Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Wingfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    4,410
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    189

    Default Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    College Education is the Largest Scam in American History!



    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

  2. #2
    Mke
    Mke is offline
    Senior Member Mke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Republic of Washington
    Posts
    1,536
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    34
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    Mine was..... the women were well worth it though =)

    mke

  3. #3
    Premium Member daman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Off the deep end
    Posts
    1,121
    Years of Experience
    17 years
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    Excellent documentary !!! I'm so glad I got my education in the 80's. If you like this you'll definitely like "Waiting For Superman" (Google it). I have two school aged kids and I'm scared to death for them. The modern school system has become nothing but a consumer education camp that strips away any beliefs other that the politically correct and leaves kids incapable of surviving in future markets. I wish we could afford private schools but I'm just a locator. I'm pulling for home schooling and a good apprenticeship for them. Hopefully I can counteract the pop-culture media they're exposed to every day. Hopefully......

  4. #4
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    I have often thought that college was a scam. The "well rounded education" line is just that... a line. Sure, you need an education if you wish to be an architect, engineer, biologist etc.... But, do you really need to take that class on art history to become a biologist. Does that class in American Literature really help you out when it comes to designing a bridge. Not one bit.

    I have always thought this. I think a four year degree is 2 years too long. You can learn everything you need to know for most degrees in 2 years.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  5. #5
    Member Danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    99
    Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    this was excellent! I have 3 sons, the youngest just graduated from HS, and non of my kids thought college was the thing for them. My Middle and Youngest Son enlisted in the Navy before graduating... and my oldest has a job doing CAD design work and estimating for an outdoor fixture company. He's actually making more money than I am now. My middle son is an AT in the navy working on F/A 18's, and My Youngest is a Navy Sea Bee...
    One of the most difficult things that their mother and I had to do as they were growing up was combat the crap they they were being taught in public school. We stressed to them that there was only ONE reason for them to be there and that was for education.... not socialization... at home we taught them detailed history that they didn't learn at school, we taught them finance, we taught them conservative principles....Our Kids had a much better life growing up then we did... but they also were taught the value of an honest days labor for an honest days pay.. They were also taught that nothing in life is free... they wanted a car... they worked for it... they wanted expensive designer clothes.... they worked for it.... their car broke down... they worked to get the money to fix it... our kids in return didn't get into much trouble, if any... they know what respect is... and we are often complemented on how respectful they are....
    Truth of the matter is... education starts at home.... most parents forget that...

  6. #6
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,908
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    yes .....except for doctors and lawyers......well, nevermind!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  7. #7
    Senior Member NINJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    S.E. Florida
    Posts
    134
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    come on yahoo I was getting my degree for web design, It is the best thing I can do for myself. Ninja.....yes still alive
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

  8. #8
    Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Office Screen Country
    Posts
    196
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    The information in this documentary presented here is excellent, just be warned that the National Inflation Association was created by Jonathan Lebed who was that 15 year old that was caught performing a pump and dump scheme with various stocks in the early 1999-2000 .com era.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Lebed

    No one else found it weird that the try to sell people on silver and gold at the end of the documentary?
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    los angeles, california
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    Albeit there has been a lot of polemic lately about whether young people should bother going to college with a bad economy and few jobs available, dropping out of college will be more expensive than staying at school. Here is the thing, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that in 2009, workers with a Bachelorís or higher had median weekly earnings of $1,137, compared to $726 for those with some college or an Associateís degree. High school graduates had median earnings of $626, and high school dropouts had median weekly earnings of $454. Unemployment is also lower for graduates. Therefore, regardless of degree, it is still better to have a college diploma because it is still the best license towards success.

  10. #10
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,908
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    .....and web design.....ha .....hang in there Ninja!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
    come on yahoo I was getting my degree for web design, It is the best thing I can do for myself. Ninja.....yes still alive
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    What we need to do is separate consumerism from education. It shouldnít be the reserve of a select few, but accessible to everyone as a matter of right. Itís important to look for solutions like financial aid, shorter degree programs, vocational training, online classes, etc. that make higher education a reality for people in general rather than rubbishing the importance of college degree programs. Letís face it, without college the chances of succeeding in this cut throat corporate jungle are pretty dismal and thatís something unlikely to change very soon.

  12. #12
    Premium Member daman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Off the deep end
    Posts
    1,121
    Years of Experience
    17 years
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    Quote Originally Posted by cristinejackson View Post
    Albeit there has been a lot of polemic lately about whether young people should bother going to college with a bad economy and few jobs available, dropping out of college will be more expensive than staying at school. Here is the thing, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that in 2009, workers with a Bachelorís or higher had median weekly earnings of $1,137, compared to $726 for those with some college or an Associateís degree. High school graduates had median earnings of $626, and high school dropouts had median weekly earnings of $454. Unemployment is also lower for graduates. Therefore, regardless of degree, it is still better to have a college diploma because it is still the best license towards success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopherb View Post
    What we need to do is separate consumerism from education. It shouldnít be the reserve of a select few, but accessible to everyone as a matter of right. Itís important to look for solutions like financial aid, shorter degree programs, vocational training, online classes, etc. that make higher education a reality for people in general rather than rubbishing the importance of college degree programs. Letís face it, without college the chances of succeeding in this cut throat corporate jungle are pretty dismal and thatís something unlikely to change very soon.
    Considering the state of our public schools, there won't be enough students to pass the entrance exams anyways.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Are College Degrees a Waste of Money?

    College degrees are okay if you choose your degree field very carefully. I have one child working as a librarian at a starting salary of $55K; second child working as an educator at a starting salary of $28K - far better start than I ever had without a college degree.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •