Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I want to start my own locating company

Default Re: I want to start my own locating company

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    Yes, I'm wondering why. I am also wondering why this guy that took my nick "administrator" says he not in the mood for old tricks. Can someone enlighten me? Is he talking to you or me?

Are you kidding me????? ..... (shaking head in total disbelief).... Did you even "think" about the name you originally chose????.... Uh...Duhhhh...

Banned

Hi again,

My name is Charlie Helms from Wappings Falls, New York. I am in Clearwater, Florida helping with a convention setup. Just wanted to let you know that I am serious about putting together an organization of professional locators. I found your website via google. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with local locating employees. I thought the forum was for locating in general but it looks more to me like a tight community of locating employees chit chatting at the watercooler.

Certification will be a requirement and I was wondering if any of you heard of a company called Utility Training Academy. So far they seem to be the only group training in this niche market.

I want you to feel free to contact me at Charlie_Helms@live.com to brainstorm ideas and set up an organization of certified professional locators. and maybe we can pass them through this school.

Tell me what you think...

Charlie

Go to Staking University, it's much much better than UTA.

Banned

Thank you for that information AULUpstate, I just sent a letter to UTA's website. I just looked at Stake University's site. Looks interesting. Do you know of other training schools across the country off the top of your head?

So far I have two on my list.

I know that many utility companies train their own locators with an experienced locator. There are no standard certification requirements in America that I am aware of. I could be wrong, but my searches don't bring in results.

With thousands of locators across the United States, I wonder who is teaching these men and women these skills? I learned with SM&P.

There must be a law somewhere that requires locators to be nationally certified, licensed and insured for damages individually (This would make everyone a careful locator). If no law exists, then there should be one.
    And if the certification of locators is law, then there will be a need for schools to train these people and register them.

I don't know how I'm gonna do this, but somehow locators across this country must wake up and unite with me to take the power away from the employers who exploit us and be recognized as vital highly paid professionals.

This can be done in my lifetime. It is doable. It's not unrealistic.

The locator will be up there with engineers, surveyers, inspectors and public saftey.

So, are you telling me that only two or three individuals are making some money training locators across the country? What if we round up these schools and locators of this forum, organize into a National Locators Association and just stop all operations on a certain date nationally and make a request to our government and multi billion dollar utility companies?

If millions of people protested for O.J. Simpson, then it couldn't be too hard for locators to stop work and stand up on a specific day to bring awareness.

I was looking at the NUCLA website for locators, and there is absolutely nothing of benefit there. Just pictures of men in neckties and I don't see anyone on that site bending over backwords for contract utility locators.

We can do better. It's 2008

If you check out the forum ... we have had quite a few discussions on this topic. You will find that there are a lot who agree with the idea of certification & licensing of locators. This is a skilled trade... as those who have been around more than six months know... it should require some sort of certification... or apprenticeship program.

Years of Experience

OK, time for me to chime in...

Locator Certification is an open topic on this board already, search the topics and you will find it.

The idea is already coming to pass in at least three states, Georgia, California and Wyoming. California already passed a "Locator Qualification" Statute, Georgia has a "Locator Certification" statute in the legislature for a vote and Wyoming is drafting legislation for the same.

There is a major meeting on Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 in Marco Island, FL to discuss Locator Certification on state and national levels. The "who's who" of locating and certification will be in attendance including Mike Parilac of Staking U, Bob Neiswonger of UTA and reps from DeKalb Technical College (A Georgia College that offers a certificate program in Locator training). Also in attendance will be reps from every major locating company, NULCA, NUCA, CGA and the Major Equipment manufacturers (RD, Metrotech, Vivax, Heath, Schonstadt, etc).

The idea of Locator Certification is already happening and the train has left the station while you were talking about political candidates.

NULCA has a new focus and a new Executive Director who will be working hard on the "Locator Certification" front, so don't discount them just yet.

I have spoken with the Administrator of DeKalb Technical College regarding their program. They are willing to meet with other community colleges to advise them on starting similar programs and standardizing cirriculum.

The round table discussion on Weds, is with the Florida Utility Coordinating Committee, a group with the power to create and influence legislation certainly in the State of Florida and potentially nationally. Florida may set the example for other states to follow unless NULCA and the CGA can push to establish a federal format....stay tuned.

SM&P is now using 4 week training classes. I think it might behoove them to come up with some type of Instructor's Certification. I'm not big on Locator Certification or Standardized Training due to different situations in different parts of the Country.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    SM&P is now using 4 week training classes. I think it might behoove them to come up with some type of Instructor's Certification. I'm not big on Locator Certification or Standardized Training due to different situations in different parts of the Country.
    Spray, there are specific answers for your concerns. I will post the report from the round table meeting this Weds. I am sure that it will address the specific concerns regarding certification.

The plain truth is this; Locator Certification is coming, like it or not, it is coming. Just look at California, Georgia and Wyoming...NULCA has realized this is coming and is jockeying for the ability to drive the train before it runs away.

The basic principal is this; Locators will be certified in abilities that are universal to the process, i.e. EM theory and practice, GPR theory and practice, plan and as-built reading. These will be called "Core Certifications". Once a locator is certified in the "Core" competencies, they can earn specialization certs such as Gas, Water, Power & Telecom. As we all know, there are specific intricacies to each of these facility locates, i.e. locating water does not involve unbonding a ped...

Over the past several weeks, in conversations with NULCA Board Members and CGA Board Members, they realize that certification is the next logical step and that the train has already left the station in three states. They want to create the standard and drive the process before process leaves them behind.

You have three choices, drive the train, ride the train or get run over by it...where do you want to be?

National Standardization would be nice. Problem is 'Diploma Mills' might start poping up Certifying people who really shouldn't be locating jack if it is going to cost money to get certified. GWJ CAS, ask Bob how much he charges at UTA when your at the Marco Island meeting. Not to sling mud but not a big fan of the 'graduates' I've ran into.
    Hey if you guys are looking for a good place to eat there, a nice Italian joint is in Naples on 5th Ave S in a little plaza next to McMurphy's Irish Pub, can't remember the name of it but best Italian food in Naples.

Years of Experience

AUL...I agree that we do not want the "Diploma Mills" involved. The way around this is a State regulated test for certification and perhaps licensure with the Dept of Business Regulation, much like an insurance agent and hair stylist...they could attend the school of their choice, but would have to pass the state test to become certified...may help weed out the pretenders.

I have not run into any UTA grads yet, that I know of, but I have met a couple from Staking U, several in fact, who seem to have enough on the ball to do this job...

In Naples, for Italian I eat at Campiello, near the Tommy Bahama store and restaurant. I also like Pazzo, but Campiello is my personal favorite. My parents like on Marco Island, so I spend a good deal of time in and around Marco / Naples...

Years of Experience
    retired

opcornsmile:opcornsmile:opcornsmile:

Certifications?!? Obama supporters?!!? Entrepreneurs??!? Username changes!!??

Happy Monday, everybody!
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Banned

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your input GWJ, I am getting all this down on paper.

I searched the forum this morning and can't seem to find the topic of locator certification like you said. Maybe you and Gypsy can point me in the right direction past all the jokes and watercooler talk.
    I have two school names from AUL (the who), I got Marco Island from you(the where), I got a train leaving the station in California and other states heading to Florida (the what), I got Wednesday, August 6th (the when, but not the exact location of the meeting). I just don't have the why figured out yet.

My next question is, why is this meeting not posted in this forum?

How did you come to know about it? Please share

How can our ordinary hard working locators be part of the action?

Can we be invovled in the process without paying fees to an unknown individual of this nucla organization?

If I can't attend and no one sent out invitations to my fellow locators in every locating company across the country, to come eat with the Italians on Marco Island, Then we probably don't want to be on that train.

That train may have left the station, but another one will follow and with all the locators I'm planning to bring along, hopefully it won't derail. So, let that one train go ahead alone without us. There will be more trains.

This is where we can be different. This is why we should start our own locating company. Just more of the same. People doing things behind our backs and never with the interest of the the lady who has to get up at 6 AM and route herself, to drive and walk on dangerous highways and hundreds of lawns exposed to dangers unseen, to protect multi-million dollar infrastructures, to live in a truck just to put food on the table and get by, while the main contractors get paid directly from Verizon. (locators are not even subcontractors) You are just hourly employees getting the crumbs. On top of that, the contractor spends thousands of dollars on tracking equipment to monitor locators like little children. Like hanging a bell on a cow to know where it is.

Based on the little research I have done so far, and by looking at the board of director's photos, I personally don't think that they have our best interest in mind. I bet they are pushing their agendas just to be the first and corner the "locator Training" market.

Now if they succeed, good for them. I don't have anything against "diploma mills" (like you guys call them) The lack of schools concerns me. I was taught that competition is good. When you see alot of schools teaching air conditioning and hair stylist courses in the ghetto, then this is a sign that theres a HUGE market for this, and you will want to be a part of it.

In my opinion if they succeed with "diploma mills" ( or any progress requiring Locators be certified) then the future for locators looks GOOD and PROFITABLE.

The more schools the better. I sure hope these men succeed. Someone has to open the flood gates. You can be making money teaching locators industry, or you can make a ton of money as a certified locator contracted by AT&T directly instead of working for CLS for $15 an hour. Anything is better than just letting these contractors like CLS, run good folks through their in house "diploma mill" and kick you to the street with 60 tickets and exploiting the people's damage prevention skills for $15 an hour, when they make MILLIONS.

I want to start a locating company different from the conventional locating company. I have to do this.

Now, I will come back later and check for answers to my questions in detail.

After reveiwing some feedback from you, I will start immediately working on your new website for National Locator's Association. What will make this different from what "managers of crowds" tell you, is that you WILL be informed, your voices will not be drowned out. It will be a transparent site. It will be free. In the interest of making the locator a bonofied, high paid professional. That's my mission. (Also making money) of course.

Tell me what you think

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

This person... Mack, has the same IP address as Justice for Locators. So, his only purpose is to stir things up. There are other factors that let me know who it is also but I won't get into those.

As I said. I'm not in the mood for childishness.

See ya later Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    Someone changed my nickname.

well lady leather, your wish has been fulfilled, someone changed my username and I couldn't log in to see if anyone had ideas. I don't like the new nickname somebody assigned me "mack". I didn't choose "mack"

I am starting to see a "herd" mentality in this forum, I chose to pick a nick name that stands out. My nickname did not contain foul language or disrespectful words. I feel offended that the nickname I chose, gets changed in an American forum. Censorship online leaves a bad taste.

Feels like I'm in a dictator forum. I can only say and do what the master says.

But lady, I just want to comment on your remark " you would need to understand business a whole lot more than it seems you currently do in order to succeed. I think, if it were me, I would go back to the drawing board and begin again, this time doing my homework"

I think I understand business. Humans trade. We have been trading since existance. We trade money, time and objects for money, time and other objects. Call it business, BA, economics or what ever word our society invented, but trading is what we do. Let's not complicate things here.
    Basically I am looking to trade my valuable short time for more than just $15 an hour. Business is all about trading. So what more do I need to understand besides that? Please be specific. What homework do you refer to? I was hoping to do my homework on a locating forum, not argue about politics and get my name changed and get my hotair balloon shot down to the ground vocally by employees who are comfortable in their cacoons.

I was wondering how we can shift the industry to need us as individual professionals and compensate us accordingly, than to just sit back and let a few of those who "understand business" manage us like a herd of cows to the slaughter house. It's amazing that a large herd of strong, powerful and large cows/bulls are guided to the slaughter house by a 178 pound man and a little dog. I believe it's what you know. So, I ask for information. I don't want to follow the herd into those retirement stalls. I want to go another route. The little dog can bark at me all day, but I will walk the opposite direction. Maybe the 178 pound human will shoot me in the back, but no matter what, I would rather die trying to go the other direction than to die following the herd as usual.
    To your first point, If Steve wants to cahnge your name, it is his right. It is his FORUM. Get over it. Free speech works here to a point. If Steve does not like what you say he deletes it. Again, Get over it. If you want to talk politics, choose a different thread or make your own thread or start your own forum. Then you can have all the free speech you want!!

Now if you want to trade money or other financial instruments have at it. But knowing how you see things you will probably lose every dime you have within the first week. Or a couple of margin calls within the first day!
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Figured that after seeing Forum_Administrator. It's fun to play along sometimes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast