Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Consolidated Utility Services?

  1. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    Sorry.....that was June 1st

  2. #32
    Senior Member [HAF]Foxtrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pipehorn Kingdom
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    Quote Originally Posted by MismarkIt View Post
    CUS is no longer in Texas. July 01 was the last official day as USIC took over the CenturyLink contract.

    I worked there for 3 years and had a great experience. Piece rate is awesome. Not all the calibers have Sirius but most do. Ioved that car....I'd trade my gps'd Tacoma for it any day. They are starting to do lockout mechanisms on the laptop when driving though.

    My favorite part though ..callouts paid min 3 hours if you had to roll on it...if it was clear you billed an hour and never left the house
    They were Mismark up until about 3 weeks ago. Management has ruled that its more trouble then it is worth and has abandoned this quest. So far we are free to utilize the laptop while driving. Seeing that if you don't know an area good, not being able to look at your maps on the fly would have been extremely hard.

  3. #33
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    Quote Originally Posted by [HAF]Foxtrot View Post
    They were Mismark up until about 3 weeks ago. Management has ruled that its more trouble then it is worth and has abandoned this quest. So far we are free to utilize the laptop while driving. Seeing that if you don't know an area good, not being able to look at your maps on the fly would have been extremely hard.
    The tying the laptop into the vehicles computer so the screen turns off when the transmission is in drive was a safety idea that was not thought out. The address you are going to is on the computer screen and since we are now "paperless" there is no place to look to see the address unless we have great memories we need to read it again. Is that Place or Street? Or is it Court? Which street was that? What house number? Name of business? So instead we have to write it down on paper and read from the paper rather than a screen which is no safer than reading from a screen, just takes up time and lowers productivity.

  4. #34
    Senior Member [HAF]Foxtrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pipehorn Kingdom
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    Exactly ProLo. Thats what CUS decided to not go down that route. In trial runs of this system I bet they found what you said above to be the case. The only way to truly insure your workforce will be safe on the road with a laptop is to suggest to them to only use it at red lights, when they are driving down a quiet neighborhood, or an empty road.

  5. #35
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    Quote Originally Posted by [HAF]Foxtrot View Post
    Exactly ProLo. Thats what CUS decided to not go down that route. In trial runs of this system I bet they found what you said above to be the case. The only way to truly insure your workforce will be safe on the road with a laptop is to suggest to them to only use it at red lights, when they are driving down a quiet neighborhood, or an empty road.
    I don't think any firm will suggest the "use" of a laptop while the vehicle is moving. Just looking at the screen to read the address is the same as looking at a hard copy ticket which like a map people will do while their vehicle is moving. No firm is going to suggest that their employees take their eyes off the road to read anything while the vehicle is moving. So just don't turn off the screen and leave it at an order not to use the keyboard or mouse while the vehicle is moving, do not overstate the circumstance.

  6. #36
    Senior Member The Big-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    247
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    No one should have the monitor on the laptop open while driving. It's the same as texting, reading a book or piece of paper or any other visual distraction in the car. It's against the law and for very good reason.

    Now, having said that, those laptop disablers are a very bad "solution" to the problem. More safety awareness should be taught, and I would like to think that most locators who utilize these things have enough common sense not to have these things up while driving.

    If you can't remember what information you're looking for, find a spot to safely pull over, look at it, then go about your driving.

  7. #37
    Senior Member [HAF]Foxtrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pipehorn Kingdom
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    Big E hit the nail on the head. This is the point I was trying to convene and ended up coming out wrong.

  8. #38
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    No one should have the monitor on the laptop open while driving. It's the same as texting, reading a book or piece of paper or any other visual distraction in the car. It's against the law and for very good reason.

    Now, having said that, those laptop disablers are a very bad "solution" to the problem. More safety awareness should be taught, and I would like to think that most locators who utilize these things have enough common sense not to have these things up while driving.

    If you can't remember what information you're looking for, find a spot to safely pull over, look at it, then go about your driving.
    Sure, pull over to stop when the bosses are all yelling about productivity. Also our rate of pay is determined by our productivity so we are all eager to stop the truck and spend time on other than marking. We look at the laptop or a hard copy, we look at maps. We do not read and study them intensely while driving, just a glance to keep us on track. There is safety and then there is going to extremes on safety. It could be argued that every truck should have a two man crew, a driver to drive and navigator to give directions so the driver's eye's need not leave the road. But this is an extreme even though it would result ina safer driving practice. No employer wants to spend the money on this much safety.

    The first demands to close the laptops did not come from a safety stand point, it came from repairing laptops. The office laptops most locate firms buy do not have screens, lids and hinges built for the vibrations and g-forces of a moving truck. So the lids often broke and had to be replaced. It is from spending money on repairs stemming from buying the wrong laptops, non-rugged or non-semi-rugged class, that this came from.

    Glancing at the laptop to get that stret name or hsoue number refreshed in our minds is not that bad.

  9. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Consolidated Utility Services?

    dunno

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •