Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wantlifeback

Thread: Secret lives of locator's wives.

Default Secret lives of locator's wives.

Dear USIC,

I want my husband back. He has worked for you a number of years now, fulfilling multiple rolls and responsibilities therein. He has been a trusted employee worth your investment because he does a good job at any task you've set him on. You have acknowledged and rewarded it on rare occasion, but that was back when you seemed to care even a smidgen for your employees. But this job, this job is really a cruel one. This company, as it works to monopolize the industry, feels that it can equally drain every inch of life from its employees with no remorse and hardly the compensation to argue that its worth it.
    The longer my husband has worked for you the more stressed he has become. But I do realize it is not just him that feels such a burden - this is a company wide plague, though it starts with the locators it goes on up the local chain of command. I feel bad for every locator's family when their spouse/partner/children etc... are lucky to get even 2 to 3 waking hours of time together with them on any given day. That is to say, 2 to 3 waking hours together assuming said locator is even mentally and physically alert enough to engage in such interaction by the time they can drag themselves home. My husband has seen this job's effects on his coworkers and I see the effect it has on him. The similarities among them all are uncanny. Taking care of one's health with eating right, exercising and proper rest get completely thrown out the window, and even honest attempts to try to stay on track with it get thwarted by the insane hours demanded by working this job in any large urban area. If one smoked or drank before the job they are likely to increase it along with any other bad habits in order to try and cope with the stress. There is virtually no support and little to no "supervising" from the supervisors (probably just because they are all equally at their wits end as well).
    If/when my husband is fortunate enough to squeeze in a week vacation once or twice a year, he is a completely different person - alert... interactive... alive again. But after any given day in your employ it is like I am married to a zombie. He is well aware of this, he feels sorry for it, but he is so burnt out and fatigued he can hardly fathom any other way to be, and then his 'other self' of distant vacations is more like a dream. In the years he has worked for you he has seen fellow employees lose their marriages, miss events in their children's lives, suffer heart attacks at young ages and other health complications from the stress load, and have to forgo any number of simple pleasures that would otherwise help to make a life more worth living.
    On a good day (and those have become more rare the larger this company has become and the more times it has changed ownership), he actually enjoys doing the work, which is what has helped contribute to him being valuable for you. But you don't really seem to see your employees as important assets, do you? For some reason you act as if it is in your best interest to just suck them dry until they either snap somehow and you have to fire them over it, or until you completely drive them away (or maybe drive them into seeking psychological therapy?) after however many painstaking, stress-filled, grinding hours you expect to pull out of them. Every new tech that my husband has helped mentor, has always been surprised when they are finally out in the field themselves, by the constantly negative, depressing atmosphere of all the more seasoned employees... and it never takes them long to realize for themselves why this is.
    Of course anyone could throw the argument in the locator's or their family's faces and say, "Well if you think it is so terrible then why don't you just quit?!". But realistically this isn't even a viable option for many families, especially in our country's current economic climate. Why then, is it so much to ask, for you to just be a little more sympathetic? With as much money as you invest in training - trying to avoid employees causing damages which cost the company more money - investing in your employee's well being in a notable, attainable manner would surely go further in protecting the company from damages caused by tired, over worked, irritable, brain-drained employees. Not only could they then go home at the end of the day perhaps feeling truly proud of the good work they had accomplished for the day, but also in reasonable enough time and mood to maintain a life outside of work livelihood.
    sprayinpaint likes this.

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Secret lives of locator's wives.

Very well put!!!!

Years of Experience

Can't ditto this enough!!!!!!!!

I had to log in on this one.. Well said, well written and well spoken.

After many years in the industry I had to step away for the very same reasons listed above. My family who I was working for became secondary and that is just crazy! Now after a few months I can only reflect and kick my own butt for not doing it sooner. Not all locate companies are this bad but I know the big boys have no clue what they are doing to some very hard working folks.. Good Luck to everyone.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Bravo!!! *Standing Ovation*
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

nobody's holding a gun to anyones head to be a locator...

There are options...

Regardless, job satisfaction should be important to an employer. Dedication should be recognized. Employees shouldn't have to look elsewhere for ultimately avoidable management mistakes. But that's the nature of corporations I guess.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by threephase View Post
    Regardless, job satisfaction should be important to an employer. Dedication should be recognized. Employees shouldn't have to look elsewhere for ultimately avoidable management mistakes. But that's the nature of corporations I guess.
    I see where you are coming from, but IME this is a private equity problem. Corporations quite often take their employees issues more seriously, and more importantly, they often try to work things out to everyone's satisfaction before it becomes a drag on revenue. PEF's quite often just grind their people into the ground, because they are not in it for the long haul. Barring the sale of the company, they will only change things under pressure. Either from the customers, or whatever governing body is overseeing them.

You won't get a shred of sympathy from the investors who benefit from your misery, of that I am certain.