Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ford Ranger Discontinued.... U.S.I.C. not happy

Default Re: Ford Ranger Discontinued.... U.S.I.C. not happy

Consolidated used to use S-10's. They were ok. They then went to Chevy Aveos which were a huge mistake (duh) and then to Dodge Calibers. The Calibers were ok until the airbag light came on in the entire fleet and the transmissions went out on half of the fleet.
    I think USIC did buy enough Rangers for this year, but after that, they're going to go with the Tacoma. It seemed to work well for them in FL...

One thing is, in the northern climates they should definately get 4 wheel drive for the year-round locators. I've been bitching about this for years....they never listen. It's only roughly $13,000 per state. They spend more than that every year on tows and damages due to slippery conditions.

Just saying....

I'd happily go with a Ford Escape or other similar vehicle. I'm also a fan of the Tacoma. When USIC brought a fleet of them over from the CLS merger, I drove quite a few of them and enjoyed pretty much everything about them over the Ranger. Roomier, more comfortable seats, CD player, plenty of room in the Jobsite camper shells they were using. I'm personally glad to see the Ranger go. As for that poll somewhere in this thread, I'd say B or D. I hate the Dakota. Drove one for a year. I willingly switched to a Tacoma.

I have had 2 Tacoma's, one wasat over 100000 when traded in, and the one I am in right now is at 65000. As long as it runs, and I don't break down, I am happy with it. As to the camper addition, I hate it. I stand over 6 ft, and have to crunch myself to get into that tiny door on the side. I don't like working out of the rear of the truck, half the time the camper is still in the way. I would rather have the flat topped back I had a few years ago.

Suzuki Kazashi - AWD for winter, all your stuff fits in the trunk, line in on the stereo, cruise control when running to emergencies, and gas mileage is great.
    HHR - they just suck
    A Jeep wrangler would also rate well with me as long as it was not a 4cyl.
    The Ranger/Colorodo/whetever 2wd pick-up is great for those who must haul around a bunch of stuff, but gas is too expensive to wast on the guzzlers.

HHR is no longer made. The ranger and the colorado are no longer made. The KIA Soul is the new one out there. About an inch more clearance than the HHR. Windows so you can see. It has great stereo and gets like 36 MPG. I am sure it is going to suck in the snow. the wrangler is too expensive and not enough gas mileage. the patriot has basic model around 16K. Two wheel drive with a 4 cylinder and gets about 21 MPG. That Suzuki Kazashi is a car and like 21K. If you want an AWD and pay 21K might as well go with Suzuki Forester or Outback.

Also heard the Dakota is being discontinued.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

I would like to see the Silverado as the next locate vehicle for USIC. Smaller than the F150, for the little guy, yet durable. If they could add 4x4 for everyone, not just certain states then I would be happy.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    I would like to see the Silverado as the next locate vehicle for USIC. Smaller than the F150, for the little guy, yet durable. If they could add 4x4 for everyone, not just certain states then I would be happy.
    You can expect to see Toyota and Nissan providing the new fleets. After all, the Rangers and Colorados were the size they wanted, not larger trucks.

They do not want larger trucker with lower gas mileage. But of great importance is they do not want larger trucks that are more awkward to maneuver in tight locations. They get enough body damage on the smaller trucks, bigger trucks are just a bigger problem.

That is all true. However, the Nissan isnt a logical choice due to the lack of dealers around. It will be either the tacoma or the F150, I'm holding out some hope for the Silverado though. I've had all 3 as a tech and my '94 Chevy was the most comfortable by far.

Warranties and dealerships should be considered for all AREAS. I'm mostly rural, small metropolis's and not many choices even for oil changes. With depending on our vehicles as much as our equiment accessibility is a must. We all don't live in corporate USA. At least buy American. C,D or F will work.

Quote Originally Posted by haze View Post
    Warranties and dealerships should be considered for all AREAS. I'm mostly rural, small metropolis's and not many choices even for oil changes. With depending on our vehicles as much as our equiment accessibility is a must. We all don't live in corporate USA. At least buy American. C,D or F will work.
    USIC is owned by Canadians - Does Bombardier make anything we could use?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123