Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I want to start my own locating company

Banned

Default Hello

I read alot of posts today in this forum. Nothing written in here has anything to do with going solo or breaking away from the naysayers. I am researching the internet for information on how to start my own locating company or maybe partner with someone who thinks the same.

Besides alot of complaining and neutral conversations,

Can anyone give me input, ideas, suggestions, information or links relating to starting my own locate company?

I would like to find a partner or partners who love locating but are fed up with the way things are ran from company to company.

What I'm thinking is a little different from the conventional way companies think. For example, getting alot of capital, fleet vehicles, employees, supervisors, insurances, promoting and so on.

I'm thinking that the only way locators can profit from this industry is to become certified, licensed and insured. Then we would be in a data base and hired individually as a professional with our own vehicle and equipment to do a job for so long in such an area. I was looking at my directv installer and I see that they are subcontractors. I see many technicians on a daily basis installing cable tv with their own vehicles and it seems they work alone and from what I understand they are contractors also.
    I love the idea of dealing direct with the client.

How can we become more powerful as individual locators? Like a lawyer or a doctor? Where campanies like AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Sprint, Embarq have no choice but to contact a certified individual directly and contract with them directly to do a job in a specific area for so long.
    We wouldn't have to use translore, q-manager or any other ticket management software for billing because we would get our tickets directly from the one call center by logging in. the call center gets the tickets first, then the locating companies log into the one call server and get like 500 tickets, then the company routes them to the supervisors by area, then the supervisor cherry picks and gives you your fuked up tickets.

This system started by ordinary people just like you and me. It can be redone. Or maybe one of you out there are "like minded" and want to be a contracted professional instead of a low wage employee in this lucrative business with millions and millions of dollars flowing into bank accounts of individuals to protect the country's infrastructure.

Did you know that if Obama wins, we will have more money flowing into our infrastructure, roads, bridges and utilities? If Mcain wins the money goes to the middle east. Locators will be in demand more than ever if Obama wins.

I am getting out of the subject.

But any ideas, brainstorming or meeting up in person are welcome. I want to break away from this enless trap of locating for low wages and taking crap from ordinary folks who are in the same boat with me but are illusioned with the "supervisor" "district manager" title (you are still an employee and subject to termination by Arnold the terminator"
    Last edited by Mack; August 3rd, 2008 at 06:28 PM.

Default Re: I want to start my own locating company

Wow, There is so much I want to comment on but I'm having trouble forming thoughts right now.

I think your heart is in the right place, but I can't get past the Obama/McCain comment. How can someone who wants to start a business be SO misinformed. You writing a post selling yourself to round up partners and/or investors and spew that crap. I think you lost any possible partners with that right there.

Fact is there are companies doing the subcontract thing, just none of the majors.

If you don't mind filing 1099 forms, it's ok. Otherwise it can be "taxing" (wink, wink for the Obama supporters...)

If you want to start a company, more power to you. Start small, it's not easy and good luck. But please do more research on Obama (especially if you want to be a small business owner).
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Banned

I can bet my life you listen to "Rush Limbal", "Hannity" or watch the republican FOX news network. These people devote their energy and time trashing Obama. It's obvious.

You made me laugh...

I think YOU are misinformed my friend.

My only point of bringing up Obama and Mcain was to inform that if a democrat wins this November, I speculate that more money will be spent locally on our infrastructure and this is GOOD for us locators. Verizon wants to roll out fiber in every nook and crack of our country, guess who will be in demand? Locators. Bridges and roads will be repaired and guess who will be needed? Locators

Obama wants to help solve problems here at home, and Mcain wants to solve problems abroad. (In my opinion)
    Last edited by Mack; August 3rd, 2008 at 03:23 PM.

Here is a tip, Locators are in demand no matter who is in office or what party is in office. As long as things are buried Locators need to find them.
    Obama (lol) yes you are right he wants to fix the tax problem at home, by taxing ANYONE who makes 250,000 a year and over, individual AND SMALL BUSINESS by up to 80%.That's not Fox news or Bill O or any other nut with a talk show, that is FACT! Unless of course Obama flip flops on that which by all accounts and previous actions he will. Let's say he doesn't and he gets his way, Who will have to pay? Minority owned companies? Oh I am sure there will be a loop hole there so only 'Whitey' will have to pick that tab up at the end of the tax year so low income or no income individuals and families can continue to enjoy the government backed programs that the rest of us can't qualify for obvious reasons.
    Personally if Obama wins I'm transfering ownership of my company to my wife, Female owned, Minority. Qualified for all kinds of help. Loans, Grants, tax breaks. My money that I earn through my hard work and 18 hour days is staying with the people who earned it.
    Other than that I think it is you who are misinformed and should take a real hard look at policies that WILL afffect you as a business owner. Start by looking at Illinois and Chicago to see how great Obama is as a leader. See how programs and bills he voted for in his state are working. Chicago sucks on a whole from a tax standpoint. If that's what we have to look forward to then we have serious problems ahead of us.

Years of Experience

This is exactly why there is a separtate topic for Politics. I wouldn't even think about talking politics with my buddy let alone on a forum. Unless the topic is all politics.

Hopefully Steve will change your username for you. That is just downright wierd seeing a newbie with the name Forum Administrator.

But anyway good luck on your endeavors of starting your own company. Sorry I can't help on that topic, I've never owned a company.

I also would like to see Steve take care of the user name you have chosen. Doesn't quite seem to give credit where it is actually due! Also, you would need to understand business a whole lot more than it seems you currently do in order to succeed. I think, if it were me, I would go back to the drawing board and begin again, this time doing my homework, before I invested any money.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Name changed...

the thread started out to be an interesting and thought promoting topic but quickly spiraled into a controversial topic. I can only wonder if that was the intent the whole time.

Thanks Steve. You're probably right. End of discussion! I wouldn't waste my time anyway!
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLeatherneck View Post
    I also would like to see Steve take care of the user name you have chosen. Doesn't quite seem to give credit where it is actually due! Also, you would need to understand business a whole lot more than it seems you currently do in order to succeed. I think, if it were me, I would go back to the drawing board and begin again, this time doing my homework, before I invested any money.

Someone changed my nickname.

well lady leather, your wish has been fulfilled, someone changed my username and I couldn't log in to see if anyone had ideas. I don't like the new nickname somebody assigned me "mack". I didn't choose "mack"

I am starting to see a "herd" mentality in this forum, I chose to pick a nick name that stands out. My nickname did not contain foul language or disrespectful words. I feel offended that the nickname I chose, gets changed in an American forum. Censorship online leaves a bad taste.

Feels like I'm in a dictator forum. I can only say and do what the master says.

But lady, I just want to comment on your remark " you would need to understand business a whole lot more than it seems you currently do in order to succeed. I think, if it were me, I would go back to the drawing board and begin again, this time doing my homework"

I think I understand business. Humans trade. We have been trading since existance. We trade money, time and objects for money, time and other objects. Call it business, BA, economics or what ever word our society invented, but trading is what we do. Let's not complicate things here.
    Basically I am looking to trade my valuable short time for more than just $15 an hour. Business is all about trading. So what more do I need to understand besides that? Please be specific. What homework do you refer to? I was hoping to do my homework on a locating forum, not argue about politics and get my name changed and get my hotair balloon shot down to the ground vocally by employees who are comfortable in their cacoons.

I was wondering how we can shift the industry to need us as individual professionals and compensate us accordingly, than to just sit back and let a few of those who "understand business" manage us like a herd of cows to the slaughter house. It's amazing that a large herd of strong, powerful and large cows/bulls are guided to the slaughter house by a 178 pound man and a little dog. I believe it's what you know. So, I ask for information. I don't want to follow the herd into those retirement stalls. I want to go another route. The little dog can bark at me all day, but I will walk the opposite direction. Maybe the 178 pound human will shoot me in the back, but no matter what, I would rather die trying to go the other direction than to die following the herd as usual.

Uh oh! I smell something/someone here -the spelling has been cleaned up but the attitude is showing through. Someone help me out here- I have a former members name right on the end of my tongue ----?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Did you really think there is a forum in existence that would allow you to call yourself the 'Forum Administrator' when you are not?

I'm sure you will get over it.

Just a little note as well. I'm not really in the mood for your old tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Uh oh! I smell something/someone here -the spelling has been cleaned up but the attitude is showing through. Someone help me out here- I have a former members name right on the end of my tongue ----?
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Steve & Goldenboy,

You guys are right, my first response on this did steer the discussion to politics. I am sorry for that, there is a time & place for that.
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Years of Experience

is anyone wondering why i didn't add nothing to this post??????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Banned

Yes, I'm wondering why. I am also wondering why this guy that took my nick "administrator" says he not in the mood for old tricks. Can someone enlighten me? Is he talking to you or me?

opcornsmile:opcornsmile:opcornsmile:opcornsmile:opcornsmile:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast