Thread: What facts are allowed to be said about a company on this forum?

Years of Experience

Default What facts are allowed to be said about a company on this forum?

I was about to respond to a post about a locating company that wronged me. I wanted share my experience and I see that they removed the thread today.
    There goes the first ammendment out the window. Can I email you what I wanted to share and you decide if it can be posted? Not lies, or rants, just the facts.

Years of Experience

Default Re: What facts are allowed to be said about a company on this forum?

I would also like to know why that thread was taken down? I think this forum is a great resource for locators looking for advice and input. If a company has nothing to hide then they should not worry about it. If it was not the truth then other locators would stand up on behalf of them. Can you please let us know why it was pulled? Just curious.

Years of Experience

Never mind. I saw the post about him threatening to sue you. He can't though. Throw it back up.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markit View Post
    I was about to respond to a post about a locating company that wronged me. I wanted share my experience and I see that they removed the thread today.
    There goes the first ammendment out the window. Can I email you what I wanted to share and you decide if it can be posted? Not lies, or rants, just the facts.
    The first amendment doesn't apply here. This is a privately owned forum and is not subject to the first amendment. If you want to stand on a street corner and give your opinion on anything you want then the first amendment is on your side (for now)

The section called Company Info invites you to tell us who you work for and whether you would work for them again. That is the reason for that section. It isn't to get revenge or settle a score with somebody. If you were wronged by somebody then take it up with that person. I'm not here to take sides and I'm not here to referee a discussion, either.

What facts are allowed to be said about a company on this forum?
    Just say something like "yeah, I worked for them but I quit cause I couldn't take the B.S." or something along those lines. Leave it at that. When you start to get into detail then you are starting down a path that could lead you into trouble. I know that every side has their own story and people want to get it out. That is understandable, but, if it gets to the point where the story varies so widely that one could start calling the other a liar, then I'm not really sure if I want to deal with it. Just sayin'.

I try (I emphasize try) to adhere to a simple saying. "Never complain, Never explain". It is simple and wise.

Never Complain: People don't like a whiner and you look immature. If you don't like something or someone, nobody needs/wants to hear about it.
    Never explain: When you screw something up and you start to defend yourself then you are just offering up excuses and it doesn't do much for you in the end. Just accept that something went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again whether it was your fault or not.

Your family and co-workers will think more highly of you if you do this. (I don't mean you specifically, Markit, but I mean it in general)
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

I know this may sound strange, but this is a public forum, you sign up, and post. CABLE does a awesome job of weeding, but it still is public. I think there are enough spammers who are mad because we have a moderator and a group of people who want to stay on topic.
    This is not a locked website where you pay, nor an invitation has to be sent.
    A contractor, home owner, hell the pope can look at this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    I know this may sound strange, but this is a public forum, you sign up, and post. CABLE does a awesome job of weeding, but it still is public. I think there are enough spammers who are mad because we have a moderator and a group of people who want to stay on topic.
    This is not a locked website where you pay, nor an invitation has to be sent.
    A contractor, home owner, hell the pope can look at this.
    I think I understand what you are saying. If you are saying it is a public forum so the first amendment applies. If so then I will tell you I actually made that argument myself when I was getting kicked off a forum about 10 years ago.

Look at it this way. Lets say you buy a piece of land. You set it up with picnic tables and a swing set for the kids. You even have a small pond you stock with fish. You then open it to the public. It is basically a public park that you bought and paid for. No entrance fee. Nothing. You are proud of what you've done. The Pope might even show up some day. But, it is still your private land and you are responsible for what happens on that land. A kid falls off the swing and now you are afraid of getting sued. Now you think, crap, some kid could wander into the pond and drown. Holy crap. I need to rethink the pond idea.

Then one day you notice a small crowd making a scene. Your other guests are a little offended and start to complain or they just leave and don't come back. What are you going to do? The leader of the crowd says its a public park and they can do what they want. Is that true? Are you gonna walk away and let them continue?

I purchased the domain name and I have to renew it every year. I've spent well over a thousand dollars on software licenses and upgrades for the site. I pay a monthly fee to have this site hosted by a company that specializes in vBulletin forums. They cost a bit more but I think it is worth it. Not to mention the countless hours sitting in front of it reading and moderating what goes on. For about 3 of these years nobody really came here and I had to go out and promote it before people started trickling in. The phone calls I get when the site goes down. Now I have to decide if I should leave work and come home and take care of it. The spammers I put up with. Or, should I say the mods put up with. (Thanks again for the help) I'm sure there are a few other things I've forgotten.

So, I think I have a right to put a stop to something that I feel will be bad for the website. I don't stop any speech, just speech that I think will harm the reputation of this site. I may not make the right call but I am very confident that every call I make is based on fairness to everybody in the community. I hold no one person over another. Well, let me correct myself. If you have been on here and have hundreds of posts establishing a reputation for yourself, I will consider that over a person who is new. Either way I have always said this site is here for you guys. It is your park. All I ask is that you don't throw trash on the ground and don't throw people in the pond.

I hope that clears up my point of view. If you have any questions at all feel free to post them or you can send a PM.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; February 14th, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

To add to Steve's post in a less PC fashion:

1. You new guys aren't the first people that have come through here crying about First Amendment Rights, and you wont be the last, but I can tell you, it wont fly around here.

2. If you want to cry about First Amendment Rights, do us all a favor and use the "Search" function first. There has been plenty of discussion about the matter, do your homework before crying on your keyboard.

3. Steve was very diplomatic about the situation, but we can just cut to the chase, he's a fair man about the postings on his forum, but your whining about First Amendment Rights falls on deaf ears. It's his site, and we play by his rules. Don't like it, bug off. He puts up with all the Bullshit that comes as a result of reckless people posting whatever they want on this forum, not you.

4. Push the issue and you'll get banned, plain and simple. If you have questions or complaints, PM one of the mods or Steve.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    too many

While Im one for the first amendment I feel you should post what you want when you want and how you want...BUT.....as a poster I / we do not own this site or have any claim to it...Why would i/we want to put a site operator at risk for something that may or may not be true? Yes I love to vent on here and will slam the company i work for but it is not something i havent said to my companies face.
    By the way it is no secret who I am i refuse to come up with a screen name to post something If I have something to say I put my name with it...