the depth of excavation; tickets for lawn aeration to tickets to install new sanitary sewer. Piece work on telephone would encourage shitty work and damages would definitely follow.

    Cable tv kinda, sorta sucks for piece work but not as bad as telephone - every ticket needs a response but usually one hook-up will get it run.

    Gas would be okay for piece work - 75% of the tickets generated would not need a response. If it don't run, you use measurements. Quick tickets to get marked.

    Electricity would be a great utility for piece work - Again, 75% of the tickets generated would not need a response do to depth of excavation. If paint is needed, one hook-up usually gets it located. A lot of times a power mode gets it located accurately. Again, quick tickets to get marked.

    Sewer and water locates would be the sweetest money maker for doing piece work. 95+% of all tickets generated need no response. The tickets that need paint are, as a rule, front yard locates away from backyard animals and their droppings........... Plus, water isn't that hard to run. You just gotta understand induction, know when power mode can be trusted and be a good witcher. Sewer is pop a lid and look for direction of laterals. Projects will be production killers, but the tickets not needing a response more than makes up for time lost doing projects.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry many, you have spoken a subject I have preached on many times before. Today it’s your turn in the barrel as you brought up one of the subjects I pound into the head of any noobie I have ever mentored.

    You wrote that on electric 75% of the tickets did not need to be marked because of the depth of the dig. Ouch!

    I am going to put this into perspective. How many times have you stood side by side with an excavator looking into a dig with ripped apart utilities? The utilities were correctly marked and the excavator said to you “I thought it was deeper”. Regard the electric you have not been marking you just said ‘I thought it was deeper’. Ouch!

    Most call before you dig laws require utilities to be marked, period.
    I know of no jurisdiction that allows a utility not to be marked because those marking think it would be too deep to be hit.

    Did you employer tell you not to mark such lines?
    If they told you verbally then you have to ignore that order. You have to ignore it because if a damage occurs they are not going to step up and say it is their fault, not yours. You can only consider not marking it if they have given you the order in writing so they cannot claim they told you not to make the marks.

    The big issue here is not just getting fired or a lowered pay rate because of damages. If a utility like electric, and gas, is cut there is an immediate danger to life and limb. If the damage resulted in a death(s) there is legal liability.

    Now for a locator they are thinking go ahead and sue me for a million dollars,
    I don’t have it.
    I live in a rented room and drive an old car, I have nothing worth taking so they will just sue my employer. This is not the legal liability I was referring too.

    Under the legal term Depraved Indifference a person can be charged with homicide / murder if they intentionally failed in their duty to provide for the safety for those in their care. As locators the health and lives of the people who dig on our marks is dependant on use doing our jobs. By doing our jobs I do not mean making an error but just performing our work to our best ability. By not marking electric, or gas, we know we are subjecting anyone who digs on that ticket to a potentially fatal injury. So we are looking at criminal charges which depending on jurisdiction could be termed second degree murder or manslaughter. Depraved Indifference allows a higher charge to be placed upon a person that if the victim was under their care.

    I stress, never mark anything because you think it is too deep to be hit. It will take more time to do the job but beats doing time in prison. End of self righteous rant.

  13. #13
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,912
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    who pissed off PRoLo again??????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    821
    Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    i hope no noobies read that guys thread. i had to deal with guys like that getting all that production out with taking all those short cuts and not marking things because they will be deep enough or not even going to the site and bill it out. They were usually home when i got caled at 1630 for no show or incomplete marks. They bill out the stuff but do not mark it. Since a subcontractor of these utilities we are frauding them if we bill them and not mark them. We have to do a posiitive reponse to everything. power mood electric. hooking up to a transformer and run every primary, secondary and service to the house needed, that is just not the proper way.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,316
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: PiEcE rAtE?

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    who pissed off PRoLo again??????
    Pissed off? Dude, I am in a happy mood!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •