Thread: American Survey & Engineering

Years of Experience

Default American Survey & Engineering

I have run across these fellows before on expressway projects in the Chicago area, I understand they do survey work for IDOT. Ran into a small crew yesterday working on the north side of Chicago, and they told me they are doing People's Gas and City of Chicago Streetlights now. Anyone know what happened to URG? Or is American taking over their contract? I see they have been recruiting heavily for locators recently.

Default Re: American Survey & Engineering

urg is still there and holds the contract. they give american 25 percent of their work due to them being minority companies something in the contract with the city of chicago or something like that. i know a couple of people that work at urg and that is exactly what they told me.

Years of Experience

That makes sense. There are a lot of companies that will sub out a portion of work to meet those requirements. I would imagine that they are having a tough time staffing for work within the city limits. People's gas is nowhere near as easy to deal with as Nicor, and I can't imagine locating their plant is easy at all. Then of course it's a bear to locate most facilities in Chicago.

yeah i have seen their trucks all around IL but no locators in hand prob were just doing surveying or engineering hence the name of the company. they may be be locating in chicago but i dont think they are a locating company nor hold a contract with any utility so the employees at as&e are safe from usic eating them up unless usic buys urg next. time will tell in good time