Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELM locators

Banned

Default ELM locators

In Illinois ELM locators are droping like flies to CUS and USIC. While ELM hires new one at $9.50 a hr.
    Last edited by Locatingart; March 9th, 2010 at 03:39 PM.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: ELM locators

Quote Originally Posted by Locatingart View Post
    In Illinois ELM locators are droping like flies to CUS and USIC. While ELM hires new one at $9.50 a hr.
    In about the last thirty days ELM has advertised for locator hires in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, South Dakota and North Dakota.

It is normal this time of year to hire new locators to have them trained by the beginning of Summer. Still again there is that 10% pay cut they gave their locators and the question if this is a big influence.

One firm I worked at made the effort to get ride of all their experienced locators and hire on trainees at almost half the hourly wage. I worked there and saw the writing on the wall and left. About five years later they were recruiting with a higher pay scale.
    In addition one of their bosses told me they had instigated an "employee retention plan". So the idea of getting rid of experienced locators and replacing them with warm bodies backfired. Still there are firms out there that will use this method thinking it will improve their firm. The cost in damages and the threat to contract renewal is far higher than keeping experienced locators.

Another firm I worked at did a steady reduction of pay and benefits, every few months something changed resulting in lower pay. Now they have twice the number of locators to do the same job.

If you purchase cheap equipment and do not pay to maintain it then your initial savings are quickly eaten up and surpassed with higher costs.

If you hire cheap labor and do not develop it and pay to keep them from looking for work elsewhere then you initial savings are quickly eaten up and surpassed with higher costs.

Years of Experience

people work in our industry for $9.50/hr? LOL what a joke i wont even work in this industry for $15/hr if they ever try to cut my pay all hell breaks lose
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    people work in our industry for $9.50/hr? LOL what a joke i wont even work in this industry for $15/hr if they ever try to cut my pay all hell breaks lose
    ELM is advertising a start wage of $9.00 an hour but depending on experience up to $15.00 an hour.

Years of Experience

wow, i guess they need a major damage to realize how valueable you guys are.. you can make more then $9/hr working a burger king lol... which means they will not care about the job... i expect a few high profile damages on that company
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Unhappy Re: ELM locators

They have some really good people working for them ,it is sad to watch ,I have worked with alot of them in several states ,there one day and them gone the next time I am in the area ,seems to be the way of any big locating company these days ,guess they can afford the high insurance from the damages that will happen ,no doubt about it .

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by swagman View Post
    They have some really good people working for them ,it is sad to watch ,I have worked with alot of them in several states ,there one day and them gone the next time I am in the area ,seems to be the way of any big locating company these days ,guess they can afford the high insurance from the damages that will happen ,no doubt about it .
    Insurance is a hard line budget item. They put it into the budget and feel and think they are in control of the situation.

The value of a good locator is not a line item in the budget, when they lose that asset nothing appears on the budget printout as a loss.

When they lose these good locators and get left with the dregs damages go up, falsified work reports (showing as completed work never done) go up and productivity goes down. When this happens those that drove off the good locators blame the remaining locators.

It just never occurs to them that a negative result from their decisions are their fault. After all, they were made the bosses becasue they were the best and if they are the best their decisions cannot be wrong.

It just never occurs to them that a negative result from their decisions are their fault.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

PL, you familiar with the "peter principal"? it will explain a bit.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    PL, you familiar with the "peter principal"? it will explain a bit.

mke
    Oh yes, all too familiar.
    An employee is advanced to their level of incompetence.

The AARP version of the peter principal is employees are advanced to their level of incontinence!

Years of Experience

that is a good one dude!!!! LOL!!!!! I'm wondering now at this point ....will a company like ELM survive using these principles???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    that is a good one dude!!!! LOL!!!!! I'm wondering now at this point ....will a company like ELM survive using these principles???
    If a company is big enough inertia keeps them in some kind of motion. If you look at the history fo the some of these locate firms you see a cycle of owners. When things get too bad they sell out before a complete crash.

Theoretically things would get better with the new owners. The major problem is the purchased firm still has the same management staff. While the CEO and some VPs are changed all the shop managers and foremen are the same. I know of one firm that has had four different owners / majority stockholders since I first came across them over 13 years ago. This firm still has the same shop managers and foremen. All the old ways of doing things get carried over and are repeated. It takes a concentrated effort to come in and clean house. To clean house in the locate industry the 'cleaner' cannot just be an experienced business person but they also need be very familiar with locating operations. This effort and expertise just does not seem to happen.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locatingart View Post
    Right now ELM has been advertising hiring all across the county. Have they picked up a bunch of contracts or have they lost their best locators?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Oh yes, all too familiar.
    An employee is advanced to their level of incompetence.

The AARP version of the peter principal is employees are advanced to their level of incontinence!
    Hey! Watch it now! I resemble that remark!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Just wanted to revive this old thread and say that I'm a present ELM employee, and have been since 2006 ( with a 5 month or so break pursuing greener pastures, which turned out to be not so green after all and came back to ELM.) I really don't have much good to say about the company, so be warned, but you can ask me questions about it and I'll try to answer them as diplomatically as possible.

BTW, if anyone has info on how to contact a USIC office in the 'little finger' part of Michigan, or maybe I should say Traverse City, I would appreciate it. I plan on moving there soon and I guess a locating job, at least at the start, would be best. I do take a lot of pride in my job, and really like this type of work.......if it wasn't for the knuckleheads in management who only look at numbers and not quality, and bend to the wills of people who have no clue of what locating really is.

AZ, just go to USIC's web site and fill out the app on-line and wait. They are probably shut down until the Spring thaw.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast