Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yahoo

Thread: has usic turned around?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default has usic turned around?

Having run into some usic locators in recent months I have noticed these guys seem more happy with the company.

So has treatment there improved?

Years of Experience

Default Re: has usic turned around?

most of the ones on this end are not locating at&t any longer so most are real happy over here.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    most of the ones on this end are not locating at&t any longer so most are real happy over here.
    I was referring to treatment by their employer.

Years of Experience

LOL , you already know how I will answer that .....
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I was referring to treatment by their employer.
    nope i have worked for them in Iowa since the take over and it is the same thing every year work more , work faster , work with less , work without safety gear .work with broke and out of calibration locate equipment . I am on the way out. They preach safety ! But FAIL to provide .

Years of Experience

The guys here are loving life, Real big raises. Guys are making 18+ an hour with 2 years experience. Their workload is still high but they bring in help. They are hiring like crazy, actually the company i work at had went from being one of the highest payed to no being lowest......

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Having run into some usic locators in recent months I have noticed these guys seem more happy with the company.

So has treatment there improved?
    I'm very new, but our money to start is just what I needed and every manager and locator I have met has been happy right where they are. At my interview I asked the guy about all the gripes I read about on line and he addressed them all and explained how they fixed them. The biggest was all the OT, on call and weekends. I haven't had any reason to think they are as bad as they may have been in the past if they were at all. Just a new guys two cents.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow101 View Post
    I'm very new, but our money to start is just what I needed and every manager and locator I have met has been happy right where they are. At my interview I asked the guy about all the gripes I read about on line and he addressed them all and explained how they fixed them. The biggest was all the OT, on call and weekends. I haven't had any reason to think they are as bad as they may have been in the past if they were at all. Just a new guys two cents.
    Greetings Madcow! I am a fellow USICer who welcomes you to the world of locating utilities! I welcome your membership to the CableVine forum! I need to be careful on my comments here, because those who control my destiny monitor this forum and know my identity on the'Vine.

By observing the habits of middle and upper management, the company appears to be positioning itself for yet another buyout. That don't mean shit for us "worker bees," but it means a whole lot to the non-producers that enjoy the honey produced by the "worker bees."

I am, more or less, content with my career with USIC. My only concern, no matter who owns this company, the owner's attitude will never change towards the senior locators: 'The longer the tenure with the company, the less productive the employee.' Not understanding why this is so, the logical answer to management, 'Change them, or CHANGE them!' Instead of paying what the senior locators are worth for their technical knowledge and expertise, the pay for senior locators is slightly higher than that of the noobs.

With well over 100 contracts in hand for the Kansas City district alone, it would be nice if the pay for senior locators was a little better (for all the locators, for that matter)........ just sayin.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Greetings Madcow! I am a fellow USICer who welcomes you to the world of locating utilities! I welcome your membership to the CableVine forum! I need to be careful on my comments here, because those who control my destiny monitor this forum and know my identity on the'Vine.

By observing the habits of middle and upper management, the company appears to be positioning itself for yet another buyout. That don't mean shit for us "worker bees," but it means a whole lot to the non-producers that enjoy the honey produced by the "worker bees."

I am, more or less, content with my career with USIC. My only concern, no matter who owns this company, the owner's attitude will never change towards the senior locators: 'The longer the tenure with the company, the less productive the employee.' Not understanding why this is so, the logical answer to management, 'Change them, or CHANGE them!' Instead of paying what the senior locators are worth for their technical knowledge and expertise, the pay for senior locators is slightly higher than that of the noobs.

With well over 100 contracts in hand for the Kansas City district alone, it would be nice if the pay for senior locators was a little better (for all the locators, for that matter)........ just sayin.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I do not see this a positioning for a buyout. Locate firms are often owned by holding companies with no knowledge of the Industry. For example S&N Locating is owned by Sun Capital Partners which is largely in the food service industry, they own Hickory Farms.

To make USIC stock attractive they would be making their cash flow look better than it is. Much preventive vehicle would be stopped, no new vehicles, anything new would be as cheap as possible, no new equipment, reduction in workforce if not by layoffs then by not keeping up complement when employees leave, reduction in benefits and so on. Then the new owner gets an aged fleet in need of repairs, old equipment in need of replacement, a depleted workforce. In short they paid millions more than the stock was worth and need to but large amounts of money into the firm. What happens is they demand a set amount of money sent to them every month. The management of the locate firm was part of the deception and can say nothing.
    Last edited by ProfessionalLocator; June 12th, 2016 at 10:04 PM.