Thread: Theives At The Airports

Years of Experience

Default Theives At The Airports

Tuesday Oct 14, 2008 - The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), who's sole purpose is to protect travelers from terrorists and terrorist's actions, reached a mind-boggling new low in customer service this week when it was revealed that one agent had single-handedly absconded with over $200,000 worth of travelers' belongings; primarily cameras and laptops! His latest haul: a $47,900 camera belonging to CNN, taken from the luggage of a traveling HBO employee. CNN found the missing camera for sale on eBay.

The culprit is Pythias Brown, a 48 year old resident of Maplewood, NJ who worked in the TSA department at Newark Liberty Airport. Once busted, police discovered an inventory of 66 cameras, 31 laptops, assorted jewelry, lenses, GPS devises and much more when they searched his home.

Brown had been converting the stolen gear into cash. And was doing a great job with a near-perfect feedback rating on 600 items sold on eBay.

Brown was taking items from checked luggage within the bowels of the airport, not carry-ons. Consumers are no longer allowed to lock their luggage. TSA is allowed to break unauthorized locks as it sees fit. Travelers have no protection when guarding against airport employee thievery.

The small print on airline tickets absolves carriers of losses due to damage or theft of checked articles of great value. Regardless, some airlines charge a whopping $250 for a checked bag! It may now be cheaper to advance ship that 3rd suitcase or an over-sized case through UPS or FedEx to and from your final destination. It could be the only safe and cost-effective solution to protect expensive items from TSA employee theft. With shipping carriers you can insure the replacement value of the luggage contents against damage and theft.

How's that for progress?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Theives At The Airports

looks like i'll continue driving everywhere as i have been for the past 30 years or so.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

They are going to charge and charge the consumer until the consumer decides they don't need the hassle... then comes the airline bailouts.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

My brand new camera was stolen on my flight back from NY. Not sure which city it happened in but none the less i'm out a camera.

They aren't worth the risk. Next time I have to travel more than 3 -4 states north, I'm taking a train. Everyone rips on trains, but they're my favorite. There's nothing like sneaking a six-pack of beer on the Amtrak and catching a buzz as you chug along through the snow capped mountains of Washington in the wintertime, soaking up all the sights

its like ferris bueller said...

life moves pretty fast...if you don't slow down and smell the roses, you could miss it
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    They aren't worth the risk. Next time I have to travel more than 3 -4 states north, I'm taking a train. Everyone rips on trains, but they're my favorite. There's nothing like sneaking a six-pack of beer on the Amtrak and catching a buzz as you chug along through the snow capped mountains of Washington in the wintertime, soaking up all the sights

its like ferris bueller said...

life moves pretty fast...if you don't slow down and smell the roses, you could miss it
    Now that is how to do it!!!
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

Tuesday Oct 14, 2008 - The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), who's sole purpose is to protect travelers from terrorists and terrorist's actions, reached a mind-boggling new low in customer service this week when it was revealed that one agent had single-handedly absconded with over $200,000 worth of travelers' belongings; primarily cameras and laptops! His latest haul: a $47,900 camera belonging to CNN, taken from the luggage of a traveling HBO employee. CNN found the missing camera for sale on eBay.

The culprit is Pythias Brown, a 48 year old resident of Maplewood, NJ who worked in the TSA department at Newark Liberty Airport. Once busted, police discovered an inventory of 66 cameras, 31 laptops, assorted jewelry, lenses, GPS devises and much more when they searched his home.

Brown had been converting the stolen gear into cash. And was doing a great job with a near-perfect feedback rating on 600 items sold on eBay.

Brown was taking items from checked luggage within the bowels of the airport, not carry-ons. Consumers are no longer allowed to lock their luggage. TSA is allowed to break unauthorized locks as it sees fit. Travelers have no protection when guarding against airport employee thievery.

The small print on airline tickets absolves carriers of losses due to damage or theft of checked articles of great value. Regardless, some airlines charge a whopping $250 for a checked bag! It may now be cheaper to advance ship that 3rd suitcase or an over-sized case through UPS or FedEx to and from your final destination. It could be the only safe and cost-effective solution to protect expensive items from TSA employee theft. With shipping carriers you can insure the replacement value of the luggage contents against damage and theft.

How's that for progress?
    Last year when I flew to Montana I had a lock on my clothes bag. This year I put one on my bag that carried $3500 worth of snowboards. Each year, both locks were cut and the standard card insterted........"The TSA regrets cutting your lock, but"..........Next year I will pay for an extra bag filled with condoms and lock the sucker. Hopefully the TSA boys will get a laugh.
    "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip someone the bird"

Hey.........pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

Thursday, March 19, 2009
    BY JIM SALTER/The Associated Press

ST. LOUIS Eight contract baggage handlers for Delta Airlines rifled through hundreds of bags of luggage at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport over a period of more than a year, stealing some 900 items ranging from laptops and iPods to cologne and cigarettes, airport police said Thursday.

At a news conference at the airport, most of the recovered items were laid out on tables. The thieves targeted expensive goods: mostly electronic devices, games, computers and computer equipment. There also were more mundane items cartons of cigarettes, battery chargers, even cologne.

In January, airport detective Eric Williams noticed a pattern. A tip from an airport employee confirmed his suspicion that workers at the airport were stealing.

Williams developed suspects and began interviewing them earlier this month. Mason said the suspects admitted to the crime and even led authorities to a home in Jersey County, Ill., where one of the suspects lives. Many of the stolen goods were found at that home.

Mason said the workers were opening bags before placing them on outbound flights. "They were carrying (stolen items) out in their coats, or fannypacks, or backpacks," he said.

Huntleigh only provides baggage handling services at Lambert for Delta. Mason said the thefts have raised concerns for other airlines, too, though he believes it was an isolated incident. (What a line of B.S.)

------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

08:32 AM PST on Saturday, February 21, 2009

PORTLAND, Ore. - Two baggage handlers at Portland International Airport have been charged with the theft of more than 200 items, including laptop computers and jewelry.

Port of Portland Police arrested 43-year-old Bridgette Bunnell of Molalla on Wednesday. She was charged with eight counts of theft by receiving.

Police arrested 46-year-old Jose Trejo Romero of Vancouver, Wash., on Feb. 14. He was charged with aggravated theft.

Both workers are employed by Northwest Airlines.

"Reports of bag theft are pretty uncommon," Steve Johnson with the Port of Portland said. "In fact, they were down in 2008. Anytime we see a little spike in activity were gonna get right on that with police work."

-----------------------------------------

Bag thefts uncommon??????? Yeah ok. This guy still has a job?????