Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Locators get shafted!!!!!!

Default Locators get shafted!!!!!!

FROM THE HORSES MOUTH.....
    From the Desk of Mike Stayton

Dear USIC Colleagues,

USIC is committed to recognizing your dedication to providing efficient and top quality work for both our customers and our communities.

We are all in this together. To ensure that all highly effective employees are financially rewarded consistent with their contribution, USIC is moving all of its 2012 compensation plans to a Pay-for-Performance model and is introducing Pay-for-Performance bonus plans for all employees in lieu of annual wage increases. USIC started transitioning to this Pay-for-Performance model in 2011 when some employees received bonuses in lieu of a base pay increase.

The Pay-for Performance bonus plans will be funded only if USIC meets its targeted financial performance levels, which we are well on our way to achieving. Periodic progress reports will be communicated by your District or Corporate Manager throughout the 2012 plan period. This compensation plan provides USIC the flexibility to recognize good work and provide additional pay to the high performing employees in each District or Corporate department. The specifics, by position, are as follows:

Technicians

Technicians will have two opportunities to be rewarded for your performance. The first installment of your Pay-for-Performance bonus will be based on your productivity, quality and safety performance from January 1st through June 30th and paid in July 2012. The second installment will be based on the same measures for July 1st through September 30th, and paid in October 2012.

Technicians covered by piece-rate, our new hire wage progression plan, and/or a collective bargaining agreement are not eligible for this Pay-for-Performance plan.

Field and Corporate Employees (Non Management)

Field and Corporate employees will have an opportunity to be rewarded for your individual work performance as measured by your performance review. Half of your Pay-for-Performance bonus will be paid in July 2012 and the second half paid in October 2012.

We recently communicated similar Pay-for-Performance bonus plans, in lieu of pay increases, for Supervisors and all Management.

As with any lump sum payment, any earned bonus is subject to applicable taxes, any other required deductions on file, and current 401K contribution elections at time of payout. It will be paid on a separate check and taxed at the normal tax rate. For yearend tax purposes, the lump sum bonus is included in regular wages.

USIC is excited to offer this Pay-for-Performance Bonus Plan to each of you and to recognize its top performing employees, and I think you will find it a rewarding process.

Best Regards,

Mike's Signature

Default Re: Locators get shafted!!!!!!

"We are all in this together"....."The Pay-for Performance bonus plans will be funded only if USIC meets its targeted financial performance levels"...

Hmmm.. I don't recall anybody asking our opions on this matter. So, we are NOT all in this together. What are the exact financial performance levels? I highly doubt that they will ever state the exact level. Also, what is the monetary amount in this so-called payment schedule?

There are going to be a lot of pissed off employees.

Years of Experience

Interesting.

It seems that, as I read it, Technicians, Field and Corporate employees, and Management are all going to pay for performance BUT... they are not on the same pay for performance plan. A question I have is this: does the managements PFP depend on USIC meeting its "targeted financial performance levels"? The letter says they are on a similar plan, not the same plan.

The Pay-for Performance bonus plans will be funded only if USIC meets its targeted financial performance levels, which we are well on our way to achieving.
    When I was with STS we would hear this alot. Bonuses will be handed out if we meet our goals and by the way, it looks like we are on our way to acheiving that. Then when it came around to getting bonuses we would find out we were just short of meeting those goals. But, if we tried just a little bit harder then we were sure to meet the goals. It never happened, but the manager always got his bonus.

Field and Corporate employees will have an opportunity to be rewarded for your individual work performance as measured by your performance review. Half of your Pay-for-Performance bonus will be paid in July 2012 and the second half paid in October 2012.
    This is also known as the "buddy system". You can do a great job but if the manager thinks you aren't kissing enough booty then it will literally cost you your kids school clothes and after dinner dessert. Hand me downs for those who aren't up to brown nosing. Believe me, I saw this when I worked for a company called Micron Technologies.

I know I don't work for USIC but I've been involved with corporate lingo long enough to read between the lines.

What exactly are the "targeted financial performance levels"?
    Why aren't the managers on the same plan as the technicians?
    How do you measure performance from person to person when some people are in areas that historically are harder to complete tickets in? What about rural vs. urban areas?
    Does a damage cancel out a PFP bonus?

PFP is not good. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. But, as with Unions... I don't believe you until you prove me wrong.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    17 years

Keep a close eye on anyone who has the authority to manipulate tickets in the system. They can get cherry picked right off your board and sent to the teachers pet or even to the sups themselves if they do tickets. Rural guys are gonna get soaked. So are project guys. Anyone who has long drive times or large ticket scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Keep a close eye on anyone who has the authority to manipulate tickets in the system. They can get cherry picked right off your board and sent to the teachers pet or even to the sups themselves if they do tickets. Rural guys are gonna get soaked. So are project guys. Anyone who has long drive times or large ticket scopes.
    Unfortunately, I fall into one of those categories (Projects and always very large ticket scopes).. Of course, the Sup. always says that most if not all tickets that everybody gets in my area are single lots and should only take 15 minutes to mark out... like one I had not too long ago that included: 2 phone duct runs (with 20+ cables/fibers in them), 2 independent fibers, mulitiple direct buried cables, 3 gas services, 2 gas mains, a few 3-phase primary electric lines, some secondary lines, oh yeah also CATV and all the drops for that too. Of course the Sup turns around after seeing what was billed and asks why did that take you more than 45 minutes for a single lot?

Looks like I may get the Stayton shaft....

Years of Experience
    too many

With the stuff they added in Texas they should have increased there profit Over the last year we added Time warner telco , verizon, Garland Power and light, and atmos .our located got way bigger but We arent getting paid more.

am I reading this right? new hires do not qualify for a performance raise? locators only qualify for the raise if they meet production quotas AND their fellow locators? If that's the case, why would anyone want to break their back and have others not put in the effort? Why should my raise de dependent on the performance of others if I am doing my part? Please tell me I am reading this wrong, this was not what I was told my interview.

Years of Experience
    too many

Welcome to USIC Broken!

Would somebody explain to me why USIC bought Consolidated, not the other way around, but where I am Consolidated is running the show, from the DM to the sups to the same failed procedures and policies.

Once again the union employees are getting screwed. The only thing the union gets accomplished for the employees at USIC is collecting monthly dues. Employee #1 does 500 tickets a day and Employee #2 does 5 tickets a day, yet they get paid the same under a union. There is no motivation to be productive under union rule. The Union is for lazy ass people

Well, last year I didn't get a raise, just $400 in 2 installments. So, I guess I don't have to worry about raises anymore.

I had really hoped they had done away with the old Carrot and Stick idea.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Broken, they are saying that you are not eligible for pfp until you have progressed through the new hire wage progression discussed with you when hired. Basicly you will never get a raise beyond what you where told you will be making at the end of being a traniee.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    Once again the union employees are getting screwed. The only thing the union gets accomplished for the employees at USIC is collecting monthly dues. Employee #1 does 500 tickets a day and Employee #2 does 5 tickets a day, yet they get paid the same under a union. There is no motivation to be productive under union rule. The Union is for lazy ass people
    That is the one of the problems of a union. It is the LCD effect. It settles to mediocrity. It may take a while but eventually the employee#1 will come to the conclusion that why am I busting my ass for since i will not get anything more for it. then there will be that employee#2 where in the contract says he has to do 5 tickets a day and he will make sure he gets that done to ensure he covers himself but will milk out the time.

Technicians covered by piece-rate, our new hire wage progression plan, and/or a collective bargaining agreement are not eligible for this Pay-for-Performance plan.

Collective bargaining mean an union employee. That employee does not get the bonus his raise is already set by the contact, USIC can not say hey we are freezing all raises next year.

also I am surprised no one picked up and them mentioning the piece rate thing.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I wouldn't want to put the new guys on pfp because they are the most likely to miss something if they get in a hurry. Give em a year to learn the ropes and get familiar with their area. Otherwise they'd damage out too quick.
    They're still trying to figure out why the long timers don't produce as well as the noobs and they think this will incentivize speed. They don't get that the long timers are slower because they have learned to do the job right!! They miss less. It takes more time and walking to verify potential conflicts. And that unbonding and REBONDING correctly takes time. A million other things like that.
    It may work ok as long as the base pay doesn't go down. Just don't get greedy and change what has kept you your jobs by trying to make that bonus.

So I guess we are just supposed to let them change the rules and do what they want when they want. You need to realise that its not just about money, its about representation and a fair playing field. Let them keeapplying the take ,take ,take theory and see where you are in A YEAR. As far as lazy ass people, don't try to hat all union workers are lazy, there are far more employees here that are not union than are. I have seen more "milkers" than the union HELPS
    superman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast