Thread: Not a good sign

Years of Experience

Default Not a good sign

I have recently (since switching companies in the last 25 days) been talking to some of my old companions at USIC. I know most of them wanted out before, but out of the 5 whom I have talked to, 1 will be out in a month, 2 others ina year, 1 thinks he may just go on unemployment, and 1 who is considering taking a job for half the money.
    I was also told that certain others, some with more or the same amount of experience as me are actively searching, and doubling their efforts on finding other employment. I know a few of the situations which are causing this, including favoritism, overworking employees, and micromanagement. The newest is auditing DRIVE time between tickets, with a 2 minute window.
    it's one thing to expect results/ production numbers out of your employees, but come on USIC, take care of the employees that are making you money.
    So glad I am out of the mouth of that dragon!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not a good sign

I seems to me that the management that is doing these things, like auditing drive times, are approaching the locate business like you would a manufacturing process. Making every attempt to cut down on waste. In this case the waste is unnecessary drive time. You can do that I suppose but their are so many variables that come into drive times. Traffic, road construction, detours, new subdivisions that are difficult to navigate, slow drivers, missed turns etc.... If they want to waste their time trying to herd cats, go for it. All they can do is suggest ways to cut down on drive times and trust the locators to do it.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Agreed, I will never understand their need to attempt to rush something that requires a huge amount of concentration, both locating and driving. If they can GPS trucks and track them, why not set up a system on the transmitter and reciever that can GPS lines to laptops, laptops to server, server to prints.
    It would be more beneficial than GPS in a truck.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I seems to me that the management that is doing these things, like auditing drive times, are approaching the locate business like you would a manufacturing process. Making every attempt to cut down on waste. In this case the waste is unnecessary drive time. You can do that I suppose but their are so many variables that come into drive times. Traffic, road construction, detours, new subdivisions that are difficult to navigate, slow drivers, missed turns etc.... If they want to waste their time trying to herd cats, go for it. All they can do is suggest ways to cut down on drive times and trust the locators to do it.
    This is exactly what happens when the management of a locate firm is dominated by people with no locate experience. No matter what you tell them they will not consider the locator as skilled labor. The locator is given the status of a laborer that can be replaced by some hire with no locate experience.

I have heard rumblings of trouble with the Danella locating for the Verizon contract in eastern Maryland. Verizon has been experimenting with 'single source' contractors, one contractor proving construction and locating. Danella is a construction company and had to create a locating division to get the contract.
    I suspect that these two firms / divisions are both dominated by the management that only had construction experience. They may have hired a manager to operate the locate division but he / she would probably be only a subordinate to the high up management that has no locate experience. In short in such a situation the construction managers would ignore the input of the experienced locate manager they hired due to his / her job experience with locating. This is a formula for failure, any such operation must separate the functions and management of two such radically different businesses. With a contract like that if the locate division does not perform well enough they get kicked of the locating contract which takes the construction contract with it. A financial disaster.

Anybody here who has been locating for Danella that can comment? (Best not to post in any way that let's your boss know who you are
    )