Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By ifinditunderground
  • 1 Post By stormy
  • 2 Post By Wingfoot
  • 2 Post By LocatingAngel

Thread: Yep, another FNG here

Default Yep, another FNG here

Howdy Ladies and Gents!

Add another FNG to the ranks! I start training hopefully soon. I haven't had any kind of correspondence from the company since I accepted the job last week and I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into. I've read a lot of reviews from Glassdoor, CareerBliss, and this forum. I think I have a good grasp on how bad this job can be, but I've had some pretty crappy jobs before. But this gig kinda speaks to me. I love tech, I love the outdoors (ex 11 Bravo), and I love money...I guess two out of three ain't bad!

I hope to get a couple three years under my belt and go work for a real utility.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yep, another FNG here

Welcome to the show SM. Start your training now by reading these threads-ALL OF THEM!!!!
    yahoo and phoenix827 like this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

welcome to the VINE !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Thanks guys!
    I've been reading as much as I can here and on other vendor sites. Also been watching locator and device vids. I start training this week and I'm excited to dive in, should be a freakin' hoot! Hopefully lose this unemployment gut as well!

Years of Experience

If u make it through first 6months u might make it good luck learn from the old guys.
    LocatingAngel likes this.

So far training has gone very well. All brand new gear, trucks, Xplore tablet pc's, etc. Learning alot and we focus on practicing with the RD7000 locator sets. We get our keys on monday and start driver training. Should be a hoot!!!

Years of Experience

Welcome to the "small world" of locating. Learn the job, don't be afraid to ask questions and Always welcome help from those who offer it Good Luck to ya

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yes... Welcome Aboard.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy Milk View Post
    Howdy Ladies and Gents!

I start training hopefully soon. I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into. I think I have a good grasp on how bad this job can be. This gig kinda speaks to me. I love tech, I love the outdoors (ex 11 Bravo), and I love money...I guess two out of three ain't bad!

I hope to get a couple three years under my belt and go work for a real utility.
    Greetings Soggy Milk! Welcome to the world of utility locating. Bravo on focusing to expand your career to working for a utility company!

I offer a couple of suggestions to take some of the "bad" from the job of utility locating:

1.) Have your assigned supervisor pick a mentor to train you who has 3 to 5 years field experience. A good mentor will speed up your learning curve.

2.) It is good to speak to many field utility technicians to get a feel what utility company would be a good fit for you. My observations:

Cable TV = Nice equipment - Shitty bosses - Low pay - Too many hours - No future - CATV a dying breed.

Sewer & Water Departments = A few good bosses - The bigger the a-hole = The higher up the pole! - So/so pay for the workers - The money is in management - Shitty work (pun intended) - Politics/politics/and more politics!

Interstate Fiber Locator = Nice equipment - Shitty bosses - Good hourly pay - Extremely long hours - Over worked - Tickets follow the train tracks.

Telephone = Union job with no future - Not hired new people in 15+ years - Another dying breed - AT&T wants to be wireless by 2020!

Electric Lineman = Union job with a future - Never strike - Best paying utility job if you are not afraid of heights - Repeat six figure income a reality - Exciting (fak up once and you're dead!) - #8 most dangerous job in the world! - Play it safe and you can retire from this job........

Maybe an unsafe Lineman - Or maybe an unsafe Gas Man

Gas Man = Another union job with a future - Never strike - Second best paying utility job if you are a pussy about heights - Your feet never leave the ground - You can retire from this job also........

Good luck on your new locating career! Always remember your fellow members at The Cable Vine when you have questions that need answered about locating. Luv Ya Man!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; March 21st, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
    LocatingAngel and phoenix827 like this.

Thanks guys! Our trainers are very good and have been teaching us some of the tricks of the trade to us noobs. I got a good grasp of it for the most part, I'm sure the rest will come along in time.
    The out-of-towners showed up yesterday and I think they're out locating now. I heard in passing that we'll be out locating as early as next week.

Years of Experience

Wingfoot,
    Love your breakdown of the various utility jobs!!! Very well put
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Greetings Soggy Milk! Welcome to the world of utility locating. Bravo on focusing to expand your career to working for a utility company!

I offer a couple of suggestions to take some of the "bad" from the job of utility locating:

1.) Have your assigned supervisor pick a mentor to train you who has 3 to 5 years field experience. A good mentor will speed up your learning curve.

2.) It is good to speak to many field utility technicians to get a feel what utility company would be a good fit for you. My observations:

Cable TV = Nice equipment - Shitty bosses - Low pay - Too many hours - No future - CATV a dying breed.

Sewer & Water Departments = A few good bosses - The bigger the a-hole = The higher up the pole! - So/so pay for the workers - The money is in management - Shitty work (pun intended) - Politics/politics/and more politics!

Interstate Fiber Locator = Nice equipment - Shitty bosses - Good hourly pay - Extremely long hours - Over worked - Tickets follow the train tracks.

Telephone = Union job with no future - Not hired new people in 15+ years - Another dying breed - AT&T wants to be wireless by 2020!

Electric Lineman = Union job with a future - Never strike - Best paying utility job if you are not afraid of heights - Repeat six figure income a reality - Exciting (fak up once and you're dead!) - #8 most dangerous job in the world! - Play it safe and you can retire from this job........

Maybe an unsafe Lineman - Or maybe an unsafe Gas Man

Gas Man = Another union job with a future - Never strike - Second best paying utility job if you are a pussy about heights - Your feet never leave the ground - You can retire from this job also........

Good luck on your new locating career! Always remember your fellow members at The Cable Vine when you have questions that need answered about locating. Luv Ya Man!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wingfoot and Nb22x like this.

zen
    Years of Experience

welcome to the vine as well. maybe I will see you around. my company does work in Colorado and I actually just got back from Durango. learn well, you can go far.

Years of Experience

Thumbs up Re: Yep, another FNG here

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy Milk View Post
    Thanks guys! Our trainers are very good and have been teaching us some of the tricks of the trade to us noobs. I got a good grasp of it for the most part, I'm sure the rest will come along in time.
    The out-of-towners showed up yesterday and I think they're out locating now. I heard in passing that we'll be out locating as early as next week.
    Yes us out-of-town folksare here in CO. I'm from Maryland.
    We've been working 7 days a week at least 10 hours a day for a while now.

Still 3,000 tix behind, Xcel Energy is not happy about that, but oh well.
    How do you like the job so far? Busy much? I'm guessing UQ?

I been here for over a month, my area is north Denver,
    very busy! and good $$$.

Good luck to you!
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Years of Experience

Here is new one. I am currently doing job in Telecom company and here to learn something more about electronics and telecom. Hope I find good stuff here