Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: News about the Merger

Years of Experience
    retired

Default Re: News about the Merger

Okay, well - here's what I know:

1. You sound really angry at me. STOP SHOUTING- TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF! We're just talking here. I said ahead of time I was getting on the soapbox, but not to get tomatoes thrown at me.

2. Your supervisor IS a jackass, coming down on you like that. Been there, done that. Try to rid yourself of him.

3. Nothing wrong with telling it like it is. If you are in the deep end of the pool, I guess I'm standing on the steps in the shallow end. I am sorry you are so frustrated with your job.

4. Do you have a manhole hook? A pump? A blower? If you have to go crawling to your supervisor to get into a manhole every time you have a locate there, you made it sound like you weren't provided with these things. Like PowerSweep said, send the request via email to your supervisor. If he doesn't respond and help you, then it is documented. Build a case that you're not getting support, then go to your DM. See #2 above.

4b. Let me clarify something: by saying to verify your locate, I was not agreeing with your sup who said to "find another way." I primarily meant verifying the non-manhole locates, the above-ground stuff. What your supervisor is doing to you is control-freak type krap. I am definitely on YOUR side here.

5. There's no doubt you care about your job and have a family to support. I do, too. Point is: I have had the SAME TYPE of SH*T happen to me not so long ago. I WON'T go into details, some others on this board know EXACTLY what happened to ME. I wish you EVERY OUNCE of extra luck I can spare getting yourself out of this harsh situation. I'm not here to contradict you or anyone else on this board if you have a problem. Fact is, other people are offering you input on how to solve your issues. Do what you will with that advice. If you are certainly stuck and what anyone else says doesn't help, keep looking around and gathering other advice. Nobody likes to see other people getting screwed (unless they deserve it!) I wasn't trying to be flip about our job.

6. Lastly, as far as money goes, one problem at a time. I've got issues with being underpaid as well. And the reason I came back to locating was just what you said, I have all this knowledge I'd be throwing away elsewise.
    Last edited by wet_boots101; July 30th, 2008 at 09:56 AM.

!!!!!!!

I guess that's all I got to say about that...
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

OK, sorry Web! I just am so angry that people can get by with the crap they do! This country was built on a system of checks and balances and it seems there are none in this industry. I'm frustrated. Ignorant people such as this supervisor should not be in a position of authority over other people! I guess maybe I broke bad on you when I really want to SQUASH HIS LITTLE HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will you forgive me?
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Years of Experience
    retired

Absolutely, no hard feelings at all. Now I gotta get my butt out the door and paint d..... something.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerSweep View Post
    Send your supervisor an email making the request. I have heard & seen issues with locators putting this in their notes & they never asked for anything. It was just a way to pass the buck to the supervisor without actually doing it. Emails are a way to document that the request actually took place.
    I had my guys doing that for all unattended backchecks. But if they were on a locate, and called me for help to get in a manhole or something, I usually responded right away, either with myself, or calling another tech to go help. Email is a great way to document those types of situations.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Just a quick thought everyone in terms of having no where else to go.

Just the other day I had a conversation with one of my favorite contractors regarding them hiring an experienced locator to look over plans, platts, etc to try to determine time requirements for a locate, to meet locators and define dig areas, etc. review and sign the locates afterwards.

They wanted an experienced locator so they would have less problems with undefined work areas, inadequate locate, poor drawings, etc. They also wanted someone who can talk the lingo and know when a locator might be blowing smoke up their butt.

In addition, if a nubee arrives, can give them ideas/assistance for hookups etc.

Had not ever thought about locating from this perspective before.

How about contacting some of your contractors and putting a suggestion forward to them.

Couldn't hurt!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Hey if you can find one to hire you go ahead and take it. For the most part at least in my state the contractors expect locating to be done for free. I guess the concept of having a 'Professional Locator' on the payroll isn't worth it to them. They would much rather pay the heafty fines or be tied up in litigation doing the he said he said game. Mismarks, no marks or whatever they seem to love it because 'hey it's free'.
    (I've tried using these points to drum up some business, they would rather hit shit than pay for a locate)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Just a quick thought everyone in terms of having no where else to go.

Just the other day I had a conversation with one of my favorite contractors regarding them hiring an experienced locator to look over plans, platts, etc to try to determine time requirements for a locate, to meet locators and define dig areas, etc. review and sign the locates afterwards.

They wanted an experienced locator so they would have less problems with undefined work areas, inadequate locate, poor drawings, etc. They also wanted someone who can talk the lingo and know when a locator might be blowing smoke up their butt.

In addition, if a nubee arrives, can give them ideas/assistance for hookups etc.

Had not ever thought about locating from this perspective before.

How about contacting some of your contractors and putting a suggestion forward to them.

Couldn't hurt!
    Pretty much all the drill crews have their own locators now. Most road crews also. They call in their one call tickets but then when trying to pothole something they can hookup and pinpoint it for accuracy and depth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123