Thread: curious

Default curious

Im a thirty old male who works two jobs that total 58-60 hrs a week they are a steeel warehouse 5yrs and U.P.S 3 yrs. I am a quick learn and smart. Im looking into putting in a application for consildated services in western north carolina this job would be new to me so i would be a newbie. I saw they start at $12. I was looking for anybody opion, and what to expect or look for , and how they are as company . thanx for your guys time

Years of Experience

Default Re: curious

it will be VERY hard to work 2 jobs with the on call in this industry... wish i could help you out with info about the company but they do always make post of locatorjobs.com so it seems they have a big turnover
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience

Most places will not hire someone new to the industry for part-time work. There is just too much time invested in training and set up with truck and equitment to make it worth their investment. Training is full time 40 hours for 2 to 4 weeks depending on the company.

I alrady understand that i cant have second job. I'm going to quit both the jobs and move down there. im just a hard worker and responsible and smart and common sense. im just sick of working two jobs and I want only one job and work the day shift. I put what i do for work now to show u guys what kind of worker i am. I was looking for info on them and how are they to work for.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I imagine there are very few firms that hire part time locators, I have never run into one.

It is impossible to keep a part time job and do locating. You will be called to work overtime, or cover after hours emergency jobs as we never really close, and be unable to attend a part time job. Your part time employer would have to let you go.

On the other hand you would likely make as much or more working as a full time locator.

Factor in that you take the company truck home. Calculate how much it costs you in gas, wear and tear and insurance to run your car to two jobs.

Ok look i dont want to be part time or ever have another second. I live in mass working two jobs it suck i have been doing it for while. Now i want to quit them and be come a full time locator for my career as in the rest of my life. Im asking how it is being a locator and how is consolidate as company. Im interested in postion in western north carolina.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I worked for consolidated for close to three years a while back. They were , for me, a great co to work for. No gps or micro managing. At least back then. Can't tell you about now though. Only bad thing was getting raises. I went damage free , no lates and over my production goals the whole time and never got a raise.
    Work smarter not harder!!!

I currently work for CUS and they are a great company to work for especially since they now have a piece rate program. Also, the management pretty much leaves you alone as long as you're doing your job right.

good luck

Years of Experience

I cant speak for consolidated, never work there. But I will tell you that locating is a pretty good job. I like what I am doing and have been doing it for almost 13 yrs. You get a company truck that you get to take home every nite. They pay the gas, insurance and maintenance on it. You do get to work during the day. Nobody is in the truck with ya. You get a workload, you go and do it (Do It Correctly), and for the most part management leaves you alone. Just dont be a dumbass and drive the truck like an idiot. Most places give you a company phone so you can call your contractors. It can be frustrating at times, and very rewarding other times. I would say go for it. It may not be your thing, but you will never know unless you try. Good luck!

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I imagine there are very few firms that hire part time locators, I have never run into one.

It is impossible to keep a part time job and do locating. You will be called to work overtime, or cover after hours emergency jobs as we never really close, and be unable to attend a part time job. Your part time employer would have to let you go.

On the other hand you would likely make as much or more working as a full time locator.

Factor in that you take the company truck home. Calculate how much it costs you in gas, wear and tear and insurance to run your car to two jobs.
    Good points, there are worthy benefits besides the hourly wage. I do know the wage can get good the more your skills mature also.
    Our company also frowns upon moonlighting. With any other industry.