Thread: One Call Locators Canada Edmonton

Default One Call Locators Canada Edmonton

Has anybody here ever work for 1CallLocators in Edmonton? I had an interview with them today and they seem to have a pretty good setup..theyre unionized, have new equipment and new trucks but..how are they to work for? The supervisor said they looking for a few experienced techs and Im a lil worried that they might be too good to be true!

Default Re: One Call Locators Canada Edmonton

Sorry buddy, I don't know too much about your side of the great white north or the companies in Alberta.

So I just got a callback from 1Call, I got the job! I have 2 1/2 years experience locating and because these guys are unionized..Im making $19.50 an hour. The only kick in the ass is that I have to go through thier ENTIRE training program..the supervisor said its gonna be like 3 weeks of classroom and at least 2 weeks of ride alongs till they let me do tickets on thier own. I like that all thier vehicles are all wheel drive SUV's..in Alberta its really nice with all the snow we get up here. Im kind of leary of the equipment though, never used the 3M , Im a RD user but she said they locate marker balls and the RD isnt as good as the 3M. Anybody got any experience using the 3M?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I've used the older 3M toilet seat locator, which wasn't horrible as long as the targets were installed correctly. You probably will be using the newer Dynatel locators. I would assume that it would work pretty good, Markers are definitively different to locate then a linear utility. Good luck, with a couple years under your belt, you shouldn't have any issues with the transition.

(I have ignored the standard joke about the Canadian Exchange rate....)

MKe

Dynatel Locators are pretty good equipment. They function nice. I just HATE the audible tone they throw out. For that reason ALONE I won't work with one. Nothing worse than that sound grating your eardrums ALL day long.

Years of Experience

I demo'd a Dynatel and thought it was OK. Didn't buy it though.

The exchange rate humor doesn't apply. The $$ is pretty much par. He's making about $18.75usd or so to start with only 2.5 years experience. Good for you Ace!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yeah, figured as much. Thats why I skipped the joke. 18.5 with 2yrs under his belt, thats not bad at all.

Mke

Years of Experience

i use a dynatel 2273 and came fro the 400 rd pretty similar but the noise is grating i put tape over the speaker helps quite a bit plus keeps the water out.

Years of Experience

anything to good to be true....is just that!!! be careful and good luck with your new job Ace!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Locating in Canada.

In summer flies that bite like they have tungsten jaws.

The winter snows of Canada. Can you paint and not get any on your snow shoes?

Hey, why you not out painting today? eh?

It's 20 below!

Yah, better get to painting before Winter gets here.

Years of Experience

PL...not too far off!

I do use snow shoes often in the winter. But, we don't use paint in those conditions for 2 reasons. 1. paint freezes and won't come out of the can. 2. If it snows overnight, your painted marks are covered up. We uses 4' sharpened survey lath with flagging, or in areas where the snow isnt too deep, pin flags.

The further north you get, you get short days in the winter and long days in the summer. So, the temparature variances we work in are crazy. In the winter -40 isn't uncommon and in the summer 90 isn't uncommon. I've had crazy temp changes in a single day from -20F to 55F. Tough to work in.

You guys working in 100+ weather is crazy. You can regulate -40 by shedding layers or venting, but what the hell can you do at 100?

In the summer, where I am, it gets dark at midnight and is light agin by 3am. In the winter, it gets light at 9 or 10am and is dark again by 4pm. Winter will come soon enough.....