Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I want to start my own locating company

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I want to start my own locating company

Welcome back John......errr Mack. Sounds to me like you are asking for a bunch of locators to band together to make YOU rich. Making you that person that you are trying to "Buck". What an idiot.....I've got a coffee cup full of pennies you are welcome to as an "investment" but I think even that is a HUGE waste of money on you.

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    I read alot of posts today in this forum. Nothing written in here has anything to do with going solo or breaking away from the naysayers. I am researching the internet for information on how to start my own locating company or maybe partner with someone who thinks the same.

Besides alot of complaining and neutral conversations,

Can anyone give me input, ideas, suggestions, information or links relating to starting my own locate company?

I would like to find a partner or partners who love locating but are fed up with the way things are ran from company to company.

What I'm thinking is a little different from the conventional way companies think. For example, getting alot of capital, fleet vehicles, employees, supervisors, insurances, promoting and so on.

I'm thinking that the only way locators can profit from this industry is to become certified, licensed and insured. Then we would be in a data base and hired individually as a professional with our own vehicle and equipment to do a job for so long in such an area. I was looking at my directv installer and I see that they are subcontractors. I see many technicians on a daily basis installing cable tv with their own vehicles and it seems they work alone and from what I understand they are contractors also.
    I love the idea of dealing direct with the client.

How can we become more powerful as individual locators? Like a lawyer or a doctor? Where campanies like AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Sprint, Embarq have no choice but to contact a certified individual directly and contract with them directly to do a job in a specific area for so long.
    We wouldn't have to use translore, q-manager or any other ticket management software for billing because we would get our tickets directly from the one call center by logging in. the call center gets the tickets first, then the locating companies log into the one call server and get like 500 tickets, then the company routes them to the supervisors by area, then the supervisor cherry picks and gives you your fuked up tickets.

This system started by ordinary people just like you and me. It can be redone. Or maybe one of you out there are "like minded" and want to be a contracted professional instead of a low wage employee in this lucrative business with millions and millions of dollars flowing into bank accounts of individuals to protect the country's infrastructure.

Did you know that if Obama wins, we will have more money flowing into our infrastructure, roads, bridges and utilities? If Mcain wins the money goes to the middle east. Locators will be in demand more than ever if Obama wins.

I am getting out of the subject.

But any ideas, brainstorming or meeting up in person are welcome. I want to break away from this enless trap of locating for low wages and taking crap from ordinary folks who are in the same boat with me but are illusioned with the "supervisor" "district manager" title (you are still an employee and subject to termination by Arnold the terminator"

Sure first go to the sba website small business ass. from there you will find all kinds of info on starting a legal business. You need to come up with a real business plan in it you have to estimate how many accounts you will have how much you will be spending how much you will be making and you need to state why you feel your services are needed. you need to hook up with the IRS and get a tax number you have to contact all the local city and county governments in the areas you want your business find out about permitting,

these are just some basics you need to get a supplier for equipment you need to get some kind of ticket manager program Utiliquest has Qmanager.
    I suggest starting the sba like I said before they will advise you step by step on how to open your business............. Hey if you start you business in florida let me know and I will come run your office for you If you let me work from my wheelchair at home....... Don't forget about liability insurance we use to carry a 3 million dollar policy minimum.
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Years of Experience

I have a few thoughts on your potentail business:
    1.) Do you have enough money behind you to buy the required equipment, including vehicles, locate equipment, GPR, etc? Do you have enough to live on for at least one year until things start going? It typically takes a utility 60-90 days to pay an invoice.
    2.) Do you have enough money to purchase the right amount of insurance, keeping in mind that every utility company, regardless of size, has minimum insurance requirements, which can exceed $10M per incident?
    3.) Do you have any background or education is running a business?

Just something to consider. If you answered no to any of these, you should rethink your idea.

Oh yeah, and Obama is clueless and will tax us out of existance to take care of the lazy, welfare-fed folks...

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I have a much better suggestion for you.......go purchase an old 80's style Dodge K Car, one without an airbag, that runs. Get in, don't bother to buckle your seatbelt, and drive at top speed into the largest tree you can possibly find.
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    I have a much better suggestion for you.......go purchase an old 80's style Dodge K Car, one without an airbag, that runs. Get in, don't bother to buckle your seatbelt, and drive at top speed into the largest tree you can possibly find.

Thank you for the image dude. Does anyone else miss the K car?
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Mack... it sounds to me like you think that having a locating business is all about raking in the $$. Have you really thought all of this through? Not only do you have all of the above mentioned expenses & liabilities, but you have also mentioned subcontracting... you are either going to start your business or subcontract.. which to me sounds like anyone who is "like minded" with you, isn't really going into business with you... they are just affiliating. There is so much more than just "hanging a sign out". Maybe you want to take on all of that in your own "grandios way of thinking", but if you have not weighed all of the pros AND cons of running a business then you are in for a big surprise! The grass isn't always greener on the other side... and if you don't run a legitimate, quality business.. it may be green for a while but will quickly dry up.

Years of Experience

Hey ifindit - What do you have against MOPARS?

Why not a Chevy Chevette?

-----

Or better yet, how about a crappy import?

Weren't the 'K' cars part of Reliant? Not really mopar, actually NOTHING from Dodge in the late 70's, 80's and 90's was MOPAR (exception being the truck line ie. Power Wagon), maybe the Diplomat (police package). I'm pretty sure the rest of the Dodge line up sucked.

Years of Experience

Wing, that looks like my old chevette! lol

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Weren't the 'K' cars part of Reliant? Not really mopar, actually NOTHING from Dodge in the late 70's, 80's and 90's was MOPAR (exception being the truck line ie. Power Wagon), maybe the Diplomat (police package). I'm pretty sure the rest of the Dodge line up sucked.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Wing, I drive a Neon to work everyday, I have a Durango in the driveway, I traded in a Grand Caravan on the Durango, I sold my Dakota pickup two years ago cause I couldn't stand seeing it sit in the the driveway for months not being driven, I traded in a Durango for the Grand Caravan......and I even have a Mitsubishi Galant sitting in my garage. (And one Ford Mustang) I like Dodge. It doesn't change the fact that when I ran Fire and Rescue we called the K cars Dodge Death Boxes or Dodge Koffins because if you were involved in an accident at even a moderate speed......chances are you weren't gonna make it.

Years of Experience
    na

Wing, I drive a Neon to work everyday, I have a Durango in the driveway, I traded in a Grand Caravan on the Durango, I sold my Dakota pickup two years ago cause I couldn't stand seeing it sit in the the driveway for months not being driven, I traded in a Durango for the Grand Caravan......and I even have a Mitsubishi Galant sitting in my garage. (And one Ford Mustang) I like Dodge. It doesn't change the fact that when I ran Fire and Rescue we called the K cars Dodge Death Boxes or Dodge Koffins because if you were involved in an accident at even a moderate speed......chances are you weren't gonna make it.

All those vehicles- imagine what effect you have had on the environment???

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yep.....one of them even has a Hemi which averages between 12 and 16 MPG.....and I even have two Jetskis....two-stroke engines. Pollution at it's finest! And I have a riding mower -gas engine, a gas trimmer, a gas pressure washer, a gas snow blower. My kids have a little four wheeler with a two-stroke engine too! I love pissing all you tree huggers off..... You and Al Gore can eat my shorts.
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; September 20th, 2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: UDIC is an ASS.

Yep.....one of them even has a Hemi which averages between 12 and 16 MPG.....and I even have two Jetskis....two-stroke engines. Pollution at it's finest! And I have a riding mower -gas engine, a gas trimmer, a gas pressure washer, a gas snow blower. My kids have a little four wheeler with a two-stroke engine too! I love pissing all you tree huggers off..... You and Al Gore can eat my shorts.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Again Wing, past 1975 Dodge SUCKED! Look at what they stopped making because of the "Energy Crisis" then. Challenger, Charger (the real one not the new 4 door imposter), Dart all the real muscle cars that made Dodge great in the 60's and early 70's you know, back when when you could fill your tank buy a pack of smokes and six pack (of anything) and get change back from a $10 dollar bill, that "energy crisis".
    Their product line in the recent past, Neon (sucked), Stealth (good attempt, sucked), Stratus (sucked). Best thing Dodge has done since 1974 is bring back the Challenger and brought it back the way IT SHOULD BE, not like that bullsh*t Magnum with the station wagon ass end shortend, Charger was a 2 door and as far as I'm concerned should ALWAYS reamain that way. I would NEVER buy a Magnum or Magnum (sport) as it should have been called. At least if they did that I might have bought one. IMHO

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast