Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone heard of High Tech Engineering?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone heard of High Tech Engineering?

I hate to see a thread stray from its intended purpose. After having said that I want to respond to the comments about editing threads or as some might call it, censoring.

John is a respected contributor to this site. He has privileges in my mind. Someone who's only purpose for coming here is to bitch about John has no privileges. John contributes, montecarloss doesn't. Don't misunderstand, John doesn't have privileges because he is John, he has them because he contributes as all the rest of you who contribute do over those who don't.

As for USIC; If you are talking about USIC the company, they are a huge company who doesn't contribute to this site. Talk about them all you want without being slanderous or harmful to their business (don't cause them to lose business through this website) I don't care otherwise.

As for whether John belongs here. Yes, he belongs here. He can teach all of us something and he believes we can teach him something. He is a locator who owns a business. Not a business that owns locators. (catchy, huh?)
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    lifetime

who is john? what company do you own? it's interesting when an owner can earn the respect of a forum membership as a contributer....good for you
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Jim, OVUS1 Is John Cook, owner of One Vision Utility Services. An all-around good guy.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Jim, OVUS1 Is John Cook, owner of One Vision Utility Services. An all-around good guy.
    I'm getting a little misty-eyed here folks........ but bottom line is we all try to the best we can with what we have. I'm not accepted as an owner because I take a stand or give an opinion that many times owners shy away from - I'm not accepted as a locator because I own a company and have to be the one to make the hard decisions. I get up every day and pray to God that He will give me the strength and wisdom that only He can give - just like every one of you do. My britches go on the same way, and sometimes my poop stinks too. We all know that to be good in this line of work it has to be more than just a job, and that's where the frustration comes in. It's one thing to work on an assembly line day in day out and nail a 2x4 together. It doesn't take a lot of passion or real dedication to produce the finished product. Locating is just the opposite - you have to put in everything you have (both physically and emotionally), and many times what you get back just isn't enough - leading to almost certain frustration every time. We HAVE to invest more of ourselves to get a good result - WE HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE - because just about every other component of Damage Prevention gets a free ride. "Shared Responsibility" - REALLY?? We are the only ones under the clock and under the microscope. All the excavator has to say is the marks were off and we are automatically guilty just about every time. "Due Process" - REALLY?? Customer gets to disclaim all their records, but when a tech fails to locate according to those records EVEN WHEN THOSE RECORDS ARE NOT ACCURATE, guess who gets blamed for the damage?? "Equal Protection" - REALLY?? Manufacturers disclaim their products every way they can. "Cutting Edge Technology" - REALLY?? Yet you are required to go out every day, and your net worth to any company or to this entire industry is based on absolute perfection? "Being Fair" - REALLY?????

I stepped out of the ranks and started my company because I was tired of seeing this industry treat technicians the way that it does. I found out the hard way that now I have to make those tough decisions, and sometimes many lives are affected by those decision. Just like every one of you, there are some days that I don't want to even get out of the bed. I come here to the VINE willing to take some abuse, knowing good and well that I will be a target, just as I was a target a couple of years ago when I competed in the Locate Rodeo. Owners were appalled that I would even think about competing against techs (some of them were OVUS employees), and locators thought I was "grandstanding" and hoped that I would fail to prove their point that owners were not locators. I was trying to make a point that owners needed to get out and really understand locating from top to bottom, and that technicians needed to know that at least one owner could sling some paint too (I KNOW there are more of you out there). It's easy for me to bitch about "anonymity" and say things about some that "live under rocks and slither around" here, because at the end of the day, it would be hard for me to get fired for my posts (i could lose a contract though). You do not have that luxury, and I have to learn to be more respectful - again, a great lesson for an owner to learn by being on this site.

I came to the VINE with my questions about this new company coming in, and have found out many more things that give me greater concern and even greater conviction - not just about the company and their policies, but about the wider effect those policies have on our industry. There will always be policies that people don't like and don't agree with - nobody likes our damage policy and I have lost a few very good techs because of that policy. It stays in place because it's the same standard that I have always held myself to, and I can accept no less from those people that come to OneVision and say they are dedicated to this industry. I have also changed policies because of some of the chatter I've seen here, and Steve and every one of you should be proud to know that. We have a great industry, one that is so underestimated and disrespected by 90% of this world, yet we continue to be our own worst enemy. I've said it before and I'll say it again - until we come together and start acting like a responsible industry, we will continue to be seen as a bunch of disorganized mercenaries and will never get the respect we all deserve.

Whew (for I minute there I felt like I was ProLoc since my response was like a novel....) - any more info on High Tech out there?
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

I would like to nominate John Cook to be President of USIC. If the owners of USIC thought and led like Mr. Cook is leading his employees, the locating industry wouldn't be going to chit.

Years of Experience
    30+

Well Said John.

Years of Experience

Boom!

Years of Experience

Anyone have any comments or dealings with this company?

Any comments on their no locating experience needed to open a locating franchise?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    I'm getting a little misty-eyed here folks........ but bottom line is we all try to the best we can with what we have. I'm not accepted as an owner because I take a stand or give an opinion that many times owners shy away from - I'm not accepted as a locator because I own a company and have to be the one to make the hard decisions. I get up every day and pray to God that He will give me the strength and wisdom that only He can give - just like every one of you do. My britches go on the same way, and sometimes my poop stinks too. We all know that to be good in this line of work it has to be more than just a job, and that's where the frustration comes in. It's one thing to work on an assembly line day in day out and nail a 2x4 together. It doesn't take a lot of passion or real dedication to produce the finished product. Locating is just the opposite - you have to put in everything you have (both physically and emotionally), and many times what you get back just isn't enough - leading to almost certain frustration every time. We HAVE to invest more of ourselves to get a good result - WE HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE - because just about every other component of Damage Prevention gets a free ride. "Shared Responsibility" - REALLY?? We are the only ones under the clock and under the microscope. All the excavator has to say is the marks were off and we are automatically guilty just about every time. "Due Process" - REALLY?? Customer gets to disclaim all their records, but when a tech fails to locate according to those records EVEN WHEN THOSE RECORDS ARE NOT ACCURATE, guess who gets blamed for the damage?? "Equal Protection" - REALLY?? Manufacturers disclaim their products every way they can. "Cutting Edge Technology" - REALLY?? Yet you are required to go out every day, and your net worth to any company or to this entire industry is based on absolute perfection? "Being Fair" - REALLY?????

I stepped out of the ranks and started my company because I was tired of seeing this industry treat technicians the way that it does. I found out the hard way that now I have to make those tough decisions, and sometimes many lives are affected by those decision. Just like every one of you, there are some days that I don't want to even get out of the bed. I come here to the VINE willing to take some abuse, knowing good and well that I will be a target, just as I was a target a couple of years ago when I competed in the Locate Rodeo. Owners were appalled that I would even think about competing against techs (some of them were OVUS employees), and locators thought I was "grandstanding" and hoped that I would fail to prove their point that owners were not locators. I was trying to make a point that owners needed to get out and really understand locating from top to bottom, and that technicians needed to know that at least one owner could sling some paint too (I KNOW there are more of you out there). It's easy for me to bitch about "anonymity" and say things about some that "live under rocks and slither around" here, because at the end of the day, it would be hard for me to get fired for my posts (i could lose a contract though). You do not have that luxury, and I have to learn to be more respectful - again, a great lesson for an owner to learn by being on this site.

I came to the VINE with my questions about this new company coming in, and have found out many more things that give me greater concern and even greater conviction - not just about the company and their policies, but about the wider effect those policies have on our industry. There will always be policies that people don't like and don't agree with - nobody likes our damage policy and I have lost a few very good techs because of that policy. It stays in place because it's the same standard that I have always held myself to, and I can accept no less from those people that come to OneVision and say they are dedicated to this industry. I have also changed policies because of some of the chatter I've seen here, and Steve and every one of you should be proud to know that. We have a great industry, one that is so underestimated and disrespected by 90% of this world, yet we continue to be our own worst enemy. I've said it before and I'll say it again - until we come together and start acting like a responsible industry, we will continue to be seen as a bunch of disorganized mercenaries and will never get the respect we all deserve.

Whew (for I minute there I felt like I was ProLoc since my response was like a novel....) - any more info on High Tech out there?
    That is one hell of a post there John! Easily one of the best I have read about this industry, here or anywhere else for that matter. I think many of us now have a much better understanding of what you are all about, and that having someone on board who can straddle the line between management and technician is truly a good thing for everyone here. Thank you.

Years of Experience

I wouldn't place much creedence in this venture the way it looks to be set up. It looks like the prime focus is franchising. It might as well be any one of the thousands of pitches that "entrepenuers" are tossing out in America these days. "Carpet cleaning, dog boarding, utility locatiing, it's all simple to learn with our proven methods...."

Puhleeese. Whizzing iup a rope is easier and more profitable than this will ever be.

Years of Experience
    lifetime

i thank you guys, i do very little outside locating so i am kinda the bastard child around here.

i do understand the devotion to trade that is required though, i have been promoting locating and troubleshooting in irrigation and leak detection and have to forever defend the proper use of tools and the amount of skill that is required to accurately locate utilities, wires and faults.
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

As far as this "HiTech" company goes, it sounds like a venture my last employer could easily be involved in. That person shall remain unnamed, but it sounds like his kind of scheme.

As far as owners being welcomed here, I welcome the input. I too got fed up with the status quo in the industry and set out on my own a few months ago. While the primary focus of my business is private utilities, I do have ambitions of eventually taking up a contract or two, so John's insights are invaluable to me, even if I don't often speak up.

Thanks for another enlightening thread.
    "You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12