View Poll Results: Would you work for a locating company created for Locators by Locatoes5

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would work for a locating company created for Locators by Locators

3 25.00%
  • I wouldn't

0 0%
  • I prefer a large company

0 0%
  • I would love a company where I'm compensated for my knowledge & ability.

9 75.00%
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By thealchemist69
  • 1 Post By Mke
  • 2 Post By ifinditunderground
  • 1 Post By paintitnow
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: A Locating Company Created By Locators for Locators

Years of Experience

Default A Locating Company Created By Locators for Locators

My name is Stacey E. Slaw I've been in the locating & utilities industry for over 11 years now. I've been on the design, engineering, construction & locating side for gas, electric, water, sewer, mapping & communication. I like many locators have been a significant part of feeding the giants (USIC etc.,), generating millions of dollars in revenue while my family lived check to check. The big companies have no concern for the quality of living of the very people who create/generate the wealth they receive. Recently I was allowed a rare opportunity to be involved with an upcoming utility locating company who care about my input on locating, allows profit sharing, and a decent wage without being ran in the ground then tossed aside, discarded like a piece of garbage. We should as locators should be ashamed of ourselves for allowing the big companies to treat us the way they have for so many years when we have the resource they need (locating experience). They need us more than we need them. We gave all the leverage and never act on it. Here is our opportunity as locators to receive the pay & consideration we and our families deserve. My name is Stacey Slaw, if you know me you know I'm a true locator, part of the locating fraternity. If you know me you know I'm not lying. If you know me join me & aid me in building this locating company created for Locators by locators.

If you want to know more contact me 336-988-2520, or reply to my email sslawdraftingdesign@gmail.co. Right now we have work in the Southeastern United States.
    Kramit69 and yahoo like this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Locating Company Created By Locators for Locators

I don't know you, but I have a basic understanding of human nature and a cursory understanding on how the industry sits currently.

I've worked for companies owned by locators... They are typically private or SUE firms. Typically these companies don't run large utility contracts. They pay pretty well, but you will typically have long days.

Dangling the "decent wage without being ran in the ground" carrot is fine, but how does this firm deal with that? What is the support structure? I had half the number of jobs with the private locating out fit, but had the same amount of headache due to the nature of the beast.

Locating is Locating. How is this company different? Don't get me wrong, if they didn't have nanny cams in the vehicles it would be a world of difference. I believe that the Achilles heel of the industry is the fact that most of the locators you see are treated as a necessary evil. There are good companies to work for out there. most of which are small companies that have little or no contract locates to do. Most of their locates are just private requests for specific jobs. Where most locators are contract locators working for large companies dealing with large contracts.

In order to get into this world you have to have the man power and be able to meet or undercut existing contract prices. In order for you offer locators "the promise land" of locating They should have a good concept of the company and their plan to tackle such an issue.

Or I'm looking at this totally wrong and you are just posting job positions for your company instead of a trying to organize the industry to revolutionize the way the way locates and locators are looked upon.

if it is the former, I'd post in the Jobs board as well.

mke
    second notice likes this.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

daman1 and Mke like this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

I agree with Ifindit . but I do hope that all works out . sounds neat !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

We welcome you to the 'Vine, Stacey. Are you planning on staying in the southeast, or will you be expanding elsewhere? We could certainly use a decent place to work in the Northeast.

Mke has some strong comments, but keep in mind that he has been a locator for a very long time. Anyone who survives that long in this industry is certifiably paranoid. It's just the nature of the demon. His paranoia is healthy, and he has every right to question everything he sees. We wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm interested in your new company. Do you have a website yet? What's the name of it? Are you doing just locating, or do you also perform water leak detection, concrete scanning, sewer camera inspections?

I hope you come northeast, you sound like decent people.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Is not most locating companies started by former locators? sm&p was started by three people. I believe they were locators. EEE I believe was started by a former sm&p locator. There is a small company that locates a CO_OP Utilities that worked for EEE.

This we hold the power is just union talk? These companies run on like 38% turnover rate. My company is like 67% has less than 2 years in. Most of the states are "will to work" I think it is called. So if you leave or strike or whatever they will just more people. If you want change get on your representatives's ass and get it a law that a locator needs to be certified. It is required in every state to have a one call center and someone has locate utilities. Until we are considered skilled labor the pay will be low. To most locating companies we are cannon fodder. Use us until we burn out and just get another one.
    orangeboots likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

A company run for locators also has to be a bit of a tough nut. Good locators do not like bad locators.
    Bad locators blow off tickets, rush to get their numbers up and do inaccurate markings, show up late and have high absenteeism, do not work to their capacity (hey, I marked 15 tickets - 10 of them no conflict - and won't do any more in 8 hours) all off which endangers the contract(s) and creates extra work the good locators have to do. Other problems like taking the company truck out for personal use after work hours.

You cannot be shy about firing the bad locators and I assure you the good locators are glad to see the bad ones gone.
    FieldTech561 and TheCableVine like this.

Years of Experience

All companies operate differently. I spent 13 years in contract locating and the last 14 in SUE and there are good and bad companies in both industries. All depends on the ownership and how they go about business. The SUE industry is not a cake walk but the 3 firms I have worked for were way better than the company I spent 13 years with in contract locating.

Time to crank up the vac truck!

Years of Experience

I've worked for both. If anything the private companies are bigger penny pinchers. It comes down to, do you really want to stuff the pockets of a bunch of anonymous investors or stuff the pockets of a guy who doesn't give a fukk about you. Countless days of earning the company 2k+ doing gpr work and what do you really get from it other then an early retirement for the owner.

Years of Experience

One of my friends are currently working for a private utility company. He is on salary based, having a super flexible work schedule. The company is also willing to fly him out to job-sites and giving him opportunities on new projects. They also train him on other complimentary services like concrete scanning, gpr scanning, xray. So i guess you just gotta find a company culture that fits your preferences. If you are interested, check them out at: https://www.penhall.com/utility-locating/ or https://www.penhall.com/.

Years of Experience
    a few

well which is it you spammer your friend or the magic company you found and called? You posted all over the web any place the had utility and underground as part of the thread and tried to blend your spam into it, is this penhall company really that bad and desperate to spam everywhere hoping some fool reads and believes what you write

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    well which is it you spammer your friend or the magic company you found and called? You posted all over the web any place the had utility and underground as part of the thread and tried to blend your spam into it, is this penhall company really that bad and desperate to spam everywhere hoping some fool reads and believes what you write
    I'm guessing 13htran is with some kind of hole in the wall employment recruiter and Penhall is unaware of their practices. Wannabe techies too lazy to do real work found a hustle instead. Probly getting paid by the click.