Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing allot of changes in IL

Banned

Default Hearing allot of changes in IL

I am hearing allot from Consolidated locators in IL Which are really uhappy with upper managment. Workers maybe looking to Union

I am also hearing that ELM is leaving IL. Do to losing money. On damages and lowball contracts.

Verizon is No longer looking to subcontract locating in IL. Bids were to high.

Ameren is playing games with contracts bids hoping the bids come in lower.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hearing allot of changes in IL

Well time to just fold the state and move on thats what we did in Virginia

If I had a nickel for every rumor I heard about losing/dumping contracts I be a billionaire.

Even with the ones just in Illinois I'd be a millionaire.
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Kell, we heard that too a couple years ago. Let's see..... Still staking 3 and 4 ways, still have the contracts for 2 more years...... Supposedly sending locators to Ill to help out.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frostypeters View Post
    If I had a nickel for every rumor I heard about losing/dumping contracts I be a billionaire.

Even with the ones just in Illinois I'd be a millionaire.

There are always lots of chicken littles or nay saying going on around contract bids.

They can be long complicated negotiations, or, at times a mere handshake and signing on the dotted line. Depends on prevailing circumstances.

I have been through a number of these changes with their on going rumors and in the end MOST often, things have worked out not too bad.

My thought: Don't believe anything you hear until you see in in writing first and try your best to carry on until things are known with certainty.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

A nickle for every rumor? Yeah, a LOT of us would have some big bucks 'round here!

The only thing that's for sure in Illinois is this:

When we start doing four way locates, things are going to get wild!! And those of us who like to do quality work are going to be working LONG hours!

Years of Experience

It takes a long time to get used to four way locating. Here in SE Wisconsin we've been doing four way locating for about 4 years and it is still frustrating. When we only did phone and tv it wasn't a big deal if you had to really pick apart a locate and spend alot of time on something. Now with trying to do four ways in a very understaffed area you don't really have the time you need to pick apart a difficult locate.Like a fellow viner's user name sprayandpray.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    A nickle for every rumor? Yeah, a LOT of us would have some big bucks 'round here!

The only thing that's for sure in Illinois is this:

When we start doing four way locates, things are going to get wild!! And those of us who like to do quality work are going to be working LONG hours!
    I always believed that "4 way" for example meant you located 4 separate utilities (ie: Phone, power, gas or CATV for example)

However, I started wondering if it could also mean say locating for 2 different phone companies, 2 separate gas companies, etc.

Can you clarify this for me shovelhead?

ThanX

Years of Experience

To me four way is locating telephone,tv,gas, and electric. Here we do have multiple phone companies and a ton of different fiber contracts but on your typical residential lot we locate all four major utilities. If your on a main road or freeway we can have 7 or more different companies to locate for because of all the fiber contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    It takes a long time to get used to four way locating. Here in SE Wisconsin we've been doing four way locating for about 4 years and it is still frustrating. When we only did phone and tv it wasn't a big deal if you had to really pick apart a locate and spend alot of time on something. Now with trying to do four ways in a very understaffed area you don't really have the time you need to pick apart a difficult locate.Like a fellow viner's user name sprayandpray.
    And that worries me.....a lot. We don't always have time to do a quality locate here either. And this is with three way locating. So when a damage occurs, there's you, your bosses, and the bus.

We all know the rest.....

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    I always believed that "4 way" for example meant you located 4 separate utilities (ie: Phone, power, gas or CATV for example)

However, I started wondering if it could also mean say locating for 2 different phone companies, 2 separate gas companies, etc.

Can you clarify this for me shovelhead?

ThanX
    Sure. Right now we have Nicor gas, Com Ed electric, and Comcast cable. We are going to add AT&T distribution in a few weeks (days?)

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Sure. Right now we have Nicor gas, Com Ed electric, and Comcast cable. We are going to add AT&T distribution in a few weeks (days?)

Perfect. Thanks for the response.

We do 6 way locates here and yes it gets pretty hairy some days! For further clairification this is what I locate:

Gas: transmission (HP lines) Distribution mains and services
    Telephone: Fiber, ducts, mains and services
    Power: Primary, fiber optic power, secondary, street lights, services.
    We do NOT locate 72KV or 240 KV power.

Traffic: (Red,yellow & green lights) traffic cameras, flashing warning lights,etc.

Water: Mains on public property only. Water C.C.'s only.

Drainage: Sanitary and Storm mains. Force mains.

Other than that, not much!

The local cable company is NOT a member of 1 call here and have their own locators.

There is one intersection I was doing regularily last year that contains everything above except Fiber optic power cables.

As you can imagine, the drawings get pretty darned congested sometimes.

Seems that upper management is changing there in the next few days.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    Seems that upper management is changing there in the next few days.
    There as in where? Illinois?
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience
    retired

Officially, starting tomorrow, SM&P IL is to locate AT&T at every emergency callout. The CLS guys have all been pulled out of the field for their electric / CATV / gas training (good luck passing the Nicor test!) and a few worthy souls from out of state have come out to help with the ticket load. I met an SM&P sup from Texas today in my area, and it was nice to visit with someone who does multiple companies for each util (i.e. 4 electric cos, 2 phone cos etc). I explained to him that in Northern IL it is the big 4, that's it. A couple cities with big enough populations have their own electric co-ops obviously, and then there's where Ameren / GTE scrounge up some of the business down in like, Livingston county...

It made me realize that up here in our areas it really won't be too bad - despite what you might think, shovelhead. It could be like our Canadian friend mentioned - many many facils to mark in an area. And while the tri-state area of WI-IL-IN is supposedly tough-ass to locate because the phone lines are so congested, I think if you get enough motivated people out there then things will eventually come around.

... And then I woke up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast