Thread: Does anyone locate Nex Gen or Crown Castle?

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Does anyone locate Nex Gen or Crown Castle?

Does anyone locate Nex Gen or Crown Castle? This was put in last year in the Tampa area and has small plant.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Does anyone locate Nex Gen or Crown Castle?

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Does anyone locate Nex Gen or Crown Castle? This was put in last year in the Tampa area and has small plant.
    At a quick look Crown Castle deals in cell tower land lease or roof top transmitter locations. They may not have any cable in the ground or like you said little "small" plant in the ground. If so an operation that small could use it's own site techs to also mark cable.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    At a quick look Crown Castle deals in cell tower land lease or roof top transmitter locations. They may not have any cable in the ground or like you said little "small" plant in the ground. If so an operation that small could use it's own site techs to also mark cable.
    Okay, Crown Castle also owns towers and leases space on their towers, something like 9,000 location including rooftops nationwide, to the wireless companies. Sounds like the locates would be on the tenant's cables going to the site. I doubt Crown has need of a contract locate firm.

Years of Experience
    30+

Pl
    This is in only several markets. We locate 2 markets on the west coast but no one is marking it here in town. Real weird. Antenna sits on top of 60' pole, blends in with pole, and uses VZ lines. the plant that goes from antenna to VZ is Nex Gen.

I will stop by one and post pictures.

Years of Experience
    30+

The attached is the antenna power and the HH going to VZ.

dscn1615.jpgdscn1616.jpgdscn1617.jpgdscn1618.jpgdscn1619.jpgdscn1620.jpgdscn1621.jpgdscn1622.jpg

looks like fiber to d.a.s. to me. crown castle bought next g networks a couple years ago. next g has a ton of these on buildings and intersections in the city of chicago. short short runs could be traffic cam fibers here??? this was before crown castle bought them though. i do not know who locates it here. as far as actual crown castle cell towers go; in Il they are lit with windstream 48 count fibers replacing all the old copper drops and such that use to go to the towers. in barrington hills and northbrook il i have seen aerial fiber coming to/ going from american tower(verizon) that was the 1st time i saw a cell tower company provide their own fiber for the towers. i thought it was odd. must have been from a tower to d.a.s. or something. but in your pictures you have posted we do not see much of that in Il

Years of Experience

The unit on the pole looks like what they just put in my area to remote read gas meters. The section from Verizon to the pole is located by the gas company.

Years of Experience

When I was with USIC 2 yrs. ago when that stuff got put in the ground... they told us we were gonna have to locate it. They might still locate it? I remember the project though, it is for Metro PCS to boost their speeds to 4G in the Tampa area, since they were advertising 4G in this area but not providing it at the time.

Years of Experience

Crown Castle is really popular cell site install/leasing company. I know they have sites that they manage for customers as part of their services they offer (24/7 NOC Center). Also, t-mobile has like ~30K towers and AT&T has about ~50K (last I remember), so if Crown has 9K that's not bad coverage at all

A while back Crown did have a position for an in house locator up in the northeast by their main office.

That site looks like ones that Clearwire uses for their WiMAX / 4g (which is terrible btw). They'd put them all over light poles and such because the signal doesn't reach real far so you need many of them. Clearwire got upset at one engineering company cause they wouldn't approve the installs, saying the equip. was to heavy for the poles. So, Clearwire switched companies to one who would approve them...fun right.

That's a 360 degree (Omnidirectional) Antenna on top and the gray box is tower equipment in a box. Crown definitely installed the thing. I assume either Crown should be locating the line or maybe they have no office nearby so whoever uses the site for their coverage might handle the physical onsite maintenance and they should be locating the line...

AT&T back in the day bought sites that where using Verizon fibers, so they started switching them to their own AT&T lines. We marked the Verizon up to the tower equipment and that's where 'private' side begins. Since the handhole that leaves away from the grey cabinet says NextG there seems to be a Crown Castle / NextG fiber network around that area and they're not just leasing lines from another company. Guess once something gets cut and the alarms go off someone will show up and you'll see who runs it.

Years of Experience
    30+

When they installed them I had to mark the FPL Fibernet. In the 2 years they have not had their facilities marked once. Even USIC has never marked the secondary power once with all the construction going on on this road.

Stake Center locate's 2 markets out west as a test.

The reason this has come up, I have had 2 different Utility Coordinators contact me about who to contact to get info for some major projects that are moving along and the plans are at 90%.

They have contacted Sunshine811 and they have NO contact info on file and have no one listed for locating but they are on the design ticket.

Have have since talked to their Utility Coordinator out wast and was able to direct the UC's to the right person. They are looking into a national contract to locate thier minimal plant.

Years of Experience

I've located tons of Crown Castle towers. These guys are constantly expanding their compounds and adding telecom lines/shelters, but I have yet to see any marks inside the fence(besides mine).

Every tower I've located has had the same lock combo, so that is convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoythefall View Post
    i've located tons of crown castle towers. These guys are constantly expanding their compounds and adding telecom lines/shelters, but i have yet to see any marks inside the fence(besides mine).

Every tower i've located has had the same lock combo, so that is convenient.
    7011 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!