Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CLS/USIC Centurylink Contracts

Default Re: CLS/USIC Centurylink Contracts

Wonder if the "black box" is the same Auto Eclipse that USIC uses?

I have seen the car as well. Talked to the locator that was driving it...he stated that it makes you think about where to park at times. Other than that it holds what he needs. Guess locating one utility you dont need much paint and doubt they go down any man holes if even at all.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Paint'n & Flag'n View Post
    Wonder if the "black box" is the same Auto Eclipse that USIC uses?

I have seen the car as well. Talked to the locator that was driving it...he stated that it makes you think about where to park at times. Other than that it holds what he needs. Guess locating one utility you dont need much paint and doubt they go down any man holes if even at all.
    I have marked one utility once, CATV. Still there are some small manholes which are those fiber / concrete monsters that are very heavy. Still the truck had to have a digging shovel for test pits, a digging bar, pry bars for the few manholes there were, the electronic locate equipment - two transmitters and two receivers. Plus the on-call material such as a five gallon can of gas and several flashlights. I was in a very busy area and the office was 45 miles away so all the paint I could carry, usually 10 to 14 boxes of 12 cans each. I usually used a full box of paint daily and often more. An extra set of clothing should I get too wet, especially in winter. Rain gear. Extra water for the radiator and windshield washer fluid. Just about any thing that would keep me and that truck going.

The Aveo has very limited use in our business. Anybody who is where this car does the job can't be working anywhere near as hard.

Years of Experience

USIC got the Century Link contract in Missouri no definite word on a start date yet!!

Was Las Vegas retained or did it change hands? Thanks

L

cls/usic has done the locating in huntsville alabama since they first stuck a shovel in the ground as kmc

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    no gps but they do have crappy little aveo cars and the box that shuts down your laptop when the car is in gear
    Okay, saw my first Aveo today. Looked for these things on the road, in parking lots, seems to not be very popular.

Way too small for any serious work.
    I could not use it even for one light duty utility to mark. The shovel and digging bar alone there is no room for. Plus load up all the cases of paint and the various supplies we use. I can imagine what the interior of that car would look like after a couple of years locating. The wrong vehicle for this industry.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I can only imagine. Every truck i have had i have sprayed the dash and windshield with paint from a can heating up and the tip flying off. Also the bed of my truck a few cans have gotten themselves upside down and sprayed the bed. I know a guy who's truck has had the rear end repaired twice from all the weight strips one of the gears in the diferentional

USIC did not buy consolidated to all the big rumor mill people and if you believe that can u tell me when did u start beleiving anything USIC have told you

Years of Experience

didn't hear it from usic don't work for them. I heard from a 3rd party that I ASSUME that they knew what they were saying but I don't know for a fact. I am sure only a handful of people know for a fact.

Years of Experience

CUS is not on the selling block... and as for the aveos... those vehicles were abandonded as an option more than a year ago... and CUS is and has bought several Dodge Calibers going back two yrs. now, a lot bigger of a vehicle, more room, nice ride

there are a few aveos still in operation in my area, and we locate three utilities, and they do just fine...

No cus isnt for sale but they lost the biggest contract to USIC for centurylink. Not that we want it at all. But I worked GPLS before CUS fully absorbed them and we had fullsize silverados. They were frickin awesome.. Screw those aveos and mini calibers..

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by nuffsenuff View Post
    No cus isnt for sale but they lost the biggest contract to USIC for centurylink. Not that we want it at all. But I worked GPLS before CUS fully absorbed them and we had fullsize silverados. They were frickin awesome.. Screw those aveos and mini calibers..
    I find the Dodge Dakota about the largest size practical for a locate truck. The problem is the rear bed being too high to be practical for our work. We have to reach over the bed walls and the bed of a full sized pickup sets too high off the ground. Tall people do no have a problem but for average and shorter people the reach is too far. Plus reaching out extended for heaver items like boxes of paint is an unnecessary strain on the back.

Smaller trucks like the Ford Ranger should always be extended cabs. For everyone it provides heated space in Winter for paint and equipment. For tall workers it allows the seat to set back a bit further. I have seen tall locators in constant back pain becasue of a cab that for them is too cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I find the Dodge Dakota about the largest size practical for a locate truck. The problem is the rear bed being too high to be practical for our work. We have to reach over the bed walls and the bed of a full sized pickup sets too high off the ground. Tall people do no have a problem but for average and shorter people the reach is too far. Plus reaching out extended for heaver items like boxes of paint is an unnecessary strain on the back.

Smaller trucks like the Ford Ranger should always be extended cabs. For everyone it provides heated space in Winter for paint and equipment. For tall workers it allows the seat to set back a bit further. I have seen tall locators in constant back pain becasue of a cab that for them is too cramped.

I have seen guys so big an extended cab couldnt seat them comfortable being forced into a ranger. Not only was it dangerous to others but physically not safe. When the entire stomach is up on the steering wheel there is no way that can turn out well for anyone. Not to mention 1 was bout 6ft 4in tall and overweight. Not a happy thing to see either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123