Thread: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

Years of Experience

Default Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

College Education is the Largest Scam in American History!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

Mine was..... the women were well worth it though =)

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Excellent documentary !!! I'm so glad I got my education in the 80's. If you like this you'll definitely like "Waiting For Superman" (Google it). I have two school aged kids and I'm scared to death for them. The modern school system has become nothing but a consumer education camp that strips away any beliefs other that the politically correct and leaves kids incapable of surviving in future markets. I wish we could afford private schools but I'm just a locator. I'm pulling for home schooling and a good apprenticeship for them. Hopefully I can counteract the pop-culture media they're exposed to every day. Hopefully......

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I have often thought that college was a scam. The "well rounded education" line is just that... a line. Sure, you need an education if you wish to be an architect, engineer, biologist etc.... But, do you really need to take that class on art history to become a biologist. Does that class in American Literature really help you out when it comes to designing a bridge. Not one bit.

I have always thought this. I think a four year degree is 2 years too long. You can learn everything you need to know for most degrees in 2 years.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

this was excellent! I have 3 sons, the youngest just graduated from HS, and non of my kids thought college was the thing for them. My Middle and Youngest Son enlisted in the Navy before graduating... and my oldest has a job doing CAD design work and estimating for an outdoor fixture company. He's actually making more money than I am now. My middle son is an AT in the navy working on F/A 18's, and My Youngest is a Navy Sea Bee...
    One of the most difficult things that their mother and I had to do as they were growing up was combat the crap they they were being taught in public school. We stressed to them that there was only ONE reason for them to be there and that was for education.... not socialization... at home we taught them detailed history that they didn't learn at school, we taught them finance, we taught them conservative principles....Our Kids had a much better life growing up then we did... but they also were taught the value of an honest days labor for an honest days pay.. They were also taught that nothing in life is free... they wanted a car... they worked for it... they wanted expensive designer clothes.... they worked for it.... their car broke down... they worked to get the money to fix it... our kids in return didn't get into much trouble, if any... they know what respect is... and we are often complemented on how respectful they are....
    Truth of the matter is... education starts at home.... most parents forget that...

Years of Experience

yes .....except for doctors and lawyers......well, nevermind!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

come on yahoo I was getting my degree for web design, It is the best thing I can do for myself. Ninja.....yes still alive
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The information in this documentary presented here is excellent, just be warned that the National Inflation Association was created by Jonathan Lebed who was that 15 year old that was caught performing a pump and dump scheme with various stocks in the early 1999-2000 .com era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Lebed

No one else found it weird that the try to sell people on silver and gold at the end of the documentary?
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Albeit there has been a lot of polemic lately about whether young people should bother going to college with a bad economy and few jobs available, dropping out of college will be more expensive than staying at school. Here is the thing, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that in 2009, workers with a Bachelorís or higher had median weekly earnings of $1,137, compared to $726 for those with some college or an Associateís degree. High school graduates had median earnings of $626, and high school dropouts had median weekly earnings of $454. Unemployment is also lower for graduates. Therefore, regardless of degree, it is still better to have a college diploma because it is still the best license towards success.

Years of Experience

.....and web design.....ha .....hang in there Ninja!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
    come on yahoo I was getting my degree for web design, It is the best thing I can do for myself. Ninja.....yes still alive
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

What we need to do is separate consumerism from education. It shouldnít be the reserve of a select few, but accessible to everyone as a matter of right. Itís important to look for solutions like financial aid, shorter degree programs, vocational training, online classes, etc. that make higher education a reality for people in general rather than rubbishing the importance of college degree programs. Letís face it, without college the chances of succeeding in this cut throat corporate jungle are pretty dismal and thatís something unlikely to change very soon.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by cristinejackson View Post
    Albeit there has been a lot of polemic lately about whether young people should bother going to college with a bad economy and few jobs available, dropping out of college will be more expensive than staying at school. Here is the thing, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that in 2009, workers with a Bachelorís or higher had median weekly earnings of $1,137, compared to $726 for those with some college or an Associateís degree. High school graduates had median earnings of $626, and high school dropouts had median weekly earnings of $454. Unemployment is also lower for graduates. Therefore, regardless of degree, it is still better to have a college diploma because it is still the best license towards success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopherb View Post
    What we need to do is separate consumerism from education. It shouldnít be the reserve of a select few, but accessible to everyone as a matter of right. Itís important to look for solutions like financial aid, shorter degree programs, vocational training, online classes, etc. that make higher education a reality for people in general rather than rubbishing the importance of college degree programs. Letís face it, without college the chances of succeeding in this cut throat corporate jungle are pretty dismal and thatís something unlikely to change very soon.
    Considering the state of our public schools, there won't be enough students to pass the entrance exams anyways.

College degrees are okay if you choose your degree field very carefully. I have one child working as a librarian at a starting salary of $55K; second child working as an educator at a starting salary of $28K - far better start than I ever had without a college degree.