Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: News You May Have Missed

Years of Experience

Default News You May Have Missed

Blagojevich, former Illinois Governor, Found Guilty of Corruption

CHICAGO (AP) — A jury convicted former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich on Monday, June 27, 2011 of nearly all the corruption charges against him, including that he tried to sell or trade President Barack Obama’s old Senate seat.

Blagojevich had faced 20 charges, including the Senate seat allegation and that he schemed to shake down executives for campaign donations. He was convicted on all charges regarding the Senate seat.

Jurors delivered their verdicts Monday after deliberating nine days. Blagojevich made a little gesture imitating the governor’s hero, Elvis Presley, saying, “Thank you very much.”

Blagojevich had testified for seven days, denying wrongdoing. Prosecutors said he lied and the proof was on FBI wiretaps. Those included a widely parodied clip in which Blagojevich calls the Senate opportunity “f—king golden.”

On 09/26/11, the President Reagan appointed U.S. District Judge James Zagel in Chicago indefinitely delayed Blagojevich's scheduled sentencing. Judge Zagel did not offer any reason for cancelling Blagojevich's Oct. 6 sentencing, saying simply, "it has been stricken until further order by the court."

54-year-old Blagojevich faces a maximum sentence of 305 years in prison. Most legal experts say Zagel is likely to sentence Blagojevich to around ten years if a sentencing date is ever set.

"Blago will be the fourth Illinois governor to go to prison (also known as the 'secure wing of the Governor’s Mansion') since 1973. He might be weird, but he does not like to break tradition."
    by Doug Powers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Default Re: News You May Have Missed

Hard-line Republican elites are worried that Ron Paul will win Iowa Caucus. Caucus vote count to be moved to a secret location for "security measures".

Fox News host Chris Wallace argues that if 2012 Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul wins the Iowa caucus it doesn't mean much.

"It's maddening how the establishment media continually discredits Ron Paul. There is a word for it.... It's BULLSHIT!"
    Cenk Uygur - host of The Young Turks

--------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Youcef Nadarkhani has been imprisoned since December, 2006 in Iran and is facing execution for refusing to recant his Christian faith.

Nadarkhani, once the leader of a 400-person congregation in Rasht, was previously convicted of apostasy -- the crime of abandoning Islam and converting to Christianity -- but Iran now claims that the death penalty reports that circulated around the world were unsubstantiated. The Iranian state media, Fars, is now making a stunning announcement that Nadarkhani is facing the death sentence for rape and extortion; not for apostasy and refusing to renounce his religion.

"His crime is not, as the Western media claims, converting others to Christianity. He is guilty of security-related crimes."

There has been no mention of other charges than apostasy in trial documents. In a ruling from the Iranian Supreme Court, translated into English (no mention of rape or extortion), Nadarkhani was sentenced to execution by hanging for, “turning his back on Islam” and “converting Muslims to Christianity.”

The ruling also alleges that he also participated in Christian worship by holding home church services and baptizing himself and others, effectively breaking Islamic Law.

The White House condemned the conviction and possible death sentence, saying the execution would further demonstrate Iranian authorities "utter disregard" for religious freedom.

It appears the Christian pastor will avoid the hangman in Iran for the time being.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

A nasty piece of unconstitutional legislation is currently being debated in Congress that would curtail most of the Internet freedom many Americans now take for granted. The draconian measure, known as the Stop Online Privacy Act (SOPA), is by far the boldest attempt by the U.S. government to enforce censorship of on-line content and stifle the very essence of free speech guarantees enshrined in the First Amendment.

Proponents, such as former Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) who took a job that pays millions to head the Motion Picture Association of America, claim the bill will curb the unauthorized hosting of copyright-protected movies, songs and software as well as combat the trade of counterfeit goods over the internet. These people would be grouped into Lieberman's "cyber attackers."

Opponents counter that the Lieberman legislation will give the government broad powers to shut down entire websites and make people more susceptible to legal action, based upon the feeblest evidence of copyright infringement. According to Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Tribe, "The language in this bill (SOPA) is so vague, an entire website containing tens of thousands of pages could be targeted if only a single page were accused of copyright infringement."

"China.... can disconnect parts of the Internet in case of war.
    We need to have that here, too."
    - Sen. Joe LIEBERMAN

Worse, the bill could serve to bring the U.S. one step closer to the type of censorship enforced in China and Iran.

There is no doubt Lieberman's SOPA will ultimately be used to target critics of the government and websites that provide a haven for whistleblowers.

Key words: "Time of War" and "Protect the Banks." - Wingfoot

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    17 years

It seems the Keystone Pipeline just got shot in the foot today. Damn, We really needed those jobs. Oh well, I guess our money is better sent to the middle east anyways. Grrrrrrrr........

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    It seems the Keystone Pipeline just got shot in the foot today. Damn, We really needed those jobs. Oh well, I guess our money is better sent to the middle east anyways. Grrrrrrrr........
    And the Labor Unions will still endorse Obama. 23,000 jobs delayed or lost.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    There are no hard numbers for this yet as far as jobs, and there wouldn't end up being very many permanent jobs either. These folks have a terrible track record for spills as well. And lastly, the vast majority of the oil in question would leave the continent. How was this supposed to be good for America again?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Alaska Pipeline turned out pretty well. It's all just a matter of perspective. I just fear doing nothing.
    Last edited by daman1; January 18th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    And the Labor Unions will still endorse Obama. 23,000 jobs delayed or lost.
    Trade unions are very active in PAC affiliation, labor unions are a small player.

Years of Experience

U.S. Bridges, Roads Being Built by Chinese Firms

------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    17 years

Try this with a gas engine. 0.8 second quarter mile. WOW !! They're so simple too. Not much more complicated than a cordless drill. Won't be long now and electric may actually be the motor of choice. All they need to do is improve the charging time and the distance between charges. It's just a matter of time.

Years of Experience

That's quick for a Electric Bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

That's the downside to electric: Long charge times and short distances. Electric cars would be great for around town but for a long trip you would need a gas car.

I wonder if Locate companies would embrace electric cars/trucks. I wonder if anyone has looked into it as an alternative.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

There are a lot of problems with electric cars. Relatively small storage capacity, expensive replacement, and declining performance within a couple of years. Another little problem is a lot of the raw materials used to produce the more efficient batteries is in relatively short supply in the U.S., which would make us dependent on foreign suppliers again.

I personally believe natural gas and/or hydrogen will have to be depended on in the future for the U.S. to continue it's highly mobile lifestyle.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I agree Spray. I love the thought of clean energy. The electric cars will perform as well as gas in a decade or so I think. Another 10 yrs before they last as long. Then the electric grid is gonna have to be MASSIVELY beefed up to handle the millions of cars. Power plants will have to be built. Each step taking years more. Power plants need fuel to produce the power (and pollution). We'll then have to manage all the battery waste. Batteries are expensive to replace and TOXIC in the dumps. They'll leave as big a footprint as a 55 Chevy.
    It's what we do for energy until all that happens that concerns me. The money for oil is gonna be spent regardless in the short-term. It's only a choice of whether we send it to our enemies or our allies. Or better yet, at least till then, use the resources we already have a little more wisely. Or even better yet, we can all argue political points and nothing will get done.
    Last edited by daman1; January 19th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast