Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By advanceMan

Thread: Alberta Line Find

Default Alberta Line Find

I found them fairly good. I loved my job, so I didn't really pay attention to the usual office politics. Unfortunately, I was laid off recently, as the Alberta economy is in a downward spiral. So basically I worked 7 months as a locator assistant, so I was fairly low on the totem pole.

I love locating, and I was curious as to know if any companies in saskatchewan, Manitoba, or elsewhere in Alberta are hiring. I'll probably try and find employment in a smiliar position in Maintoba (my home province), but I'll try saskatchewan if all else fails.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Alberta Line Find

Godspeed to your search dude!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Is there a company called Down under locating up there?? if you search for locating in Canada they come up ,have a Kangaroo with an RD for a logo??? are they still around???Good Luck

What the hell is a locator assistant?
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMap View Post
    Witching sticks
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMap View Post
    Is that like a Fluffer?

I would like to hire a Fluffer......

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Alberta Cowboy:

Our company is hiring all over Alberta, so PM me with where you live and will put you in contact with the right person.

Here where I live I think we are looking for about 30 or more locators.

What utilities have you located?

I have done some locates here for Alberta Line Find.
    Seemed like reasonable people.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

a locators "assistant' is the guy who holds the box, pounds the lath, unpacks/packs the quads/skidoos, and does the grunt work for the locator who has more important things to do such as running the wand, drawing pictures and pretending to know what the contractor is doing. They are usually inexperienced. I took a job holding the box after some ten years exp and having helpers of my own. I knew what i was in for, but i wanted to stay in town. I lasted 11months. longer than most experienced locators egos would allow. I think i might have located one cable in all that time. the guy i was with had less experience than me, and was always trying to cast some element of doubt on anything i said. The only reason we got along well was all the weed and heavy metal on the road. Make any witty(stupid) comment you like, we don't see pot that way here, and anyone who does is in a minority and considered a douchebag victim of American bullshit propaganda. I doubt it will be illegal much longer. All the best locators i ever knew were pot heads and that's probably still true. It's the only way to tolerate all that driving. Would you really want to go out on the road for two wks straight with some hardasses and not have any weed or beer? That would SUCK! Most foremen and owners know this and usually look the other way if things are going smoothly. It's the locating companies with useless auditors and supervisors, and other people looking to advance themselves while stepping on others that have nothing to betterto do than sniff out the smokers. In my experience, all the guys who are going to come on here and say some nasty bullshit after reading this are the ones who were
    A:the Laziest
    B:The stupidest
    C:the most two faced and scheming/conniving
    Management and aspiring management types of little or no integrity. Those opinions mean nothing to me because I can smoke a joint, locate you under the table, than kick your ass for your stupid opinion, go jam with the boys and probably still make a higher wage and get more respect for my experience. Suck it anti pot assholes.
    AlbertaCowboy likes this.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by advanceMan View Post
    a locators "assistant' is the guy who holds the box, pounds the lath, unpacks/packs the quads/skidoos, and does the grunt work for the locator who has more important things to do such as running the wand, drawing pictures and pretending to know what the contractor is doing. They are usually inexperienced. I took a job holding the box after some ten years exp and having helpers of my own. I knew what i was in for, but i wanted to stay in town. I lasted 11months. longer than most experienced locators egos would allow. I think i might have located one cable in all that time. the guy i was with had less experience than me, and was always trying to cast some element of doubt on anything i said. The only reason we got along well was all the weed and heavy metal on the road. Make any witty(stupid) comment you like, we don't see pot that way here, and anyone who does is in a minority and considered a douchebag victim of American bullshit propaganda. I doubt it will be illegal much longer. All the best locators i ever knew were pot heads and that's probably still true. It's the only way to tolerate all that driving. Would you really want to go out on the road for two wks straight with some hardasses and not have any weed or beer? That would SUCK! Most foremen and owners know this and usually look the other way if things are going smoothly. It's the locating companies with useless auditors and supervisors, and other people looking to advance themselves while stepping on others that have nothing to betterto do than sniff out the smokers. In my experience, all the guys who are going to come on here and say some nasty bullshit after reading this are the ones who were
    A:the Laziest
    B:The stupidest
    C:the most two faced and scheming/conniving
    Management and aspiring management types of little or no integrity. Those opinions mean nothing to me because I can smoke a joint, locate you under the table, than kick your ass for your stupid opinion, go jam with the boys and probably still make a higher wage and get more respect for my experience. Suck it anti pot assholes.

Advance:

You are a funny, funny guy. Reminds me of a Doug and Doug or Cheech and Chong skit!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Plowing season is starting. My old boss is trying to get me back AGAIN. It's nice to be needed. I may take him up on it, not sure yet. If theres any canadian locators looking for work in Alberta(which i'm beginning to suspect there are few, if any)lurking on this site, you can pm me. It's not a sissy job, and you have to throw most of what you've been told out the window. If you forward me a contact #, i'll pass it on. He'll start you at $18, and if you're not a dumb****, you'll move up real quick. He likes to keep his guys happy, usually you'll get your check within 2 days of cutoff. All your overtime etc is paid, you just gotta roll with the crew, or more accurately keep ahead of the plowtrain.

Incidently, what's the average wage now? i heard the AVERAGE wage in Alberta is 23.90, I met a locator claiming to make 28 once, that's pretty high for a locator. I make less than Iwould on the crew now(More than 18!!), but there's more to life than locating, and I spent too many good years in the ditch. UGQ?

Oh ya, I NEVER trust a locator who doesn't smoke weed.