Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Any info on URG out of Michigan

Default Any info on URG out of Michigan

I have seen a couple URG trucks in Indiana any body know if they picked up a contract? Has anybody worked for this company pros cons

Years of Experience

Default Re: Any info on URG out of Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by stickyicky View Post
    I have seen a couple URG trucks in Indiana any body know if they picked up a contract? Has anybody worked for this company pros cons
    Never worked for them, but they are easily the least professional contract outfit I've ever run across, and we all know how professional most contract outfits are!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Who is URG? What does URG stand for?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

URG= UTILITY RESOURCE GROUP. in Il they took over the city of chicago contract from adesta. and also for the ast 1.5 years locate peoples energy(gas company in chicago) integrys so ill assume they do integrys in michigan to where they are both based

Hey partner

Thinking about joining this company, but dont want to get mixed up with a failing team. Do you have any examples you can share? would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Years of Experience
    retired

PM frostypeters, I think he was a sup for them before his current gig...
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Years of Experience
    enough

I have heard they are doing gas leak detection in Indiana.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by hellbilly View Post
    I have heard they are doing gas leak detection in Indiana.

and puncturing holes into plastic gas mains while doing their detections!!! aint lyin'

I have worked for the owner of URG in two seprate locating companies. He has been doing this longer than any person in the country.He started out as a locator then supervisor asst. manager manager.and now owner. He knows what he is doing and a great guy to work for..

Years of Experience
    enough

Quote Originally Posted by bodine View Post
    I have worked for the owner of URG in two seprate locating companies. He has been doing this longer than any person in the country.He started out as a locator then supervisor asst. manager manager.and now owner. He knows what he is doing and a great guy to work for..

They treat their guys like shit and pay about the same. I have talked to more then a few URG guys that are fed up being run ragged.

hellbilly if u talk to 95% of people in the locate industry they will say the same thing !! what people dont understand is these companies dont get payed alot for each call out ticket .

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by bodine View Post
    hellbilly if u talk to 95% of people in the locate industry they will say the same thing !! what people dont understand is these companies dont get payed alot for each call out ticket .
    A major part of the problems and it has many facets.

Most of the time it is blamed on a locate company 'low balling' a contract bid. The client utility is part of this problem in that they will only get what they pay for, not what they demand from the locate firm in the contract. Getting more than what is paid for simply does not work, the locate firm would go out of business.

As for the locate firm low balling we have to understand how this works.

If a firm is new to an area and does not have an office and contract there they usually can't afford to low ball the offer. They can only afford to do this if the rest of their offices and making good profit and can subsidies the new low balling office. The idea being that they intend to sue to new low ball office as a beachhead in the area to gain business territory and take other contracts at a profitable rate later.

If a locate firm is established in an area they may low ball the bid becasue their existing contract(s) is profitable. They add on a utility to each locate at no profit for the new utility. I doubt this works all that well as I have seen this elsewhere and they usually are scrambling to stay in the black, they often underestimate costs. The idea here is to take profit from a competitor more than to make profit directly. It does make a certain amount of business sense, if a competitor has less money now they have less resource to compete against you.

No matter what the maneuvering the locate firms have a similar problems as the client company, you get what you pay for. Often the locate firms do not want to pay money and benefits to the locators. The locators in turn just do not work all that hard as a reflexive self deference action, they do it without hardly thinking about it. Amazing how some firms put money into good equipment but not the only thing in their firm that makes money for the company, the locator.

So back to problem one; The client only gets what they pay for. If the client figures correctly they have to pay more for the locates and signs such a contract that by itself does not insure they get what they pay for. The problem here can be, and I have seen it elsewhere myself, is the greed of some management keeps the share of this money from going to the locators. They just pocket all the money, the locators can see this and they just do not work any harder so the client still does not get what they pay for.

There are only two solutions;

The locate firm recognizes the locator is their only source of income and pays them well and treats them well.

The second is the client recognizes that the first solution need not be implement and puts in the contract something called living wage clause. This clause is not uncommon with government contracts. It requires the employer to pay not less than a minimum amount to the employees working on that contract. It is also not uncommon for there to be multiple pay scales. For example a common laborer is not skilled labor and gets the bottom pay scale. Employees like locators are 'skilled labor' and get a higher pay scale. Living wage is not Federal minimum age, it is a minimum pay to make a lower to middle "middle class" income.

The solution is within the client firms that figure out that they must pay more and insure that good levels of income go to the employees. We are not likely to see this until corporate shields are pierced on property damage, injuries and deaths due to miss-marks or blown off tickets. This is where the client company takes a beating in court for the shortcomings of the locate firm.
    bodine likes this.

Years of Experience

2 words and you can make the decision... Dave Neira. I see they have a position in Chicago open.... Thinking about making the dive myself but still on the fence.