Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Ranger Discontinued.... U.S.I.C. not happy

Post Ford Ranger Discontinued.... U.S.I.C. not happy

Ford has stopped production of the small pickup truck. U.S.I.C is currently looking for alternatives....

Which would you choose?

A. Dodge Dakota

B. Toyota Tacoma

C. Ford F-150

D. Other - specify (small car, truck, s.u.v., van, hybrid)

Default Re: Ford Ranger Discontinued.... U.S.I.C. not happy

F-150's are reliable. Used them on construction sites and they can take many miles and a beating. Dakotas are nice, a bit more economical for a business. Tacomas are nice as well. Anything with a 6 cyl engine would be nice.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

For general locating the Ford F-150 is too large. Too difficult to turn around in the many tight spaces / area we go into. But a big thing is that the sides of the bed are so tall that reaching over to get equipment is difficult and for a shorter person impossible.

I find the Dodge Dakota about perfect for this job. We can still reach over the sides to get our equipment out. Forget about a tool box, for general locating that is a waste that leaves most of the cargo area unprotected. Put on a tonnoe cover that hings up from the sides to the middle of the bed. With this you can open one side in rain and not expose the other side to rain. Since it hinges up from the center it partially shelters the open side. I have used this in a Dakota and can readily work in a light rain without soaking my equipment, even a water vulnerable 810 receiver. If you need to carry large items like pumps this may not work for you. Many locators object to the center hinged tonnoe cover but only because personal use hauling of large items (refrigerator, washing machines, etc.) is not possible. Plus the cover keeps the entire cargo of paint in their cardboard boxes dry. In Winter you do not have to dig out frozen supplies and equipment from under a foot of snow and ice.

One other thing needed for the Dakota, or any pickup, that is in a region where Winter is cold is the extended cab with space behind the seats. Here paint can be stored and not freeze. Also locate equipment can be kept and the cold will not kill the batteries.

Much my comments for the Dakota applies to any of the smaller trucks like the Chevy Colorado, Nissan Frontier, etc.

The Chevy Colorado is a comparable replacement for the Ranger but I find the Colorado four cylinder engine to be like that of the S-10 it replaced, inadequate. While better than the S-10 it still lacks power for getting into heavy traffic safely. I found the Ford Ranger 4 cylinder superior.

For the foreman and lead locators who train new locators a crew cab is needed. This having two people in two vehicles is more than a waste of gas and vehicle cost, it is extremely inefficient training. Having the trainee in that cab with the trainer is extra training time. I say a crew cab becasue now we all use laptops and this does not give enough room in a small truck, it takes a crew cab.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Good post PL. The only thing I could add would be that the Tacoma really sux in the snow. Caps are a hassle when you have to crawl over all your equipment to get that special tool or the last can of paint. The Tonnoe covers are great. Easier to organize, dry, and you have a clear rear view so it makes reversing less of a hazard. You just have to shovel them off when in the winter or the lids won't pop up. No big deal. I'd pick an extended or club cab Dakota with a Tonnoe cover.
    I didn't know the Ranger was going away. They're not replacing it with anything similar?

Years of Experience
    16 yrs

I choose D.This is about the same price as the Rangers, same 4 cyl. and supplies are inside and able to be kept warm in the winter, access from both side and rear have seen a few contractors using these
    2012 Ford Transit Connect | Upgrade Your Business Van or Wagon to Transit Connect | Ford.com

Years of Experience
    17 years

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I ran a Tacoma for years.... put 200,000 of the 380,000miles on it. She did suck in the snow and mud, but I blame the boss for the type of tires it had on her.

I definately agree it should be an extended cab. I was also looking at this... http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Dia...ndback_270.jpg
    for the bed cover. Its supposed to be water tight.

The trainsit sounds good, but I hate riding around in the same compartment as some of the equipment. I had a FO camera in the rig and it has a natural musty smell about it, and when I was in the mini-van it, the smell would get into my clothes.

Mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mr810 View Post
    I choose D.This is about the same price as the Rangers, same 4 cyl. and supplies are inside and able to be kept warm in the winter, access from both side and rear have seen a few contractors using these
    2012 Ford Transit Connect | Upgrade Your Business Van or Wagon to Transit Connect | Ford.com
    I also see the Transit as having potential for a locate vehicle. There are a few questions I have about it.

About 12 to 18 months ago I read a review and the acceleration in a test drive, no cargo, was awful. Getting this thing to pull into heavy traffic may be a real problem. Need to check and see if engine upgrades were made.

Tire size and ground clearance. The trucks have the ground clearance we need.
    If the Transit does not have it then it will get torn up the same as the compact cars now being used. Tire size is a big factor going over obstacles like curbs. The larger tire size distributes more of the force off the body and suspension. The compact cars tend to get bent frames and suspension parts from repeated stress.

This is front wheel drive. A fleet manager will tell you the long term maintenance costs are higher. More complex parts and higher labor costs.

This has promise but I would try one or two out before outfitting a fleet with them.
    Last edited by ProfessionalLocator; February 14th, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added info

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I ran a Tacoma for years.... put 200,000 of the 380,000miles on it. She did suck in the snow and mud, but I blame the boss for the type of tires it had on her.

I definately agree it should be an extended cab. I was also looking at this... http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Dia...ndback_270.jpg
    for the bed cover. Its supposed to be water tight.

The trainsit sounds good, but I hate riding around in the same compartment as some of the equipment. I had a FO camera in the rig and it has a natural musty smell about it, and when I was in the mini-van it, the smell would get into my clothes.

Mke
    Something I forgot to add into the needs for a locate truck.

While the costs of a four wheel drive fleet is prohibitive and in most cases wasteful there is an affordable in between measure. I know that about 10 years ago having your Dakota outfitted with an optional limited slip differential cost $180. That would help greatly in the conditions you mentioned and would likely reduce the number of times towing out of mud and such.

Years of Experience

Another plus for four wheel drive is out here in the rural areas there are a lot of big gas lines that go across fields. There is one big gas line in particular that runs through a field. This field is on a 4 mile section. Several different farmers own parts across this section. It takes a long frikkin time to walk out to the middle of this section to locate this line. I had to do it about 8 different times last season for tile work. Some for the original locate and some for the resulting standby. If I could have drove out in this field it would have saved several hours of work.

Years of Experience

After I wrote that I thought about a couple different Centurylink fibers that run across fields.

Must have an extended cab. Not enough room in the regular cab

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

CLS had the toyota but had them with 4 cylinders, very under powered. all the ford rangers I have had always came with 6 cylinders. Our company uses chevy colorado with 6 cylinders and seem okay to me. We also use the HHR which also is no longer manufactured. I agree the extended cabs are the way to go. If you are tall these trucks are tough on you. luckily I am not. the 4 wheel drive is not practical. I never seem to see outback or frontiers in the paper for sale. they are a small suv. they also are AWD. i wonder if they might be a good choice?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Transit connects are good in city but for rural areas forget it. No clearance at all. The front end is all plastic and as soon as you bottom out in the front the while thing pushes in the fan and that's all she wrote. I know I had one for a year.9 times in the shop. I locate a lot of oilfield and they suck for any off road. The braking system is not heavy duty enough either. This is a focus chasis with a van body that's just to heavy. Replaced the brakes at 8000 and 19000 miles. Everyone else in group had same brake problems.
    Work smarter not harder!!!

Years of Experience

I drove around a Toyota Tacoma for a long time. Regular cab, 4cyl 2wd. I would take it back any day over the extended cab ranger I have now. In my opinion, the Toyota is more comfortable. It also has a CD player, and is a lot faster.

I hardly notice the benefits of the Ranger's extended cab anyhow, because mine has no rear access doors and the seats barely move up.The engine response and turning radius suffer because the Ranger is heavier and has a longer wheelbase. Hard to turn around in some driveways without tearing up the yard.

I had a chance to drive around a caliber for a day or so, and I liked it. It was beat to hell with 200,000 miles, but had an aux input on the head unit and was really comfortably designed. Drink coolers in the glove box. I'm pretty tall, and had no issues with space. I would like to drive one of these around as a locate vehicle.

And paintitnow, You are right. I think a base level Subaru station wagon would go anywhere we would need it to and have ample space for our equipment. An Outback or Forester would be pretty sweet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast