Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring process at USIC

Default Hiring process at USIC

Hey guys I'm wondering how long it the total process has taken for some of you. From filling out the application to getting interviewed and hired for the job. Maybe tell me about the steps and some of the questions asked at the interview. I would also like to know what job experience you've had before you first started locating. Thanks in advance, i'm really interested in this stuff.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hiring process at USIC

Adam, welcome! As for how long the hiring process takes, could be a month. All depends on the next training class to form. Here is the most important question you'll be asked, Are you breathing??? and are you ready to sell your soul to the devil???
    Just kidding! Locators come from all sorts of different back grounds and careers. I used to be a Xerox technician. If you like working out doors in all kinds of weather, and welcome a challenge, you might like locating. It's not for everyone, it can be stressful, but some take to it easily. Good luck...

Saftey saftey saftey they preach it along with longevity you want a job you can stick with if you lead with this you will most likley be hired along with breathing that would help lol good luck the process took me about a month and half total

It will probably help if you buy your own lube and bend over when you walk in the door.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

I worked in manufacturing before becoming a locator. I was also in the U.S. Navy as a Fire Control Technician. I worked on radar systems. AN/SPG 55B on the U.S.S. Long Beach.

The questions should be general howdy doody questions you hear at any interview. They will also ask if you are able to work overtime and work in any and all weather. They want self starters and people who don't need to be monitored even though you will probably be monitored every minute you are on the clock. Other things they look for are organization.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; March 13th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Tie your boots up every morning. No matter what. Go out there and do your best no matter what the pressure is and you will do fine. Almost like any other job except peoples lives are in your hands. That's my two cents.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Marines, as an electrical equipment repair, close to 15 years of mechanical and electrical assembly, self employed delivering flowers and packages. My time was before that big locating company farmed out their interview process. It was about 2 weeks, but at that time they had just picked up a big contract and needed warm bodies in the field

The hiring process with USIC sucks! Plain and simple. Everything is handled by a separate employment firm that makes the applicant go through all sorts of tests, including a couple of dozen are you on drugs questions and a computer literacy evaluation. Then, you check your "account" to find out that "Candidate is not considered". There is NO number to call and when you send an email to find out why they did not consider an expierenced locator, the email gets bounced back as undeliverable. More and more companies are using outside services to hire. I personally think that when things are handled in this manner, they are not going to ever see quality employees coming on board, just a bunch of people that meet their " zeros and ones" for the computer algorithms.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Welcome to the board.

I worked in manufacturing before becoming a locator. I was also in the U.S. Navy as a Fire Control Technician. I worked on radar systems. AN/SPG 55B on the U.S.S. Long Beach.
    My boat (eeehhhmm oops ship) was bigger than yours. USS Inchon (LPH-12) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I ran into a guy on a sewer crew that had been in desert storm years later and knew of my ship.

Said it was nick named the inch worm it was so slow.

You know your getting old when you find out your ship was sunk...

And would somebody buy my locators so's i dont have to look back, I m running out of time on the bay...

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I think I remember the Inchon. I also went to Inchon korea not that that has anything to do with it. I may have actually stayed on it in San Diego at one time. I was in port for some class or something while my ship was out for a week or so. I stayed on an LPH in the Marine berthing. No Marines on board at the time. Lucky for them.

BTW... my ship was over 120 feet longer than yours.

Post your locators in the For Sale forum. DUH!
    Last edited by TheCableVine; March 15th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I was in Pohang, Korea back when they had team spirit operations. LPH those were the ones that rolled back and forth a lot?

Yeah the inchon gave me a little queezy feeling at first but not as bad as others. I would mess with the guys that really felt sea sick.

When doing the wiki thing I discovered I rate the same awards the ship has for the Beirut peacekeeping campaign. I dug out some of my photos last night to show my dad a picture of the Marine Barracks that was blown up after our unit (24mau) was relieved a few months earlier. I lined it up with a photo online of the Barracks while it was still intact. Glad I stayed ahead of that tragedy.

About the locators - I posted and sold some carpentry tools from 20+ years ago that just sold - makita crap good stuff that I needed to dump as many things around the folks house are decaying from sitting idle. Plus when I hit the road again i needed to minimize from their house since the days here at their age are numbered.Thats why I just threw the locators on also. I also only use paypal protection on all transactions-not saying the vine platform is not. Just already know the ebay routine-sorta.

Thanks for the note though.

I too am very interested in the hiring process at USIC, I've worked in telephone and cable for the last 20 some years, and want a change, I know it sounds insane, but USIC is actually something I'm very interested in, I just applied, and haven't got anything back yet email or phone call wise, but if they actually were going to call or email, how long of a wait am I in for?

Also, I'm in the Kansas City, Mo area, if any of you are from here, and can get a referral for pushing me in the right direction, I'd gladly give em your name if/when they call me.

Thanks.

Years of Experience
    30+

Wing is from that neck of the woods. Give him a PM and check with him. He has been busy as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Wing is from that neck of the woods. Give him a PM and check with him. He has been busy as of late.
    Thank you sir, I'll PM him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast