Thread: 2009 Florida Gators

Years of Experience

Default 2009 Florida Gators

2009 Florida Gators Prediction

2008 Record: (12-1, 7-1)
    Coach: Urban Meyer, 5th year (44-9 at Florida, 83-17 overall)
    Off. Coordinator: Steve Addazio (1st year)
    Def. Coordinator: Charlie Strong (7th year)
    Returning Starters: 20 (7 offense, 11 defense, punter kicker)
    Ret. Starting Quarterback: Yes (Tim Tebow)

Offense: How many teams have 20 returning starters? How many teams have a former Heisman Trophy winner back at quarterback? Thereís only one team and that is Florida. Senior Tim Tebow (6-3, 245) will go down as one of the great college quarterbacks of all time.

Whether that translates to the next level is another story. Tebow threw for 2,746 yards last season and ran for 673 yards, compiling 42 touchdowns. The key will be his receivers, as he returns just one starters in Riley Cooper (30 catches in 37 games), though his starting tight end Aaron Hernandez (6-2, 250) is back after catching 34 receptions for 381 yards. At running back, the Gators return sophomores Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey. Both are playmakers who averaged 7.8 yards per carry and are capable receivers. Up front, they return three starters as freshman center Sam Robey (6-4, 291) won the job in the spring, moving junior Maurkice Pouncey (6-5, 318) from center to left guard.

Defense: The defense returns all 11 starters from a unit that allowed just 12.9ppg (4th in the nation) and 285.3 yards per game (9th). Itís safe to say they should lead the nation in most categories and there are few if any weaknesses. Up front, the Gators are led by DE Carlos Dunlap (9 sacks), a 6-6, 290-pounder, who is not even listed as a starter. They are so deep at tackle, itís insane. After starters Lawrence Marsh (6-4, 304) and Terron Sanders (6-2, 309), they have sophomore Omar Hunter (6-0, 308), who emerged in the spring and could use big-time freshman recruit Gary Brown (who they should redshirt). At linebacker, senior Brandon Spikes (6-3, 258) anchors a very athletic trio. Spikes, who had 93 tackles last season, is the leader of a defense that forced 34 turnovers last year. In the secondary, they have incredible talent and depth. Junior Joe Haden and sophomore Jenoris Jenkins are future proís, while junior SS Ahmad Black led the team with seven interceptions.

Outlook: The schedule features two gimmes to open with Charleston Southern and Troy at home. Not saying Troy is bad, but they arenít in the same hemisphere at the Gators. Their first SEC game will be a home contest against Tennessee. Do you think Urban Meyer will run the score up against Lane Kiffin, who accused Meyer of a NCAA recruiting violation? Their toughest games will be a roadie at LSU on Oct. 10, a neutral game vs. Georgia in Jacksonville and a home game against Florida State. If they get past LSU, they should be undefeated going into the SEC Championship game.
    The 2009 Gator Football Schedule

9/5 Charleston Southern (Div. 1 AA) -------------------------------------- W (62 - 3)
    9/12 Troy -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- W (56 - 6)
    9/19 Tennessee ---------------------------------------------------------------------- W (23 - 13)
    9/26 at Kentucky -------------------------------------------------------------------- W (41 - 7)
    10/10 at LSU --------------------------------------------------------------------------- W (13 - 3)
    10/17 Arkansas (Homecoming) ---------------------------------------------- W (23 - 20)
    10/24 at Mississippi State ------------------------------------------------------ W (29 - 19)
    10/31 vs. Georgia (Jacksonville FL) --------------------------------------- W (41 - 17)
    11/7 Vanderbilt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- W (27 - 3)
    11/14 at South Carolina ---------------------------------------------------------- W (24 - 14)
    11/21 Florida International ------------------------------------------------------ W (62 - 3)
    11/28 Florida State (Senior Day) --------------------------------------------- W (37 - 10)
    12/5 SEC Championship Game (Atlanta GA)

Hmmm.... I wonder if the Detroit fans will love Tebow next year as much as the Gator fans do now?
    Now that I think about it, Tim has performed well in blue and white..............

---------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; November 29th, 2009 at 06:17 AM.

Years of Experience

Default Re: 2009 Florida Gators

Wingfoot: I agree - best college QB of all time...But can Tebow be a battering-ram all season long? He's going to need more help this year.

PS.. Roll Tide

OMG!!!!
    Y'all don't know football, do ya?
    haha
    GO DAWGS!!!!
    I do believe Stafford was the best QB... actually Tebow and Stafford were equally awsome in their own ways.
    I just wish we would have him this year. We woulda won our 1st game.
    Just you wait Wingfoot... October 31st is just around the corner! Maybe the Gators can learn a few tricks on how to play football. lol

Years of Experience

Them Gators gonna leave a piece of themselves on the field come October 10 at 7pm...

I predict an LSU victory. Oh, look, it's at home. I'm sure the vibrations of thousands of insane cajuns will make them feel right at home
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Yes, I know Tim Tebow will make your life better after only a 5 or even 20 minute talk. Yes HE CAN walk on water.
    ....WAIT.... THAT'S RIGHT..... He's Jesus reincarnated, but keep him the hell away from us. We don't want him. We need a defensive line, Offensive line, and defensive backs.

Remember that detroit has it's own blue. Honolulu blue and Silver. We may bake the cornbread, and butter it heavily. And sometimes we even spike the Kool-Aid. But we enjoy our pathetic football team. Only 8 more losses until we pass Tampa Bay for worst of all time (and they were an expansion team).

Although I do like Staffords Demeanor.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Smile Re: 2009 Florida Gators

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDodd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    2009 Florida Gators Prediction

Tim Tebow (6-3, 245) will go down as one of the great college quarterbacks of all time.

If the Gators get past LSU, they should be undefeated going into the SEC Championship game.

The 2009 Gator Football Schedule

9/5 Charleston Southern (Div. 1 AA) -------------------------------------- W (62 - 3)
    9/12 Troy -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- W (56 - 6)
    9/19 Tennessee ---------------------------------------------------------------------- W (23 - 13)
    9/26 at Kentucky -------------------------------------------------------------------- W (41 - 7)
    10/10 at LSU --------------------------------------------------------------------------- W (13 - 3)
    10/17 Arkansas (Homecoming) ---------------------------------------------- W (23 - 20)
    10/24 at Mississippi State ------------------------------------------------------ W (29 - 19)
    10/31 vs. Georgia (Jacksonville FL) --------------------------------------- W (41 - 17)
    11/7 Vanderbilt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- W (27 - 3)
    11/14 at South Carolina ---------------------------------------------------------- W (24 - 14)
    11/21 Florida International ------------------------------------------------------ W (62 - 3)
    11/28 Florida State (Senior Day) --------------------------------------------- W (37 - 10)
    12/5 SEC Championship Game (Atlanta GA)

---------------------------------------------------------
    Wingfoot: I agree - best college QB of all time...But can Tebow be a battering-ram all season long? He's going to need more help this year.
    OMG!!!! Just you wait Wingfoot... October 31st is just around the corner! Maybe the Gators can learn a few tricks on how to play football. lol
    Them Gators gonna leave a piece of themselves on the field come October 10 at 7pm...
    Well, Wingfoot made another accurate prediction..... (that was meant as a jab directed to my buddy ifindit) Tebow handed the Gator fans their first PERFECT season! Now it's off to the SEC Championship game next week, 5 December 2009 at 4:00 pm EST on CBS to face #2 Alabama. I predict a low scoring game of great defensive plays from both teams. Tim will be rewarded with another SEC Championship trophy.....

Read what Coach Jimmy Johnson sez about Tebow's NFL future:

The debate over whether Florida senior quarterback Tim Tebow is NFL material continues to grow as Tebow gets closer to the end of his Gator career.

But at least one former coach, Jimmy Johnson, says Tebow has no shot at being successful in the NFL in a pro-style offense and a team would have to make a drastic overhaul for him to be successful in the league.
    ďI donít think Tim Tebow can play in the NFL if itís in a pro style of offense,'' said Johnson, now a FOX NFL analyst, on today's Dan Patrick television show. "I think that if somebodyís gonna draft Tim Tebow, theyíve gotta do one of two things. Theyíve either gotta say, 'OK heís gonna be an H-back, heís gonna be a blocker and a sometimes receiver' or if Iím gonna have him as a quarterback, Iím gonna have to change my entire offense and probably oughta change my coach, hire me a coach whoís gonna run a spread offense and be able to use Tim Tebow in that fashion, but in a pro style of offense, I donít think Tim Tebow can be successful.Ē

Florida coach Urban Meyer said on Monday that he hopes Tebow will one day become a head football coach, but Tebow said he hopes to "play a little football'' at the next level before having to decide on his future in other areas.

I hope coach Johnson has vastly under-estimated Tim Tebow's NFL potential.

------------------------------------------------

I think the cript keeper will draft him.

AlDavisIsAGhoulorisittheotherwayaround.jpg
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    I think the cript keeper will draft him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

Jimmy Johnson predicts Tebow's NFL future

Jimmy Johnson says Tebow has no shot at being successful in the NFL.
    ďI donít think Tim Tebow can play in the NFL,Ē said Johnson, ďI donít think Tim Tebow can be successful.Ē

I hope coach Johnson has vastly under-estimated Tim Tebow's NFL potential.

------------------------------------------------
    By Bill Williamson
    ESPN.com
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Many people have many ideas for Tim Tebow in the NFL.

Some believe he'll be a fine H-back because of his sturdy stature and hard running style. Others think he'd be a terrific special teams player because of his desire for the game.

2010 NFL Draft's 25th pick overall - Tim Tebow

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels doesn't envision any of those roles for Tebow, the player he traded three picks to Baltimore for and for whom he staked his reputation as a coach.

Denver Broncos' Head Coach Josh McDaniels

"He's a quarterback," McDaniels said Saturday afternoon after wrapping up his second draft as Denver's coach. "He's a quarterback. That's all he's going to do."

McDaniels and Tebow will begin the process of making the Gators legend an NFL-quality quarterback next week in a rookie-only minicamp.

McDaniels reiterated again Saturday that Tebow will be competing for the job that is currently owned by Kyle Orton.

Broncos 2009 Starting QB - Kyle Orton

"Like everybody, he will be competing for a job," McDaniels said."I don't care if a guy is a rookie. If he's earned the job, he'll play. That goes for any position. But I'll say this, he has a long way to go to get there. But he is starting the process."

McDaniels said Tebow could potentially play in "wildcat" packages as a rookie if he isn't playing otherwise. But he made it clear that Tebow's primary goal is to become a starting quarterback, no gimmicks attached.

"He's a quarterback," said McDaniels for a third time in a five-minute conversation.

Years of Experience

go lsu tigers
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato