Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By orangeboots

Thread: locating with having a family

Years of Experience

Default locating with having a family

Ok, is this possible? I have a 2 yr old and an amazing wife. Can anyone here vouch that yes, even with the long crazy hours, one can still maintain a family and joy with the family along with actually being a part of their family without sacrificing just to pay bills?
    Just curious

Years of Experience

Default Re: locating with having a family

No, overtime is needed as workload increases, also if it rains you out on tuesday, plan on working saturday. the only thing you can count on is that you cant count on anything other than the worst possible result.

Years of Experience

ya, it just sucks sometimes. (on call weeks)

Years of Experience

Its ok with a 2 year old but wait til they start sports etc you spend more time juggling your time
    Wingfoot and The Big-E like this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I don't know about every one else, but my company wouldn't let me take vacation in the summer time when kids have summer break. You deal with it, but it sucks

Mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

The company I was with in 09 was understaffed massively. The year my youngest son was born. I was either working or sleeping or on a call out. Made great money that year but I regret feeling like I missed almost the entire first year of his life. I wouldn't do it again if I could.

Years of Experience

one can still maintain a family????? how do you define this ? what do you mean ?
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hallet17 View Post
    Ok, is this possible? I have a 2 yr old and an amazing wife. Can anyone here vouch that yes, even with the long crazy hours, one can still maintain a family and joy with the family along with actually being a part of their family without sacrificing just to pay bills?
    Just curious
    Greetings Hallet! There has been a MAJOR change in the Missouri One-Call law for 2015. Here we are, over 3 weeks into the new law, and USIC is just now hiring the people needed to comply with the new law. You should have been hired back in October, 2014, or earlier, so you could be a factor today...... But I digress.

Since its inception, the national one-call system has always favored the utility companies and its locators. But in Missouri for 2015 and beyond, the scales have been tipped to favor the excavators. In a nutshell, every Missouri locate request generated must be completed within 3 working days; NO EXCEPTIONS............... No matter whether the requests are lengthy, complicated project tickets or single lot tickets, locators have three working days to "Git-R-Done." Failure to do so can result in hefty fines ($10,000) levied to the utility firms and locate companies by the Missouri State Attorney General. Extensions are possible, but what a pain in the ass that is for the locators. It is easier for the locator just to do the damn ticket than to jump through the many hoops to get a ticket extended.............. just sayin'.

With all that being said, the USIC locators that did not get laid off this winter are being used to keep today's locate requests from going past due. That is a good thing. It will be interesting to see if we have enough locators on board later this year to keep ahead of the locate requests during the spring, summer and fall dig season. With all the new help we are getting, this may turn out to be a year we can spend more time with our families. We shall see. Luv Ya Man!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------