Thread: big damage

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default big damage

I heard a rumor that USIC took a bit hit damage in either OK or MO. Possibbly even both in both states. Something like the cost of the damage is like $2,000,000.00 Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Years of Experience

Default Re: big damage

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    I heard a rumor that USIC took a bit hit damage in either OK or MO. Possibbly even both in both states. Something like the cost of the damage is like $2,000,000.00 Has anyone else heard anything like this?
    I havent but if i do i will let you know . What in the world got hit to be such a big cost ? WOW

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

for that amount of money has to be a duct package in a metro city, with lots of fiber and large pairs or pulp

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    for that amount of money has to be a duct package in a metro city, with lots of fiber and large pairs or pulp
    If something like that would have happened i think it would have been big news somewhere . One time in Miami a duct bank was drilled thru with a massive bit taking out the whole bank and it was all over the news . Well it also knocked outMimai International Airport also so that may have been the reason for the news coverage.

Years of Experience

It was in Kentucky. 3 1500 pr, 2 1200 pr, 900 pr. All pulp cables. Up to $250k locator thought he marked it.

Years of Experience

Exclamation Re: big damage

It's true it is a Kentucky hit for $250,000 at a CO. Several Pulps were involved. I did hear a rumor like your's though, that there was a big hit out west but I am unable to confirm nor debunk it at this time.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC82 View Post
    It was in Kentucky. 3 1500 pr, 2 1200 pr, 900 pr. All pulp cables. Up to $250k locator thought he marked it.

We make a rough estimate of $50,000 per phone duct cut through. So six cuts would be more like $300,000. But from your description it could be more, much more.

To explain I will go to some length for those readers not acquainted with phone.

The damaged were all 'pulp' cables and pulp refers to the insulation on the individual phone wires. There are old paper insulated lines and they are not color coded. So when you splice them you cannot just connect blue/ yellow to the other severed end of the blue/ yellow, they all look alike. In the old days people would get on each far end of the cut line. The splicer would be at the damage in the middle. The two people on the ends would talk into telephone handset and the splicer would connect a phone handset to the severed ends at the damage site, one line at a time, and listen for the person on the other end. He/she could then splice the wires together. I suppose today they could use a tone generator so as not to have their employees talk themselves hoarse .

So in the damage above the pair count is a total of 7,800 pairs which makes for 15,600 splices. Takes a lot of time and that costs a lot of money.

There is another problem, the size of the splice bundle that results is too big to just put new duct around. So they would have to build a manhole around the new splices. Given the time it often takes to get a permit to build a new manhole, even if it is an emergency, they would likely replace all the cable.

Even if only a few pairs in a pulp cable are damaged if water got into the cable the entire run of cable to the next splice points would have to be replaced. Because if water gets into that paper it is not coming out.

Another cost is the loss of service refunds given to telephone customers, that is added to the cost of repairs. If they do not have spare lines to shift the volume of call onto they may have to pay lease fees to use competitors lines, also added to the cost of the damage.

My guess is that the damage described is over a million dollars. The rumored two million is possible.

Years of Experience

that's Wing's territory over that way ....surely he would have heard of this .....! if it is true....someone 's head is on a platter !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Cool Re: big damage

What makes it worse is USIC lost their discount that was applied to damages and they are also responsible now for outage costs. Combined with the above post that details the intricacies of how this damage can be calculated, I think this could escalate quickly. But we'll have to wait and see...

Years of Experience

I did a LOT of searching and could only find a fiber cut in some town named monroe that only affected 1000 lines and was up in 4 hours it said a crew fixing a water main accidently hit the line. No other non storm related outages i could find

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    .My guess is that the damage described is over a million dollars. The rumored two million is possible.
    Hey PL, good to hear from ya. I was starting to wonder. I didn't seem your state got too big a hit from Sandy. How'ya holding up?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Hey PL, good to hear from ya. I was starting to wonder. I didn't seem your state got too big a hit from Sandy. How'ya holding up?
    Over here near DC it was not as bad as the shore though plenty of power outages and damaged poles.

I was on-call supervisor and my neighborhood tends to get the main roads flooded in big storms, plus the power goes out in much lessor storms. So I would be in position to give assistance, deliver replacement equipment and vehicles, flooding would have prevented that, I got to the office Monday before the storm hit and slept on the floor behind my desk. My neighbors appreciated that becasue it worked like magic, in my neighborhood the roads did not get closed by flooding and the lights only flickered. Plenty of power outages and roads closed by flooding, downed wires and trees elsewhere but around my home everything was fine.

We shut down operations Monday but by Tuesday morning we were all out marking tickets.