Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overworked and underpaid.......

Years of Experience
    too many

Angry overworked and underpaid.......

so Usic has had the verizon contract for 3 weeks now...what a (chose your word) it is
    We have been told it is a MANDATORY 10 hour day and 8 hours two Saturdays of the month with a optional 3 .....
    YEA RIGHT.......
    Im one of the guys who picked up verizon and the projects that go with it as well as a bigger area due to personnel shift. now I can expect at least a 11-12 hour day, a bunch of past due tickets, pissed off contractors and a endless work week
    some got a raise but it is peanuts......
    One ticket at a time.....Right away when I get emergencies, no responses. digups etc....
    Wonder if Consolodated is hiring??????
    PISSED IN EAST TEXAS!!!!

Default Re: overworked and underpaid.......

At least some people got raises, a lot didn't - just a 1% bonus based on a 40 hr work week. This is a blatant way to get around the overtime laws and I predict it will bite them in the Butt.

BTW, Heath is definitely hiring.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

that is illegal (mandatory OT) are you guys understaffed in that area to not be able to keep up with adding a contract? sounds like you guys are dealing with some major bs over there... hope things get better for you
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I still talk to some of the guys from the crew I was on, and I feel sorry for them, they were at least three guys understaffed when I quit, and have only gotten two rookies and a rehire back, they only have five guys for their on call schedule, and all of them are covering three times the area they would have normally covered. On top of that they got saddled with a former DM as a supervisor, and all he does is audit tickets and do damage investigations, he will not help out in the field.

I'm glad I left when I did.

I see USIC hasen't changed a bit. Wonder when they will sell the company??

Years of Experience

Sups usually take all the clear tickets....

Years of Experience
    too many

Ive really go to tip My hat to my Sup He just got the position not long ago and beside the Sup bs he has to deal with, He is the first to go and do a locate.
    He really has earned my respect in the short time I have known him and I help him out anyway I can.
    He is one of the few that I have seen that will get there hands dirty.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Some cry Crocodile tears because they can't work overtime and make money, and others cry tears because they have to work overtime and make money...............
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    At least some people got raises, a lot didn't - just a 1% bonus based on a 40 hr work week. This is a blatant way to get around the overtime laws and I predict it will bite them in the Butt.
    Same here. I got a 3% bonus based on a 40 hour work week. I didn't even get the whole amount paid out - I got half now and I'll get the other half in October (so long as I'm still here). I was told that all the guys that make more than $18/hour would be receiving their "raises" this way this year. What gets me is that every year I've been here I've always been told that 3% was the max raise, yet every year word gets around that some techs got much, much more than the max. One tech last year got an 11% raise, and that same tech got a 7% raise this year. It's like these people think we don't talk amongst ourselves.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

The only thing that changes with these companies year after year is this: They expect more from you, and you are getting less from them. They can't control most variables of running a contract locating business very well, with one exception. Labor costs. You guys are getting hosed, plain and simple. It sucks, and I sympathize, but you guys can do something about it. It's just going to be extremely hard. Good Luck fellas...

Years of Experience

change your situation to underworked and overpaid!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Fios, sorry but you are wrong. Mandatory overtime is not illegal and in fact, refusal to work scheduled or mandatory overtime can be grounds for termination with cause. Here is the "plain Language" information straight from Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/013.htm

Federal overtime law under the FLSA does not prohibit employers from forcing employees to work mandatory overtime. In fact, the FLSA doesn't at all restrict the total number of work hours that employers may schedule for employees who are age 16 or older. The FLSA restricts work hours only for employees who are younger than age 16.

In other words, there are no protections under the FLSA for workers 16 and older who refuse to work mandatory overtime. As a result, workers 16 and older who refuse to work it are "legally" subject to employer discipline, up to and including discharge.

Just say no. They can't fire you, they need you to badly. We had 2 vets and a new quit then one get seriously sick, so one of they other vets said we were under staffed and wasn't going to work all this overtime and walked out no notice. 1 week later he's back like nothing ever happend. He got whatever he wanted.

I sure as crap am not working any weekends unless I feel like it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Isotopes View Post
    Just say no. They can't fire you, they need you to badly. We had 2 vets and a new quit then one get seriously sick, so one of they other vets said we were under staffed and wasn't going to work all this overtime and walked out no notice. 1 week later he's back like nothing ever happend. He got whatever he wanted.

I sure as crap am not working any weekends unless I feel like it.
    Wasn't working weekends and overtime a condition of hiring you?
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

sorry man, it sounds the same as here in Oklahoma, however i can only imagine how bad it would be if we picked up an extra contract and not enough help to come with it. take care, and good luck.
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast