Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Stayton you make me laugh

Default Mike Stayton you make me laugh

Mike Stayton you make me laugh. I been thinking about writing this thread for about a week. Mike sented out a e-mail about giving to the United Way. Their must have been at least five more e-mails about donating. The deadline past and gone. So we get another e-mail. The deadline has been moved to try get more people to donated. Don't you get it Mike. You take our bonus , on- call money, freeze our wages for a year, and mess with your 401k. I have give to United way in the past and all for it. But when you cut from us we have to do our own cutting.

Default Re: Mike Stayton you make me laugh

I agree. That greedy bastard has sent out several e-mails , pressuring us to donate. He has the nerve after cutting out OT, make us pay $15 dollars a week to home garage our vehicles, demanding more tickets per day, no bonuses, no incentives, spending thousands of dollars on gps, and to ask us to donate in this economy.....please!!!

Years of Experience

good for you guys, stick up to this guy
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience
    16 yrs

15.00 a week to home garage your company vehicle ??? now there is something new since i left last year, are they "USIC" doing this everywhere or is this just a few districts ? this is the kinda stuff that made me walk away after 10 years with them just way too much taking away and wanting us to give even more glad to see somebody is still voicing their opions

Quote Originally Posted by pipehorn king View Post
    I agree. That greedy bastard has sent out several e-mails , pressuring us to donate. He has the nerve after cutting out OT, make us pay $15 dollars a week to home garage our vehicles, demanding more tickets per day, no bonuses, no incentives, spending thousands of dollars on gps, and to ask us to donate in this economy.....please!!!
    P King, I'm sure you meant to say he pays you $15 a week for his ugly truck taking up space at your house??? If not, WTF would you work there for.

Hey, Deja Vue, Just last week a dancer at Satin Dolls on Rt 17 (Bada Bing Club) told me........No P King......... unless your Tipping.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by skwardog View Post
    P King, I'm sure you meant to say he pays you $15 a week for his ugly truck taking up space at your house??? If not, WTF would you work there for.

Hey, Deja Vue, Just last week a dancer at Satin Dolls on Rt 17 (Bada Bing Club) told me........No P King......... unless your Tipping.
    According to IRS rules, personal use of a company vehicle is income to the employee. Personal use is driving from home to work and back home everyday using a company vehicle. This rule has had a lack of enforcement but it looks like the IRS is stepping up enforcement.

By paying a nominal fee the use of the vehicle is not added to your income and is not taxed.

I question this tax when your employer requires you to take the vehicle home and does not give you the option to drive to the office and pick the vehicle up there.

I do not think this taxation applies, or the fee either, if you are on-call and required to leave from your home in the company vehicle on demand.

Something to ask a tax professional.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

they use to do an auto thing on your paycheck for accounting purposes but would put it right back in. Are they now not putting it back in?

USIC does not take $ from your check or add it back. They simply show that you have earned an extra $3.00 per day and report it as income to the IRS. Of course, if you do stop at a store on the way home, you will be subject to immediate termination. They also claim that we receive over $6,000 annually in benefits by having use of the co. truck. I don't know why they don't include our locating equipment, paint and flags and computers, none of which, can we employ for personal use.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    USIC does not take $ from your check or add it back. They simply show that you have earned an extra $3.00 per day and report it as income to the IRS. Of course, if you do stop at a store on the way home, you will be subject to immediate termination. They also claim that we receive over $6,000 annually in benefits by having use of the co. truck. I don't know why they don't include our locating equipment, paint and flags and computers, none of which, can we employ for personal use.
    I'm guessing you got your fancy benefit report in the mail too? You're absolutely right...they put the $3 in our income, then take it back out after it's been taxed. I paid them over $200 last year for vehicle use, but don't you dare stop at the store on the way home to pick up dinner. Instead, we're expected to drive right by it, drive to our house, get in our personal car, and drive back.

On the topic of the thread, donating money to the UW...how about we take out our GPS units, sell them on eBay, and donate that money? If they want my money so bad, they can fight for it with the bill collectors I deal with on a weekly basis lol

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Okay, lunch time! Time to post something.

That $6,000 a year may be exaggerated but perhaps by not so much.

The value of the take home vehicle varies by the needs of the employee.

In general you save gas, wear and tear and maintenance costs on your personal vehicle and itís life is extended. This alone can end up being worth several thousand dollars a year.

Since you do not rely on the personal vehicle to get to work itís reliability can, if you choose, be less so the cost of buying a new vehicle can be set aside until much later.

If your personal vehicle breaks down and you cannot get to work you are either incurring the expense of using leave time or not being paid at all.

It is common for some people to own two personal vehicles in case their principal use personal vehicle should break down. Often a much older paid for vehicle is kept as the second vehicle. If you have a commute vehicle from your employer this second vehicle need not be kept. So the costs of ownership, especially insurance, is diverted to your pocket as surplus income.

If you pay three dollars a day for the company owned commute vehicle this is far less than the cost of gasoline in most cases. This is also below the costs in wear, maintenance, insurance and capital investment in both primary and secondary personal vehicles.

The $3.00 a day charge is not a bad deal for the employee, in fact you make money on it.
    Being taxed on $3.00 a day ďincomeĒ is even less expensive.

It occurred to me that if the use of a company vehicle is listed as a benefit on your taxes and you pay income tax on itís use you may be able to get rid of that tax. I am thinking of the rules where you are not allowed to stop on the way home at a store even if you are passing right by it.

Take an apartment complex maintenance man. If an apartment to live in is provided it has to be taxed as income. There is an exception to this being taxed if the employee is required to live on the property in order to service after hours maintainence calls.

My argument against the use of the vehicle being taxed would be two separate points.

I present my argument as separate points so that the approval of only one point would win the case.

Point one:

(a) The employee does not have the option to use their personal vehicle.

(b) That the vehicle is not driven to the company office first but directly to a jobsite for the purpose of the company maximizing employee productivity.

( c ) That the employer required the employee to house the vehicle at their home including setting aside space or paying any parking permit fees required.

Point Two;

That the employee during commute time, when they are not on the clock, are not allowed to use the vehicle they paid for either by payroll deduction or taxation as a benefit, because they are not allowed the routine use of the vehicle of stopping at a store that is on their regular route home. That this restriction required the employee to drive home and then drive back out to go to the store negates the commute vehicle benefit.

I think the way to do this is to take the appeal a previous year where an income tax has been paid on the use of the vehicle as a benefit.

If the income tax on the benefit of a commute vehicle can be negated then the company charge for the use of the vehicle can be denied.

But wait theres more - now you get the chance to be entered into a raffle to win a 20$ gift certificate if you donate. This is getting ridiculous.

Years of Experience

Contract locating companies are known for being tightwads. ELM cut their employees pay. All (or most) locate companies are ditching the bonuses. You get monitored by GPS so they know if you are taking the scenic route or not. You get my drift. Why then do they let you take the company vehicle home? Because it is to their advantage. They would lose money if you drove to the office, got your company truck and hit the road. When they tell you they are doing you a favor, tell them you are doing them the favor.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Contract locating companies are known for being tightwads. ELM cut their employees pay. All (or most) locate companies are ditching the bonuses. You get monitored by GPS so they know if you are taking the scenic route or not. You get my drift. Why then do they let you take the company vehicle home? Because it is to their advantage. They would lose money if you drove to the office, got your company truck and hit the road. When they tell you they are doing you a favor, tell them you are doing them the favor.

It is more than productivity, it is rent.

Many locate firms lease space in industrial parks. Part of the lease is often the number of vehicles they can park there. Many firms do not have enough parking for their locators to leave the company trucks parked there overnight or leave their private cars there while working in the field.
    I know becasue I worked in one such office.

So if the locators did not take the trucks home they would lose not less than an hour productivity each, probably between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hrs, daily plus have to find a place new office location at a higher rent. There would also be the expense of moving the office and that is not cheap.

Hi just now able to post lol, one thing they know if ya drive your own car to go get your truck to go to work they know you wont be out till 7 or 8 at night working to keep your head above water, you would be at the shop by 5 ,6 and call it a day and leave the lap top there

More emails today pressuring us to donate once again. When will it stop??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast