Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone got a wage increase at CUS in the last two years ?

Default Re: Has anyone got a wage increase at CUS in the last two years ?

I could see a scenario where your company changes you to piece rate, your production goes up, then the company changes back to hourly with the expectation that you maintain the same production rate.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Piece rate will reveal who has been slacking when paid by the hour. When they go on piece rate and there production doubles, you know they have previously been milking the clock. Anyone who does this shouldn't be on piece rate. A matter of fact anyone who does this should be fired on the spot.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

i worked in factories where there was piece rate. I was never part of it. I did notice some people would wired a trigger back on one of the two triggers. The safety set up was that you put th piece in the press and then two triggers, one for each hand to insure you didn't start the stamp press before both hands were clear. The people were so concerned about nanoseconds to get more pieces done. I can see some guys power moding or clearing tickets from the driver's seat or pencil whipping drops and dog fences to make rate. It already happens now where guys cherry pick tickets if they have to have so many done or get so much done before going on a vacation. Even as teamwork has been disappearing in usic, I think it will go even faster with piece work. Who would want to go to an area they are not use too and locating would take longer. How do long locates and project work with piece rates?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by noOT4me View Post
    Piece rate will reveal who has been slacking when paid by the hour. When they go on piece rate and there production doubles, you know they have previously been milking the clock. Anyone who does this shouldn't be on piece rate. A matter of fact anyone who does this should be fired on the spot.
    Good insight noOT - sure would be a quick way to see who wasn't producing under hourly rates. It could also prompt someone who might be doing a decent amount of work under hourly to "fudge" occasionally to pump up their check, and we all know what happens when that is discovered.

My question on piece-rate is what happens when ticket counts go down (like now in a bad economy or during winter months), or when there is bad weather? Does the tech get base pay for days when they can't produce due to no fault of their own, or do they have to burn PTO or vacation time (and if so, at what rate)? Seems like piece-rate involves more of a gamble with employee's income, and gives an unfair advantage to the company (can simply get rid of someone based on lack of production, can short your check because "production" isn't being maintained, can move you around to other territories you may be less familiar with and limit your production, etc.).
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience
    All of them

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    Good insight noOT - sure would be a quick way to see who wasn't producing under hourly rates. It could also prompt someone who might be doing a decent amount of work under hourly to "fudge" occasionally to pump up their check, and we all know what happens when that is discovered.

My question on piece-rate is what happens when ticket counts go down (like now in a bad economy or during winter months), or when there is bad weather? Does the tech get base pay for days when they can't produce due to no fault of their own, or do they have to burn PTO or vacation time (and if so, at what rate)? Seems like piece-rate involves more of a gamble with employee's income, and gives an unfair advantage to the company (can simply get rid of someone based on lack of production, can short your check because "production" isn't being maintained, can move you around to other territories you may be less familiar with and limit your production, etc.).
    Iím not sure of the piece rate policies of other companies, but CUSís seems fair. The rate is established after a period of time in the route and includes all hours paid (vacation, holiday, overtime, etc.) and comes up with an average rate and anticipated production. It also includes all types of tickets worked during that period (after hours, ERís, projects, etc.). Project work is paid at the same percentage and as long as the client agreement is to pay for hourly/project work, the tech still does well. (I would imagine if contracts do not allow for an hourly project rate and the tech has a lot of projects, piece rate might not be a good fit). During the winter/slow months, it affects them the same way it does an hourly tech; they only work the tickets that are available. They can maintain the same pay scale as long as they are able to complete X number tickets in Y number of hours, but will work less hours. Nothing different than an hourly tech that works 8-10 hours a day in the summer and is reduced to 4-6 during slow times. But their base rate will never go below what it was when they entered the program. If someone was making $14 when the entered the program and during the busy season they are able to tip $18-$20, they do not go below the $14 if they have a bad day or a bad round of tickets. If they are unable to work or work very minimal due to weather conditions, itís just like an hourly tech, they get paid for what they accomplish or they take a vacation day. To address a previous post about taking short cuts and getting damages, that is also built into the program. First a higher rate is paid for marked ticket than for a clear ticket. This makes everyone look for a reason to mark rather than the norm of finding a reason NOT to locate something. Secondly, a ďdamage freeĒ bonus is paid for every billed unit for the week, which could add up to several hundred a month. Anyone who has an AF damage loses that bonus and anyone with 3 AF in a 90-day period is removed from the program for 3-months. Iím sure itís not a perfect situation for everyone or in everyoneís eye, but it rewards folks who are able to produce and stay damage free and the company generates more revenue per hour. And as previously noted, it does quickly identify those that may have produced less than they were capable of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12