Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

  1. #31
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,311
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Just curious to see if you've noticed any significant change in the amount of damages. Has the additional documentation actually saved anything during claim settlement?
    I cannot speak to changes but I can give a baseline for one location.

    This was a few months before GPS tracking came to the Utiliquest trucks in the area.

    By chance I met a Utiliquest damage investigator at the construction site for a housing development. There had been a damage where a water service had been put into a new house. The developer had left the dig open but after two weeks had to close the hole and grade the yard. So now the damage investigator shows up 2 1/2 weeks after the damage.

    He said getting to a damage this late had become routine for him because there were so many damages that he could not keep up. There were so many after hour emergency tickets for damages that if he went to them he would never get any sleep so he went to these the same as any damage. By the time he got on site, often a week or more later, the dig was all closed up and the marks usually gone.

    He also could only do a quick look and jot down some notes. He would make the formal write up the day before his deadline to turn in the report. He said that when I walked up to his truck he was writing the formal reports of damages he had “investigated” several weeks ago.

    I imagine it is not that bad everywhere and I cannot imagine worse than that.

  2. #32
    Member alamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    LOTS OF PLACES
    Posts
    33
    Years of Experience
    25
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    how bout 2 per hour in a 10-12 hr shift? that sounds fine to me. dont you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    ? You lost me there.... I have days that are chocked full of clears and address's i work mulitple times , and a guy can break 4 per hr for a full 10 - 12 hr shift.

  3. #33
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,311
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    how bout 2 per hour in a 10-12 hr shift? that sounds fine to me. dont you think?
    I depends on how many different utilities you are marking as that determines the income per ticket. At most firms it seems that 2 tickets or less per hour means breaking even or worse the company making less income than overhead.

    My work rate is the most I can do without losing quality resulting in damages. So if I can turn out 8 tickets per hour for the day, which I have done on single utility locates, then that is what I do.

  4. #34
    TMO
    TMO is offline
    Senior Member TMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    134
    Years of Experience
    7
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    We used to do this, but with the emphasis on 'positive response' we still have to visit each clear site , even if we cleared it the day b/4. Have to have new pictures in case one of our flags fell over.
    Not to be misunderstood-- i'm absoloutly factoring in a POSITIVE RESPONSE on each tkt, with an exceptional e-sketch to confirm this.

  5. #35
    TMO
    TMO is offline
    Senior Member TMO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    134
    Years of Experience
    7
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Just curious to see if you've noticed any significant change in the amount of damages. Has the additional documentation actually saved anything during claim settlement?
    I have to say that yes , the documentation has helped , but i cant say i've heard of any landmark size numbers , just the 'basic' damages , (lets say , less than six figures , lol!).

  6. #36
    Senior Member sprayandpray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Just curious to see if you've noticed any significant change in the amount of damages. Has the additional documentation actually saved anything during claim settlement?
    Years ago I was running 7-9 locates per hour. The 'new' technology has me running approx 6-7 locates per hour. My area has not changed, except for getting smaller as we added more utilities. With the added utilities and without all of the new rules, I would have been running 10 - 12 locates per hour back in the day. However, each new contract seems to come in cheaper than previous ones. But, my damage ratio remains the same - 1 in over 15000.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !


    It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !


    The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

  7. #37
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,311
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    yes but we are not supposed to talk about none of this info!!! we all signed a disclosure form.....!!!! when your day will come you will lose the laptop you have now! gps tracks your movement at all times yes that is true!!sups will still have their email priveleges!! good luck on getting any info....maybe you should introduce yourself to the vine????
    Can anyone capture this video? I am sure Utiliquest will have it taken down as soon as they find out about it so it would be nice to have a copy.

    Everything that you signed in that gag order decreeing that the information about their software, hardware and how they used it was "proprietary" and speaking about it would result in being fired is revealed here.

    The video is obviously to be show to prospective clients and at trade events.

    The website for the company that made the video is;

    http://www.marjoramcreative.com/?page_id=15

    You can view the video itself at :

    http://www.marjoramcreative.com/?page_id=293

    It gives a close up view of just about everything, no more secrets as they have given them out.

    Also in the video is the new GPS enabled paint stick (they call it an intelligent marking wand) so you can actually see it.

    One other thing you may not be aware of. The video states that 100% of all tickets are audited as they are transmitted to the Utiliquest server. Someone goes over every ticket you do looking for something to complain about. Looks like some people they hired off the street as you know the foremen do not have the time to do this.

    There is also a vague reference to each locators being "never out of sight". This may be a reference to the DriveCam on-board video. While designed as a crash event recorder they are readily converted to a spy camera. This is done by using the software to reset the motion sensor from a crash impact g force to a minor bump. The camera now records both video out the windshield and inside the cab plus all audio inside the cab. The video is on a loop so there is constant recording and when triggered saves something like 15 seconds before and after the bump. These used to be downloaded onto a laptop which only managers had the passwords to operate.

    The new DriveCams are wireless and transmit their sound and video recordings. What is not clear is if the managers can by using the wireless system remotely turn on the video and sound feed inside the cab without there being an impact.

  8. #38
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,311
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    My comments about my posting.


    Utiliquest is painting itself into a corner. Up until now it had the problem of explaining to the shareholders that they spent millions of dollars on electronics for productivity and had falling productivity. At least that is what their locators report, most people down by 25 % or more.

    Now they are making advertisements for this new technology. With truth in advertising laws this makes shutting down such a program should it fail, it it has not already, a real legal tangle.

    So if anybody is waiting for them to turn that stuff off so you can get back to high production, well don't hold your breath.



    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Can anyone capture this video? I am sure Utiliquest will have it taken down as soon as they find out about it so it would be nice to have a copy.

    Everything that you signed in that gag order decreeing that the information about their software, hardware and how they used it was "proprietary" and speaking about it would result in being fired is revealed here.

    The video is obviously to be show to prospective clients and at trade events.

    The website for the company that made the video is;

    http://www.marjoramcreative.com/?page_id=15

    You can view the video itself at :

    http://www.marjoramcreative.com/?page_id=293

    It gives a close up view of just about everything, no more secrets as they have given them out.

    Also in the video is the new GPS enabled paint stick (they call it an intelligent marking wand) so you can actually see it.

    One other thing you may not be aware of. The video states that 100% of all tickets are audited as they are transmitted to the Utiliquest server. Someone goes over every ticket you do looking for something to complain about. Looks like some people they hired off the street as you know the foremen do not have the time to do this.

    There is also a vague reference to each locators being "never out of sight". This may be a reference to the DriveCam on-board video. While designed as a crash event recorder they are readily converted to a spy camera. This is done by using the software to reset the motion sensor from a crash impact g force to a minor bump. The camera now records both video out the windshield and inside the cab plus all audio inside the cab. The video is on a loop so there is constant recording and when triggered saves something like 15 seconds before and after the bump. These used to be downloaded onto a laptop which only managers had the passwords to operate.

    The new DriveCams are wireless and transmit their sound and video recordings. What is not clear is if the managers can by using the wireless system remotely turn on the video and sound feed inside the cab without there being an impact.

  9. #39
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,909
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    ain't holding my breath..........just lovin the OT!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  10. #40
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,311
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    ain't holding my breath..........just lovin the OT!!!!
    True, just remember to bank that OT for the rainy days coming.

    When a company spends millions of dollars on equipment, which in turn requires a monthly fee to service providers, to increase productivity that actually puts routine production on OT. Well do the math, how long can such a company stay in operation?

    My advise is to write down your net take home pay for 40 hours. Then take anything over that and put it into savings. If such a firm does go under there is no guarantee that the new firm that gets the contracts will hire you.

    If the firm comes from outside the area, has no offices in your area, they will need a lot of locators to cover all that work. But many of their hires will be recruited from other firms in your area so do not count on getting hired.

    If the new firm is already established in your area with other contracts they will need even fewer locators.

    Cossider also if they get desperate there would likely be massive pay and benefit cuts so you would be dependent on your saved overtime pay.

    I like getting that OT also but when it gets to the point that the firm's stability is adversely affected, well it is not worth losing my job.

  11. #41
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,311
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Anyone work for Utiliquest? GPS and Tablets?

    I was curious about one thing, Dycom owns Utilitquest / STS and is notoriosu for micromnamging the budgets of their subisidaries.

    For example one locator I convered with from either Oregon or Washington state told me of how their first Winter under Dycom ownership they got shut down. That was becasue Dycom apporved not jsut the budget but each individual line item. Dycom, being in Florida, had canceled the purcahse of snow chains for their fleet.
    First ehavy snwo they sat idle until permission to buy snow chains came through.

    So how would Utiliquest / STS be spending all this money on new technoligy when their own employees are warnign them of pending business failure?

    Part of the answer I found here :

    http://www.drivecamasia.net/News_and...ndustries.aspx


    "Dycom has been a DriveCam customer since 2004 and, currently, more than 5,000 Dycom vehicles are outfitted with DriveCam's exception-based video event recorders. Dycom intends to roll out the solution to an additional 1,800 vehicles, bringing total deployment to nearly 7,000 vehicles."

    I think the old hardwired down loadable drivecams were around $500 each. I think the cost of the new wireless drivecams are about $1,000 each. This makes for an outlay of around $6,800,000 for their subsidiaries. That $6.8M does not include the cost they paid out for the old hardwired drivecams.

    They have also entered into a contract that obligates their subsidiaries to pay a monthly monitoring service fee for each of those 6,800 vehicles.

    I cannot tell how much of the command to invest in GPS technoligy comes from Dycom, not yet.

    The top management of Utiliquest / STS has been derided for the series of decisions to invest in all this new technology which has resulted in lowering productivity. Perhaps they are not at fault at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •