Thread: Brother, can you spare a dime?

Years of Experience

Default Brother, can you spare a dime?

I swear I am not making this up, and those of you employed by this outfit can verify. According to my buddy, an amazingly large contract locating company is hardcore soliciting it's techs for "contributions/ payroll deductions for the United Way and some other charity organization.

Nice. As if cutting his overtime, benefits and God knows what else, now you want him to kick back some to make you look good? Because IMHO that's just what the UW and many so called "charitable" organizations are.

My daddy taught me this years ago.

Family first son, charity begins at home. Some folks never learn.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Brother, can you spare a dime?

I can believe it. Times are tough for everyone and still people want you to give. One thing I've learned in this world; If you've got a quarter in your pocket and it is all you have, someone will try and get it from you.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I swear I am not making this up, and those of you employed by this outfit can verify. According to my buddy, an amazingly large contract locating company is hardcore soliciting it's techs for "contributions/ payroll deductions for the United Way and some other charity organization.

Nice. As if cutting his overtime, benefits and God knows what else, now you want him to kick back some to make you look good? Because IMHO that's just what the UW and many so called "charitable" organizations are.

My daddy taught me this years ago.

Family first son, charity begins at home. Some folks never learn.
    I can believe it. Years ago I worked for a firm that gave to the United Way. I singed for payroll deduction for a couple of years. Then one year the sign-up drive came when my wife, I was once married, had just lost her job. We were barely getting by. So that year I could not sign up.

I was taken into the super's office daily for a week of harassment. That I had given the years before and would again when I could did not matter to them. After that I never gave to the UW again.

Turns out the company had made a promise to UW about how much they could raise. Plus each department head was pressured so sign up 100% of employees to contribute. When you give to UW through your company they get the credit for raising the funds and they like the publicity it brings.

I gave to United Way for years while working for USIC. Now if they are trying to get people to sign up again I'm sure it will be harder. With the way contracts come and go and overtime comes and goes I think most of us want to keep our own money and donate the money where we see fit.

I personally donate to our church and the cancer society. I like to choose where I want my hard earned money to go, not let my company try to tell me where to put it.

Years of Experience

Does Acorn run the UW these days?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

I guess you guys haven't heard. Being FORCED to give to charity is the new thing.

Some big names have been talking about volunteer charity being 'just not enough' so forcing to give is the option.

Well, I support the UW but I'm not going to support the UN Food charity, or any other thing the UN supports.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Well, I support the UW but I'm not going to support the UN Food charity, or any other thing the UN supports.
    Well I don't blame you there sir,lol ! For what it's worth I have supported the UW in the past, and many others. But my point is that what one does in these instances is usually personal. And these companies should respect that. And given the fact that most of their people are making WAY less than in the recent past, it's just plain tacky. I think it goes a long way to prove just how out of touch management can be with the contract locators.

Mke
    Years of Experience

At my work, they do the push for charity during the holiday season, and they have 4 solid charities they give to, but they will also allow any charity you want to donate to as long as they meet a certain "pennies on the dollar" mark. They don't want to back a charity that only gives 4 cents on the dollar to the actual cause, and everything else goes to overhead and administration.

I think involving charities and work is a little close to the line of uncomfortability, I keep my charitable contributions close to home (Our church, ARC, and a couple of other small ones) or close to the heart (we have been donating a bit to charities that benefit Autism since Jr. was diagnosed 4yrs ago). I try my hardest to keep work...work, and Home, home.

Mke

Years of Experience

I would never ask for any employee to give to a charity. If a fellow employee is having a hardship we will circulate that info within the company but not ask that anyone give. OneVision contributes to the Salvation Army and to Habitat for Humanity on a yearly basis, but we leave it up the the employees to decide if and who they contribute to. Like Mke says, that's a little too personal and we keep that line of seperation out there. Times are tough for everyone, and we all have burdens to bear.

J Cook
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

I donate to reputable Vetrans funds/charities. American Legion, VFW, POW/MIA etc.

Other than that I can't say I donate to any other organizations.

I do however walk RIGHT ON BY the bell-ringers from Salvation Army. Believe me, I have spent ENOUGH money having to shop at their retail stores. For being 'donated' Sal's sure does put a hefty friggin price on their stuff here.

I want someone to give me a dime!!!!

Years of Experience

my charity goes to the church....and things seem to go well for me......thank God of course!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

What I wonder is if USIC offers a matching gift option for those who want to donate to legitimate organizations. UW and WFP have high admin. costs, I give my donations to community organizations.... organizations that pretty much don't have politicians/CEO's deciding where money goes.

AUL, in a former life (not really, but it seems like it to me), I volunteered with the Red Cross. We had a crisis where the Salvation Army was also involved. I was talking with one of their people and found out that if someone is hungry, to get a meal from them they needed to attend a religious service of some kind. I am not knocking religion, although putting conditions on feeding someone that is hungry seems kind of odd to me. That instance kind of put the kabosh on supporting the S.A. for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint Sniffer View Post
    What I wonder is if USIC offers a matching gift option for those who want to donate to legitimate organizations. UW and WFP have high admin. costs, I give my donations to community organizations.... organizations that pretty much don't have politicians/CEO's deciding where money goes.

AUL, in a former life (not really, but it seems like it to me), I volunteered with the Red Cross. We had a crisis where the Salvation Army was also involved. I was talking with one of their people and found out that if someone is hungry, to get a meal from them they needed to attend a religious service of some kind. I am not knocking religion, although putting conditions on feeding someone that is hungry seems kind of odd to me. That instance kind of put the kabosh on supporting the S.A. for me.
    Actually, UW has a relatively low Admin cost - around 6%. Some of the Charities they support might have higher Admin costs.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.